Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P8P67 (vanilla) should I upgrade the BIOS?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 8, 2011 9:36:21 PM

Hi.

My computer is running fine (just built it last night) with Windows 7 64-bit. I have the ASUS P8P67 and have installed all the drivers that come on the ASUS cd/dvd (for the intel chipset, usb, etc). 2 questions.

1. Should I upgrade the BIOS? Everything seems to run fine for now.

2. Should I upgrade all the drivers for the mobo? I've installed the ones from the ASUS cd. Maybe they have later ones at their website?

a c 235 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 8, 2011 10:43:43 PM

1) On BIOS, I take the approach, If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. A bad BIOS flash can brick your system resulting in a early RMA to get fixed. BIOS should only be updated to 1) fix a known issue, 2) Add support for a new CPU or 3) Added support for a new component (example 3TB drives)... IMO.

2) Yes... I recommend updating all your drivers for your motherboard & video card to the latest versions.
m
l
April 9, 2011 2:11:21 AM

tecmo34 said:
1) On BIOS, I take the approach, If it ain't broke, Don't fix it. A bad BIOS flash can brick your system resulting in a early RMA to get fixed. BIOS should only be updated to 1) fix a known issue, 2) Add support for a new CPU or 3) Added support for a new component (example 3TB drives)... IMO.

2) Yes... I recommend updating all your drivers for your motherboard & video card to the latest versions.

Thank you!

Do you know how I would find out my current driver versions ... a central place in Win 7??

m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2011 2:20:03 AM

Actually, just checked in the "Device manager" and got all the driver versions. I guess I'm up to date so far using the drivers that came on the ASUS cd!
m
l
a c 235 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 9, 2011 2:29:05 AM

Sounds good... with the new releases of B3 P67 boards, I wouldn't expect to many new drivers.
m
l
a c 107 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 9, 2011 4:42:13 AM

If you have the B3 version of the board, you likely have the newest BIOS. My ASRock B3 board came with it anyway. If you don't, then I highly recommend updating it -- Sandy Bridge boards are still new, and every BIOS revision generally gives better stability and performance. In another month or two you can stop updating, as they will likely have worked out most of the kinks of the new boards.

Unless that CD was made within the last month, you aren't up to date driver-wise. Most of the drivers I checked last night were updated around the middle of March. I'm going to be doing a Windows re-install, so I was downloading the newest drivers from everyone's web site.

Intel chipset driver -- 3-3-2011
Intel Management Engine driver -- 3-21-2011
Intel Rapid Storage driver -- probably up to date, as that one's from December 2010
Realtek LAN driver -- 3-21-2011
Realtek sound driver -- 4-8-2011 (yes, today!)
Etron USB3 driver -- ASRock site has newer version than Etron site does, don't know why
m
l
!