SATA 3 working at SATA 2 speed

xBzzit

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Hi there,

I have a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD connected to my 2 SATA 3 (6Gb/s) ports on my MSI X79 GD-45 8D with the SATA cables that came with the mobo and that suposedly are SATA 6G Ready (?). The problem is that the write speed on my HDD is around 30 MBs and my SSD write speed is about 45/47 MB/s which is quite disappointing.

So far I've tried to change the cables and set AHCI mode on the BIOS but still the same, any solutions?

Thank you.

Just because its on a SATAIII connection doesnt mean that it will be able to use it. HDD's cant even saturate SATAII, SATAIII on HDD's is largely pointless.

Though a modern SSD should be able to saturate SATAII. Check online to see other peoples results and see if they line up with yours. If its lower than it should, check for any firmware. If still not, you may have a dud drive, get a refund/replacement.

Also, SATAII or III refers to bandwidth, not speed.

xBzzit

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Just tried diferent benchmark softwares and they are giving me higher values so I guess Im just dumb lol

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Give HD Tune a try to measure your SSD's read speed. It's free and easy to use. I have used HD Tune-Pro for a long time (purchase app) and find it very helpful to record benchmarks of my drives and periodically look at the HDD and SSD speeds.

Here is a screenshot of my Vertex3 120GB drive, showing an average read speed of about 450 MB/s. with Max rates of 480 MB/s. This is even using a 12" Sata II cable.

Vertex3HDTune-PRO9-5-12-1.png

MY backup Caviar Black Sata III drive delivers read speeds of about 125 MB/s, so you should see speeds in the same general ball park.

erpsaa

Honorable
May 17, 2012

xBzzit, when I looked up your mainboard, it has the X79 Chipset. BTW, your ATTO numbers are not right. The Kingston is a very nice Tier 2 drive and even with a mainboard port should give you 500/450.

You and I share a mutual problem (however, I knew what I was getting). I have the ASUS PRO9X79 LGA2011 as one of my Workstations and with regards to mainboard storage ports, I have 8, whereas I believe you have 6. That means you have only the x79 Chipset. On my model (not that it matters for me, I use mainboard storage ports, but only for Opticals) ASUS dropped two added SATA3's ports controlled by Marvel. You "think" you're getting 4 x SATA3 and 4 x SATA2, but you're not. The Marvel is restricted to do something I consider stupid (SSD Caching, AKA, RAID-0 with no way to back it up). Since I am assuming you used the Kingston tools (I use all OCZ myself) to set SATA speeds, update firmware, etc. here is how to fix your problem (be certain your firmware is 5.0.3 for Trim).

Try this:

1. (Make sure the Spinner is removed, i.e., the Baracuda is removed BEFORE you do this).
2. Do an erase and reformat of the Kingston (I assume your intended boot drive).
4. Make certain the SATA cables are actually SATA3, they are distinctive and have two channels. On the cable they will read exactly 6G and 6Gb/s and on either tip 6Gb/s. The certain way is the numbers on every cable, red, blue, black, no matter, E209329 = SATA2. E321011 is the real deal, SATA3. (If you have the correct cables, you're good, if not and you have a PO box, email me, I have a drawfull and would be happy to mail you a few). I need draw space. ;) anyway. Or pick a couple up.
5. Once all the above is confirmed and done, plug ONLY the SSD into the x79 0 or 1 SATA3 Mainboard storage port.
6. Reboot, hit DEL or whatever gets you into your UEFI and change from AHCI or IDE to RAID. (Do NOT be concerned you're not running RAID, you're after speed and a SCSI Boot Drive, not an IDE which I am guessing is what you'd see now. (explains the crappy speed). Please don't ask why this happens, it just does, Intel needs to fix it.
7. Install the OS (be sure to have the Motherboard Disk) since Windows will not see your SSD until you install the driver. I'm making the assumption you know how to preinstall drivers, if not just ask me or anyone and they'll tell how. Find the drivers on the Disk that will say something like x64 x 32 etc, whatever you're running, and select the correct one. You should see something like a long name, which includes: AHCI/RAID and a number of other stuff unumportant. Install the drivers. Go back to the OS and your Kingston will be there. After the OS install:

You can then try ATTO, but I highly recommend what John_VanKirk suggested. The HD Tune does more than just give accurate speed, it shuts the paging file for example, it shuts defrag, little things the best of us always forget.

Let us know if this works and if you speed up and depending on the result, either I or someone here who knows far more than I will know what has happened and tell you what to do with your file drive.

Good luck and don't waste that Kingston. Nice SSD.

Dean

xBzzit

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Just a few questions to clear some stuff, im spanish so I dont want to misunderstand anything.

First of all, yes, I do have 6 Sata ports 2 SATA 3 and 4 SATA 2 and all my cables are SATA 3 on the connectors it says SATA 6Gbs and on the cable itself it says 6G.

What I dont have clear is what kingston tools you're talking about and if I need to format my ssd.

Thank you.

erpsaa

Honorable
May 17, 2012

Don't stress that, sorry. Just be sure the firmware is updated.

xBzzit

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012

So the firmware that has to be updated is the SSD one? Im really getting lost here so I apologize. I know that I have to update the firmware, disconect the HDD and only leave the SSD on and then on the BIOS change AHCI to RAID. After that I need to get my mobo drivers dvd and install the Sata controller driver??