Sign in with
Your question

DGL-4500

Last response: in Networking
March 16, 2010 12:22:55 AM

i know nothing about routers but my dgl 4500 seems slower then my last router which is a dir 615 i turned off the firewall and that made the ps3 stop lagging mostly but iam wondering if anyone else has had experience with this router or if there is anything i can do to speed it up like opening the ports and etc which i have no idea about

More about : dgl 4500

March 16, 2010 1:29:17 AM

Rather than turn OFF the firewall (not a good idea!), why not put the PS3's IP in the router's DMZ. That way anything that otherwise would be blocked or port forwarded elsewhere, will simply be redirected to the PS3. Of course, if you have port forwarding already enabled for the PS3 or have UPnP enabled on the router, you’d need to disable those first, or the DMZ will not work.

I’m only suggesting the DMZ in lieu of dropping your firewall completely. I’m not sure using the DMZ would help diminish lag, but it would certainly be better than exposing everything else to the Internet in order to find out!

Your router is never going to as efficient as a direct connection to the modem since all routers inspect, alter, and route packets. And the more concurrent clients, the more it can become bogged down. And gamers are particularly sensitive to even small increases in lag, whereas the average user merely browsing or using email would never notice.
m
l
March 16, 2010 4:50:39 AM

the wireless isnt for me ps3 uses wired everthing is lagging from web browsing to gaming

is there a way to get wireless without all that packet inspection and alter and crap would a ethernet hub be the same as a router or would it help with the hard line connections?
m
l
Related resources
March 16, 2010 9:36:57 AM

A router is what allows you to share the single public IP from your ISP (e.g., 209.64.23.2) w/ all the many devices behind the router. That public IP is mapped to many local IPs (e.g., 192.168.1.x) using a feature called NAT (Network Address Translation). So you can’t just remove the router and replace it w/ a switch (what you referred to as an ethernet hub).

Now it’s possible some more sophisticated routers might allow you do disable certain features, such as SPI (stateful packet inspection). But at a minimum, every packet has to be altered to support NAT.

And all the above affects wired or wireless clients equally. Wireless only exacerbates the problem of lag because it’s inherently more susceptible to it.

The only way to avoid this router overhead is if your ISP supports multiple public IPs. Then you could use a simple switch connected to your modem. Of course, very few ISPs support multiple public IPs for home use. And those that do will make you pay dearly for it ($$$).
m
l
March 16, 2010 7:53:36 PM

well we already have a switch hooked up and our router is hooked up to our switch but only the ps3 and one computer are on the switch while 3 ipod touches and three laptops are on wireless and three computers are on the wired from the router

edit o wait the modem is hooked up to the router though
m
l
!