Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1200 gaming/image manipulation machine

Last response: in Systems
July 7, 2010 9:18:27 PM

Hello everyone. I have been researching for a week or two and have now settled on some parts for my new build. There are a couple of things I am unsure about, also I would like to ask the obvious compatibility question.

I have filled out the "How to ask for new build advice" template:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: This week/next week

BUDGET RANGE: Pricing is somewhat different in Denmark - I'm willing to spend about 10.000 kr. which is 1,695.76 USD, but most components are more expensive in Denmark, so it's probably more like 1200 USD. (I'm not entirely certain)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (RTS/football manager), image manipulation, surfing and doing college homework

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Screen, DVD-drive, Sound card

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: www.getmore.dk

PARTS PREFERENCES: None, though quality across the board - no cheep & cheerful please.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes! SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1280*1024 at the moment, though I will later buy a bigger monitor, perhaps 1920x1200, perhaps even bigger! (mainly to make my computer even better for image manipulation).

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like a quiet PC, preferably not too blingy :) . Because one of the games I play most is football manager (which is very processor/memory intensive, but not so graphically intensive) I am spending a larger chunk of my moneys on that department

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of components selected, including comments and questions:

Intel Core i7 920
- I am hoping to overclock this to 4.2 Ghz or thereabout.

2 x Radeon HD 5750
- this is probably the biggest question for me. I want something that wont be outdated too quickly, so...based on the "Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July" article I'm either getting HD 5830 (1600kr), 2 x HD 5750 (1800kr) or HD5850 (2000kr). I know the currency won't make much sense to you but I'm trying to illustrate the price difference.

Gigabyte’s X58A-UD3R
- Reviews of this are great, so I'm pretty certain I want it - but perhaps it's overkill?

2 x Corsair 2048 MB DDR3-1333
- Nothing to see here

Thermaltake Element S VK60001W2Z
- I like the design, but I also want to know: will all of the above graphic cards fit in it?

Corsair TX650W
- Is this sufficient??? I feel very unsure here!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- Will later be supplemented with a SSD. I will also install a 330 Gb barracuda from my old machine.

Noctua NH-D14
- I want my CPU running stable in the overclock so I want a good cooler. But is this overkill?

I hope you can answer some of my questions. I will add pricing to all the items, and even links to the danish website I'm buying from if you want - that is, if you think that would be useful

Thankyou ever so much for your time!
- Luke

Best solution

July 7, 2010 9:27:07 PM

Hey,

Get tripple channel memory (like 2x3GB DDR3). Get a single 5850 if you can. If not, 2x5750 is a good choice. The PSU is sufficient.

Related resources
July 7, 2010 9:43:55 PM

Eg. you need 3 modules. For this configuration the optimal would be 6GB (3x2GB)
m
l
July 7, 2010 9:44:28 PM

Ah, I figured it out ^_^. You meant 3 x 2GB - which means you meant I should buy three sticks to maximise the MB potential :-)

On a sidenote: are these better than the corsair ones? They're almost the same price
http://getmore.dk/k%C3%B8b-ocz-gold-dual-channel-kit-bi...

EDIT: Appears you answered while I was posting.
m
l
July 7, 2010 9:45:32 PM

Eh. Don't think so. These are good too.
m
l
July 7, 2010 9:46:47 PM

Cool. I'll find a tripple kit then :)  And you're certain the 5850 will fit the case?
m
l
July 7, 2010 10:45:36 PM

Best answer selected by tehniobium.
m
l
July 8, 2010 8:28:37 AM

tehniobium said:
Cool. I'll find a tripple kit then :)  And you're certain the 5850 will fit the case?

Yes, it will fit in the case:) 
m
l
!