Computer randomly restarts

mdgoalie

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hey guys, I'm having a problem with a computer I built a few weeks ago. It seems to randomly restart, about once a day, for no apparent reason. Normally I'm just on the internet with google chrome. When it restarts, it says that windows shut down improperly, but other than that, I haven't had any issues.

My computer
Windows 7
i7-930
x58A-ud3R gigabyte
Antec Truepower new 750W
6GB triple channel OCZ3G1600LV6GK
HD 5850
2X1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3

I downloaded all the new drivers for my motherboard and graphics card.

I read that often times this kind of thing could be an issue with the ram.

The ram I got is rated for 8-8-8-24, 1600 MHZ at 1.65V

I'm not an expert on bios settings, but it was showing that it defaulted to 7-7-7-16 at 1066 at 1.5V.

I tried to bump it to its recommended timings and voltage, but it wouldn't post. Also, it wouldn't allow me to get to 1.65, it only allowed 1.64 or 1.66, it jumps by .02 each time. I even tried to relax the timings even further but it still does the seemingly random reboot about once a day.

Does this sound like a ram issue?

What are the exact steps I should run through to determine the cause?

Thanks

I set my OCZ RAM at 1.64 since the bios has 1.66 red flagged as "dangerous".

You need to watch out for the CPU multiplier you are using and make sure it doesnt cause the frequency to go over 1600. Mine seems to run stable below 1500, but above there I get occasional problems.

Check on OCZs website, there is probably already an answer for the exact settings someone else used with that RAM and motherboard.