Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will I be held back?

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2010 1:33:53 AM

I have
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I originally got it because it was the cheapest dual core.

Dispite being weak it's a vast improvement over the celeron dual core in my last computer.

Still, I'll be getting a gtx 460 soon, will I hold my self back with this?

I don't multitask more than playing music and/or watching dvds while online.

More about : held back

a b à CPUs
September 5, 2010 2:05:30 AM

I dont think u will be. its a decent cpu. u can even juice it up a little with some mild gentle overclock.

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 5, 2010 2:08:17 AM

That CPUs fine. It won't bottle neck the GTX460. If you haven't already done so, OC that CPU to 3.6Ghz easily if you need more performance.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 5, 2010 2:45:31 AM

Do OC it, it will hold the GTX460 back for CPU intensive games, but it wont be THAT vad,
a c 803 à CPUs
September 5, 2010 2:54:26 AM

+3
September 5, 2010 5:42:25 PM

I meant weak compared to a i7 for example. :D 

i don't know if I can over clock too well with my board though.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 2:00:51 PM

MechaNintendoMaster said:
I meant weak compared to a i7 for example. :D 

i don't know if I can over clock too well with my board though.

What board?
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 9:53:52 PM

I'm afraid you cant OC on that other than raising the BCLK. Ill be surprised if you hit 3.1Ghz.
September 6, 2010 10:10:56 PM

I thought so, but I've heard of people in reviews doing it.

( check some reviews there. )

How did they do it ( if they really did )
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:16:35 PM

It's not an excellent board, but you should at least have the option of selecting the CPU FSB and the CPU multiplier along with voltage for the CPU.

Quote:
I'm afraid you cant OC on that other than raising the BCLK. Ill be surprised if you hit 3.1Ghz.

BCLK is for i7,etc not C2D/C2Qs :lol: 
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:22:13 PM

Shadow703793 said:
It's not an excellent board, but you should at least have the option of selecting the CPU FSB and the CPU multiplier along with voltage for the CPU.

Quote:

BCLK is for i7,etc not C2D/C2Qs :lol: 

Whoops, wrong term.
But AFAIK, on Gigabyte S2 boards, all you have is multi and FSB, no voltage for anything.
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:27:05 PM

^ True. But "Auto" voltages should be enough to get OP to 3.3Ghz or so. Sure, the voltages may be a little higher and therefor the CPU will run hotter, but you can't have everything.....
September 14, 2010 12:16:00 AM

Best answer selected by MechaNintendoMaster.
a c 96 à CPUs
September 14, 2010 2:57:01 PM

You should wait a month or so for the new AMD Radeons.

Verify you have the most current BIOS. At the main BIOS screen press <Ctrl> + <F1> for expanded menu options.

1) Set the Memory Clock to *Manual*
2) Drop the Memory Clock setting back one speed
3) Lock the PCIe to 100MHz

Maximum vCore per AMD spec is 1.4v. At 240MHz base clock you should be running 3.48GHz with your RAMs at spec. Max temps at load should not exceed 74c.

It is not uncommon for GB AMD chipsets to hit 280MHz base clock with good cooling --- not sure about your chipset. If yah want to give it a crank above 240MHz you should drop your memory clock back another notch.

Here's my unlocked Sempy on a GB 785g (using an old Opty copper-heatpipe cooler) -- didn't break a sweat but I didn't go higher because of my lack of FET cooling ...

Snag CPUz and HWMonitor. Grab OCCT for stress testing.

!