HD not recognized in Explorer?

TomH426

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Hi all,
I just finished my build. Win 7 istalled on ssd and drivers updated.
But i have a problem. Now that all that is complete i hooked up my storage drive ( wd caviar blue 500 gb )
and although it appears in device manager and in bios boot area as a selection, it does not appear in windows explorer.

maybe i am just too tired, ( it's been a long day ) but i am stumped as to why its not there.

any suggestions?

Thanks.

the build....

i5-3570k
Asus P8Z77-V
Samsung 128gb ssd
Gigabyte gtx 670oc
Hyper 212 evo
Crucial Ballistix sport 2x4gb ( 8gb total)

Solution
Is the storage drive a new drive? Have you looked in Storage under Computer Management to see if the drive has an active partition?
Try running this: %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
Then click on Disk Management under Storage
You may need to create a partition and format the drive.
Is the storage drive a new drive? Have you looked in Storage under Computer Management to see if the drive has an active partition?
Try running this: %windir%\system32\compmgmt.msc /s
Then click on Disk Management under Storage
You may need to create a partition and format the drive.

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi Tom,

When you attach a HDD (or SSD) to a data storage port, like a PATA or SATA connector, it will show up in the MB BIOS setup.
When the Windows OS recognizes a HDD, it will show up in the device manager as a hardware device.
When windows explorer sees a HDD volume, it uses the volume recognized by a drive letter.

So possibly in Disk Management, you should check, and assign a drive letter to the Disk Volume, (Descriptive Name optional) and it will then be recognized in the file structure in windows explorer.

It can get confusing!

I can remember several years ago, really late nights where I was having trouble with an HP Travan backup tape drive, and was so tired, couldn't even think of the correct questions as the poor HP tech in Denver finally came on the line. We,ve all been down that road a time or two!