Hdd won't format from XP disk

adamcan2

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
i have a Seagate ST340015A hdd that formerly had XP on it, but now won't boot at all. I don't need the files on it, so I attempted to do a format from the WinXP DVD. The format gets to 80% and just hangs. I have tried it multiple times on different systems with the same result. Any ideas?

Boot from the xp disc and run a check disk. That should fix it.

I don't think it's a bad disk it's just a bad file table. Checkdisk will fix that.

ace700

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
could be a faulty cd or faulty motherboard or you could do a compelet format using ultimate boot cd. it will have alot of good programs on there to check if your hard drive is good

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Download Seagate's free diagnostic tool set, Seatools for DOS. I prefer the "for DOS" version. You use it to burn your own bootable CD-R (or floppy if you have one). Then you boot from that with absolutely no need for any working HDD. It loads a mini-DOS into RAM and lets you run all its diagnostics from a menu. Make sure you are working ONLY on the suspect Seagate unit.

Run the diagnostics and see what it says are its problems. If they are bad you may need to chuck the HDD and buy a new one. But if not, use its tool to Zero-Fill the disk. This also forces it to check every sector and replace any bad ones with good spare ones. It takes a long time, and it is possible if there are a lot of bad sectors that it could trip the SMART alarm for too many. But if it completes that, Windows will find it is dealing with a flawless HDD and should be able to handle it smoothly.

Xxsk8er101xx if the format program was unable to complete its task then Checkdisk will be unable to do anything with it.

Ace700 it can’t be a faulty motherboard as adamcan said that he has tried formatting the disk in other systems, nor can it be a faulty CD as the program has started the format and the CD is not in the picture.

A couple of other things to try before condemning the disk, have you repartitioned the drive? A corrupted partition table could be the problem, and check that the Master/Slave jumpers on the drive are in their correct positions.
If you still can’t get it to work throw it away as the drive is only 40 Gig and you can get a replacement for very little money.