Sign in with
Your question

New system not booting, but turning on.

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2010 6:58:27 PM

Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD Evo (no onboard video before you ask me to try it)
CPU: AMD X4 635
GPU: GTS 250
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
RAM: 4x 2Gb OCZ Reaper DDR3 12800C6

Hi guys, just built a new PC today, and now it won't boot. I opened up my old PC just to check and see if everything was the same in case I forgot something silly, and everything is the same cable-wise.

When I first turned it on, everything worked apparently, the CPU fan started turning, the GPU fan too, I could hear the hard drives spinning, everything heating up... But wouldn't actually boot.

Things I've looked at:
- It's pretty clear the mobo power, and PSU are fine.
- It's not the graphics card. I used the one im using right now on the new system and it wont display anything. Obvioulsy this one works. HOWEVER, I can only plug in DVI, would it really make any difference in VGA in this situation? If so then frankly I'm screwed.
- The CPU fan is plugged in and working, im pretty sure I put the CPU in the right way, I remember putting it in, taking it back out to check and putting it back in, so I dont see how I could have messed that up.
- I have all power connectors in properly including the ATX +12V CPU power.
- I have tried booting with different combinations of RAM, including just 1 stick in port 1.
- Hard drives are in securely and spin when PC is turned on.
- I already have more power than needed so it's not a lack of power.
- One thing I HAVENT done that ive heard about is resetting the CMOS because I wasnt sure which thing it was on the mobo, but would that really change anything in this case anyway?

I've never had this problem before and have no idea why everything would be "working" but not............ It just turns on like a PC should do but no boot.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. I could really use some help to avoid taking this to a technician and paying a fortune for something that is clearly something minor, and quite embarrassing having built a load of PC's before with no problems...

More about : system booting turning

July 7, 2010 7:48:09 PM

Um, is your monitor VGA or DVI? Make sure monitor is accepting the correct input.

Also, read the sticky. Not sure if the GTS 250 require s 4 or 6 pin, if it does make sure it's connected.

July 7, 2010 7:49:48 PM

banthracis said:
Um, is your monitor VGA or DVI? Make sure monitor is accepting the correct input.

Also, read the sticky. Not sure if the GTS 250 require s 4 or 6 pin, if it does make sure it's connected.

I dont mean to sound like a jerk when i say this but, that was a completely useless answer. I already answered the 2 things you just said in the original post.
Related resources
July 7, 2010 8:23:22 PM

There is no mention of monitor settings or whether or not GPU 6pin is connected.

Further, I directed you to read the sticky, which you apparently have not.

If you're gonna ask strangers to donate their time to help you, the least you could do is actually read their responses.
July 7, 2010 8:33:34 PM

banthracis said:
There is no mention of monitor settings or whether or not GPU 6pin is connected.

Further, I directed you to read the sticky, which you apparently have not.

If you're gonna ask strangers to donate their time to help you, the least you could do is actually read their responses.

How the hell would you know if I read it or not? That is the stupidest thing I"ve ever heard.
And what the hell are you even talking about "not reading"?? YOU are the one who gave me an answer that was completely useless because you didnt read MY post. You might as well have just said that to the mirror. Don't get all up on your high horse when you really should be talking to yourself. You're such a hipocrite.

"Um, is your monitor VGA or DVI? Make sure monitor is accepting the correct input. "
I already said: "I can only plug in DVI"
"Not sure if the GTS 250 require s 4 or 6 pin, if it does make sure it's connected."
I already said: "I have all power connectors in properly"

And might I add that you still havent helped me at all, so if you're not going to, go elsewhere to waste my time.
July 7, 2010 9:13:41 PM

OMG guys come on. Don't you think I've already done that? Besides the fact that when I listed the things ive done I mentioned basically everything on that list? Maybe thats because I was taking it from that list. I'm going to give up if the next post is not an actual person who will actually try to help me.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 9:27:19 PM

First off, you are claiming "no boot" but I don't think you mean that. You should be clearer.

What you mean is that you are not getting anything on the display. For all you know the PC is booting fine.

There are several steps in the referenced sticky that I do not think you have done yet. Many people have helped create that list and it's serious help.

If the PC is truly failing to POST then there will be a beep code generated that will help you... but then you know that already as you have read the sticky.
July 7, 2010 9:34:29 PM

There is no need to be so rude everyone here is trying to help banthracis said the obvious and standard for this kind of problem it may not be useful in your case but he's helping. And the questions he asked were not answered in your first post or maybe we seriously lack reading between the lines skills although I doubt that.

Now to the problem. I had a similar issue recently. It was clear what the problem was there though. When the cpu power was not connected my system powered up(lights, fans, etc) but nothing happend on my screen. It seemed to be on but it actually wasn't because there wasn't even cpu power. The problem I presumed was a short-circuit in the cpu power circuits. I sent the mobo back and got my money. Maybe you have a similar issue.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2010 9:50:23 PM

You obviously haven't performed EVERY step in the checklist if you don't even know how to reset your CMOS. That's covered by step #1 in the checklist. I also don't see any mention of beep codes (or if you even have a system speaker), breadboarding, or how exactly you've come to the conclusion that the PSU is working. The fact that it can muster enough power to run a few fans and hard drives doesn't mean it's putting out enough clean power to run a system.

The reason people refer to the sticky is because we get a ton of posts exactly like this every single day. In fact, that's why the checklist was created. You have to perform EVERY step in the checklist or it won't help. We're all taking our own time to try to help you, but I'm not sure why based on your responses. I guess you could just do like the rest of the noobs and start randomly replacing perfectly good hardware until you accidentally "solve" the problem if you aren't open to the suggestions given.
July 8, 2010 1:31:42 AM

shortstuff_mt said:
You obviously haven't performed EVERY step in the checklist if you don't even know how to reset your CMOS. That's covered by step #1 in the checklist. I also don't see any mention of beep codes (or if you even have a system speaker), breadboarding, or how exactly you've come to the conclusion that the PSU is working. The fact that it can muster enough power to run a few fans and hard drives doesn't mean it's putting out enough clean power to run a system.

The reason people refer to the sticky is because we get a ton of posts exactly like this every single day. In fact, that's why the checklist was created. You have to perform EVERY step in the checklist or it won't help. We're all taking our own time to try to help you, but I'm not sure why based on your responses. I guess you could just do like the rest of the noobs and start randomly replacing perfectly good hardware until you accidentally "solve" the problem if you aren't open to the suggestions given.

You are such a troll, why dont you bugger off and be a smart ass elsewhere. The reason I'm being rude is because to me you guys are all being rude. In every single one of your statements you have tried to be helpfull yes, but never has it been without a smart ass comment. And that offends me. keep your smart ass comments to yourselves.
And the reason I say to you in perticular that you are a troll is because I PERTICULARLY SAID that the CMOS step was the ONLY one I hadnt done, so you decide to be picky and say "You obviously haven't performed EVERY step in the checklist", what kind of 100% perfect idiot are you?
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 2:08:44 AM

could be a faulty motherboard. do you have another computer that can use the ram, video card and psu? if so try them on the other computer to see if its working. if you dont like my comment then i wont help you
July 8, 2010 2:13:01 AM

sOul rEapER 13 said:
You are such a troll, why dont you bugger off and be a smart ass elsewhere. The reason I'm being rude is because to me you guys are all being rude. In every single one of your statements you have tried to be helpfull yes, but never has it been without a smart ass comment. And that offends me. keep your smart ass comments to yourselves.
And the reason I say to you in perticular that you are a troll is because I PERTICULARLY SAID that the CMOS step was the ONLY one I hadnt done, so you decide to be picky and say "You obviously haven't performed EVERY step in the checklist", what kind of 100% perfect idiot are you?

There is a reason resetting the CMOS is #1 stupid.

www.google.com Search: How to reset CMOS for retards.

Was that smart ass enough for you?
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 2:15:28 AM

sOul rEapER 13 said:
Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD Evo (no onboard video before you ask me to try it)
CPU: AMD X4 635
GPU: GTS 250
PSU: Cooler Master GX 750W
RAM: 4x 2Gb OCZ Reaper DDR3 12800C6

Hi guys, just built a new PC today, and now it won't boot. I opened up my old PC just to check and see if everything was the same in case I forgot something silly, and everything is the same cable-wise.

When I first turned it on, everything worked apparently, the CPU fan started turning, the GPU fan too, I could hear the hard drives spinning, everything heating up... But wouldn't actually boot.

Things I've looked at:
- It's pretty clear the mobo power, and PSU are fine.
- It's not the graphics card. I used the one im using right now on the new system and it wont display anything. Obvioulsy this one works. HOWEVER, I can only plug in DVI, would it really make any difference in VGA in this situation? If so then frankly I'm screwed. try switching the new video card and put it in your old computer. if the video card works on the old computer it could be a faulty motherboard or ram.
- The CPU fan is plugged in and working, im pretty sure I put the CPU in the right way, I remember putting it in, taking it back out to check and putting it back in, so I dont see how I could have messed that up.
- I have all power connectors in properly including the ATX +12V CPU power.
- I have tried booting with different combinations of RAM, including just 1 stick in port 1. did you try in other ports. could be the port 1 is faulty.
- Hard drives are in securely and spin when PC is turned on.
- I already have more power than needed so it's not a lack of power.
- One thing I HAVENT done that ive heard about is resetting the CMOS because I wasnt sure which thing it was on the mobo, but would that really change anything in this case anyway? could be a refurbished motherboard and they forgot to reset the settings for bios

I've never had this problem before and have no idea why everything would be "working" but not............ It just turns on like a PC should do but no boot.

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. I could really use some help to avoid taking this to a technician and paying a fortune for something that is clearly something minor, and quite embarrassing having built a load of PC's before with no problems...

a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 2:16:06 AM

cmcghee358 said:
There is a reason resetting the CMOS is #1 stupid.

www.google.com Search: How to reset CMOS for retards.

Was that smart ass enough for you?

nice one
July 8, 2010 2:27:29 AM

duplicate
July 8, 2010 2:28:16 AM

sOul rEapER 13 said:

I am afraid that you, my little friend, need to be sent to time out! You come on this forum expecting us to read the tea leaves because you have not been clear in what you are saying, have shown little interest in cooperating, have a huge chip on your shoulder, cannot spell, and are generally just offensive. So I thought I would add a post that adds zero value to helping you because you seem so disinterested in helping yourself. I think actually you are the troll...go back to the play pen from whence you came from and leave us in peace. :hello: 
a b à CPUs
July 8, 2010 12:55:39 PM

sOul rEapER 13 said:

LOL - That's a good one! You're calling me a troll?! Have you seen who the author of the troubleshooting sticky is? I've put a ton of work into that checklist to help noobs just like you. It says in red letters right at the top of the checklist "It's very important to actually perform every step in the checklist if you want to effectively troubleshoot your problem." The troubleshooting checklist is a compilation of ideas from many forum members and is constantly updated. You're not going to find many suggestions in this forum that aren't already in the checklist. Just about everybody coming here asking for help SAYS they've gone through the checklist, but very few have actually performed every step before posting.

We're just keeping the smart-ass tone you yourself set in your first reply to banthracis. He came here trying to be helpful by asking a couple questions and directing you to the checklist and you decided to be a dick about it. That doesn't sit well with any of the regulars around here and certainly won't get you any help.
July 8, 2010 11:26:07 PM

sOul rEapER 13 said:
How the hell would you know if I read it or not? That is the stupidest thing I"ve ever heard.
And what the hell are you even talking about "not reading"?? YOU are the one who gave me an answer that was completely useless because you didnt read MY post. You might as well have just said that to the mirror. Don't get all up on your high horse when you really should be talking to yourself. You're such a hipocrite.

"Um, is your monitor VGA or DVI? Make sure monitor is accepting the correct input. "
I already said: "I can only plug in DVI"
"Not sure if the GTS 250 require s 4 or 6 pin, if it does make sure it's connected."
I already said: "I have all power connectors in properly"

And might I add that you still havent helped me at all, so if you're not going to, go elsewhere to waste my time.

"I can only plug in DVI"
TO what? Are you talking about Monitor?, GPU? Your ass? We're not mind readers.

"I have all power connectors in properly" Everyone who comes here says that. A lot of hem either missed the Mobo 4 pin or GPU 6/8pin. Unless stated, explicitly, we kindly remind people about those.

You never stated you read the checklist, and since you apparently missed this link, and make no mention of half the stuff on the checklist, there no indication you read it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-tro...

No one's gonna donate their time to help you if you're gonna be a rude jerk. You're the one coming to us for help, not the other way around. Also, doesn't help to insult practically every major troubleshooting contributor on these forums.

!