Oct 21, 2009
I have just built the following PC:

MB: ASUS P6X58D-E ; 32nm 6-core cpu ready
CPU: Intel lga1366 i7 930
RAM: Corsair TR3X6G1333C7
Graphics: Asus EAH5770 CuCore/2DI/1GD5

HD: Western Digital caviar blacK WD1002FAEX
DVD Writer: LG GH24LS50
PSU: Corsair VX550W (the techs putting it together made me upgrade from the 450W to the 550W)
Wireless Network: D-Link DWA-547 rangebooster N

Monitor: Samsung XL2370

I plan to purchase a UPS. I just want something as a surge protector and to give me enough time to shut down and save.

Will this UPS work or do I need something bigger?

APC Back-ups CS BK650as / ei or do I need a 1100VA?

It will provide 2-5 minutes to shut down the system. Don't connect anything else to the UPS; if the load exceeds the 400W rating, then it will simply shutdown when a power failure occurs. That isn't what you want.

thescubadude

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Thanks... I do get what these people are saying and appreciatte your advice. I however cannot afford the more expensive UPS at this point.

I have read elsewhere that people have used APC Back-ups with active PFC PSU's and they do work. Does any one here have first hand experience of this?

It's not like I'm going to be running my pc off the UPS on a daily basis. It's just a precationary measure for the occasional issue. When the power is on it shouldn't make any difference and I've lost power once in the past 7 months - someone accidently pulled a plug!

thescubadude

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
With the $$ I just spent on the pc I don't have cash for the UPS. This means I would like to purchase one of the APC Back-ups so long and then upgrade to a better UPS later.

If they do run the PC but are not that great it will surely be better than no UPS?

Again if you have experience running an APC Back-ups with an active PFC PSU please let me know.

Thanks Again

If they do run the PC but are not that great it will surely be better than no UPS?
You are correct. I wouldn't recommend using a Back-UPS for a mission critical server, but it's fine for home use unless you live in an area where the UPS is an absolute must because of frequent over or under voltage or power failures that occur almost on a daily basis. If you live in an area where you get a couple power failures a year, then that UPS definitely meets your requirements. I use Smart-UPS only because I buy them used for the cost of a Back-UPS and they are much better.

banthracis

Distinguished

Yes it's better than no UPS. However, it would be the equivalent of running your car on kitchen grease. Will it work? Sure, but every time you do, you'll be damaging the engine.

The other consideration is that active PCF PSU's take current throughout a Power cycle. As a result, stepped sine waves may cause sudden changes in current being delivered.

What this means is that depending on PSU and UPS, it's entirely possible that when on battery power, there may not be enough current, and as a result, the PSU shuts downs, partially defeating the purpose of the UPS.

You'll have to ask Corsair or the UPS company for more details.