Best CPU for gaming on new rig (performance and value)

I am building a new computer and am curious which is the best CPU for gaming. I want performance but not necessarily the best of the best if it's super expensive.

I also heard something about multi-CPU's or something. What's that all about?
8 answers Last reply
More about best gaming performance value
  1. Budget gaming with good performance AMD Phenom X4 955BE or 965BE. For a little more Intel I5 750 or 760 and you will have to pay a little more as well for the motherboard.
  2. Multi-core? Thats just a CPU having multiple cores.

The "best value" gaming CPUs are Athlon X3 440 for $75 and i5 760 for $200.
    However gaming is more dependent on the GPU, and there are choices that might be adequate according to your budget.
  3. from what I read in the sticky guide, the I5 is still a duel core (except the 7xx series). Is the 7xx I5 series worth it for staying relavent in gaming for more 3+ years?

I heard the Phenom's run hot as well.

I am hoping to get an Intel GT 480 when they drop in price a bit also, so the CPU(s) should be compatible.
  4. New Phenoms don't run hot, the ones did were the original phenoms of 2008, Phenom II is pretty cool.

Intel GT 480? You mean Nvidia GTX480?
  5. Timop said:
    New Phenoms don't run hot, the ones did were the original phenoms of 2008, Phenom II is pretty cool.

Intel GT 480? You mean Nvidia GTX480?

I see,

I do mean the GTX 480,

and I saw in the motherboard forum something about a motherboard that supports two processors at the same time.

I believe the site for the duel processor motherboard is here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=270-WS-W555-A1&family=Motherboard%20Family&series=Intel%205520%20Series%20Family&sw=5

Also, I really want longevity so I get at least 3 years or more doing the latest games that come out with 3D and what not.
  6. ggsxt said:
    I see,

I do mean the GTX 480,

and I saw in the motherboard forum something about a motherboard that supports two processors at the same time.

I believe the site for the duel processor motherboard is here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=270-WS-W555-A1&family=Motherboard%20Family&series=Intel%205520%20Series%20Family&sw=5

Also, I really want longevity so I get at least 3 years or more doing the latest games that come out with 3D and what not.

You mean dual-socket on the SR2? For desktop usage its really a niche for bragging rights, as no games will use all 8/12 cores. In fact you can barely use 6cores.

An i5 is going to last you 3 years fine, especially with an OC. Uou can upgrade then. "Futureproofing" now on a long term isnt worth it, as tech gets cheaper and cheaper every year. Spending $1500 on a SR2 setup now probably will end up like skulltrail, being beat by a $300 Haswell 3 years later.
  7. i think it would be best if u just give us the budget and inform us what components you want to upgrade (if u need optical drive, chasing, PSU, keyboard, etc)

also mention what the native resolution of your monitor that u have/want to get
  8. sarwar_r87 said:
    i think it would be best if u just give us the budget and inform us what components you want to upgrade (if u need optical drive, chasing, PSU, keyboard, etc)

also mention what the native resolution of your monitor that u have/want to get

my budge right now is $1000

but I can increase it each month so buying a few good items and a few "filler" items just until I replace those is what I am thinking.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Performance Gaming