Cmos password

pugwash007

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
Hello,
hi i have acquired a toshiba equium l20-197 laptop needs cmos password to boot up only trouble is have not got password as owner passed away and did not tell his wife password can you help

Reset the CMOS by removing the RTC battery on the motherboard (Lithium CR 2032). Leave the battery out for 10 minutes. Re-install the battery. This will reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Proceed from there. (If you remove the memory cover under the laptop, you will see the RTC battery).

pugwash007

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

hi did what you said went to boot up but nothing only a faint ticking sound when press power button any ideas

Ticking (or clicking) sound is an indication of HDD failure. This type of sound usually starts out as an intermittent (occasional) click, then happens more frequently until HDD failure occurs.

Someone who is familiar with HDD clicking should be right next to the computer and listen for this.

pugwash007

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

checked hdd nothng wrong the ticking is near power switch

pugwash007

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011

CHECKED HDD WORKS FINE

cykat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
If it's an asus - I would suggest that the power buttton is next to the speakers - and the ticking is possibly a key stuck ( turn the laptop upside down and smack it like a naughty kid - I'm not kidding here, it will often fix a stuck key).

Alternately - you might have bumped the ram - which might have caused it to "tick" from a memory error - take the ram out, give the slots a going over with a clean paintbrush (painting them with 2 year old paint doesn't help) and then re-seat the ram.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers,
Ross.