Can't get Samsung 830, what's option #2?

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Seems like almost everyone is recommending the Samsung 830 but the store where I'll buy my new PC doesn't have any Samsung SSDs.

Would a 128gb Crucial M4 be ok instead? (115.00 CAD$)

There are also selling those SSD brands:
-Corsair
-Intel
-Kingston
-OCZ
-Sandisk

THe guy from the store recommended me the OCZ but they were more expensive. Are they that much better?
135$ for a 128gb Agility 4
155$ for a 128gb Vertex 4

Thanks for your help

Solution
The OCZ is likely the fastest in the benchmark, and 830, M4, and intel are the most reliable. You can notice the difference between them in real usage.

Check the link for the OZC review (you cn google that you can find a lot of them too)
http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/ocz-vertex-4-128gb-ssd-review-fw-1-4/

I will recommend to buy M4, intel, kingston 3K, and samsung(but N/A). Also you can buy online like the newegg.ca. It is less expensive. One more thing when you buy the SSD try to buy the less expenxive per GB/$$$...
The OCZ is likely the fastest in the benchmark, and 830, M4, and intel are the most reliable. You can notice the difference between them in real usage.

Check the link for the OZC review (you cn google that you can find a lot of them too)
http://www.kitguru.net/components/ssd-drives/zardon/ocz-vertex-4-128gb-ssd-review-fw-1-4/

I will recommend to buy M4, intel, kingston 3K, and samsung(but N/A). Also you can buy online like the newegg.ca. It is less expensive. One more thing when you buy the SSD try to buy the less expenxive per GB/$$$.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006693%20600038478&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=636%7C20%2D167%2D121%5E20%2D167%2D121%2DTS%2C20%2D239%2D045%5E20%2D239%2D045%2DTS%2C20%2D227%2D791%5E20%2D227%2D791%2DTS%2C20%2D148%2D442%5E20%2D148%2D442%2DTS

Solution

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, I wish I could buy online, but I don't know anything about putting PC parts together so I feel more comfortable buying my parts somewhere in my area and having them put the whole thing together.
My PC will probably cost me 150-200$ more though :(

DeusAres

Distinguished
My recommendation...

Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

I also highly encourage you to give building it yourself a try. There's nothing to it. There's plenty of tutorials on youtube as well as written ones to help you along the way. If you want links, I'll gladly link you to some.

I have yet to build my own PC yet; I'm extremely eager to do so. I feel like I could honestly put one together right now if I had or was given the parts.

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, that's what people been telling me.
Maybe I should try it, but even if I learn how to do it, I was having the impression it would be a hassle to order parts from a bunch of different online stores if some of those parts get here damaged or defective.

But since so many people are doing it, it must not happen often.

DeusAres

Distinguished

Gorrath

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

Not trying to be an asshole here.

F*** the tutorials people. Most things bring instructions, directions, and even pictures on their manuals.

I thank god there are idiots out there that don't know a thing about a computer, but to only go on Facebook. It keeps me happy and hopefully will land me a job in the future.

The only thing you have to worry about aside from compatibility issues -- lets say for instance you have a motherboard that only takes SATA drives and you accidentally buy an IDE instead (in reality this won't happen because they are fairly rare now).

The only thing you have to worry about is putting the right power, reset, lights etc connectors on the motherboard.

If you were to buy a motherboard and a case it will more than likely be compatible or fit in the case. All you need to do is figure out what cables go were, and there are literally stickers, diagrams, arrows, and words that guide you to everything.

If you were to read the directions and follow them you will get it accomplished.

Hell even with someone who is highly experienced they have to read to know which parts can go with what.

I have a x58 based motherboard. I know my mobo only supports 3 sticks of RAM in a triple channel config. What will I look for a triple channel kit of RAM. I won't look at quad channel, or dual channel.

I know some people aren't tech savvy at all, but if you are a gamer or at least a general PC user that does more than just go on facebook you should highly invest in learning about computers. It is easy and will save you money in the long run.

Its going to be the new repair man schemes in the future. When a cable goes loose, or something simple happens in your computer a repair man is going to jerk you out of your money more than likely. And even if they don't the repair costs are so substantial and aren't worth it.

Hell go to Best Buy and see how ridiculous the Geek Squad prices are for the simplest things in the world too. Also my sisters mother in law who had a Mac had her hard drive fail and wanted to get all the data from it, they charged her over $3k for it. I know this isn't a simple thing, but I have had a lot of success getting data from failed hard drives.

And to get back on point, I think anything but an OCZ is good. OCZ hasn't had the best reputation in the reliability dept with SSD's. They are very fishy now. They could be better now, and yes performance wise they are the best.

But go with something else anything really just to be on the safe side.

For the price point, reliability, and performance I went with a 256GB Crucial M4 myself. The price wasn't the biggest factor, but I just saw overall in general the Crucial M4 was the best. Intel was good but I believe IIRC their speed wasn't some of the best, and their price point is some of the highest.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011

If it was lower in price the day I made my purchase I would have gone for it. I'm looking to make a build in the future and strictly use Mushkin.

Their products are extremely top notch and high quality.

I was sad to get rid of some RedLine RAM I had, it was running @1600mhz, 7-7-7-24, @1.5v I believe. That nice thick red heatsink, damn you can just feel it and know it was quality.

I chose to stick with this set of Patriot RAM because it matched my build a lot better.

But again will definitely go with the black and green color scheme of their products. I'm actually upset they don't use the Ridgeback heatsink in most of their newer RAM sets.