DoDraugen

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Hello,
I'm currently setting up a new raid 0 to my existing system
I currently got 1 HDD i used for the OS, and 3 new HDD i just installed raid 0 on, but i get bluescreen when i try to boot
I currently got software raid, but this is kinda slow

So the question is, is it possible to add a new raid from the motherboard without reinstall the system?

DoDraugen

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
New message to Explain it better

I have One HDD with OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) installed on, and have had it for a couple of months

I just got 3 new HDD i gonna set up a new raid 0 on
But after i have configurated the BIOS to use Raid, and have set up the 3 HDD to use raid 0, the system get bluescreen when i try to boot again

When i Disable the raid 0, and set the BIOS to use IDE instead of raid, i can boot again.
I have tested Software raid, and found it slow.
Is there any way to make a new raid with the Motherboard without reinstalling the system.

Currently got this motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3973#ov

4745454b

Titan
The problem is your driver. When you change the ports to RAID you change it for all of them. Windows is still trying to use the IDE driver that it was told to use. Boot into windows and update the driver for your old drive. (the one windows is on.) When it says reboot go ahead. When it does, go into the bios and change it to RAID and it should be done.

I don't like AID0, I don't suggest you use it.

^ Raid0 will work on 3 drives, Unless the Bios limits the drive numbers. Performance does not scale, and probability of lossing all data increases.

On the problem: The reason for the Blue screen is do to changing the Bios HDD control from IDE (Really should have used ahci if possible). This results in incorrect drivers loaded and windows can no longler "talk" to the HDD. This is similar to:
if windows was installed using IDE and you try to switch to ahci; SEE:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
A simular problem exist when changing Bios from IDE -> Raid.

Three Options:
1) If you have a port that is NOT set to raid when Bios is switched, you can try Move the HDD (OS drive) to that port.
2) Try the method outlined in the above link, But would need to google switching IDE -> raid.
3) reinstall the OS with the Bios set to raid - Leave the 3 drives disconnected untill after windows is install. Connect the three drives and using the Bios create your three drive array.

Added:
4745454b Just changing the drivers proably will not work, requires some registry edits.

On raid 0:
What is the main reason for switching to raid0.
Raid0 only really improves Sequencial Performance, NOT access time, nor the random 4 K performance. Raid0 will speed up LARGE file read/writes which are important in encoding Large video files, working with Large complex spreadshees, large cad/cam drawings, and if often editing large bitmap/jpeg Photos.

DoDraugen

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Thanks for the Replyes

I gonna look into it, and see if i gonna try it when i get back home
The reason i want to set up raid, is to get faster load time in some programs and games, so i have no plans on having any important files there :)

Raid0 will not significantly improve load time on files that are under 64K (typical strip size). For programs that load multiple files, Not only do the files need to be greater than 64 K, but Must be sequencially located on the HDD.

Your best bet is to go with an SSD. Install windows and most often used programs + games. SSDs will blow a raid0 setup out of the water when it comes to Random 4 K read/writes(20->40 times faster). SSD access time is typically 100 X faster than a HDD. SSD = 0.1 mSec, HDDs around 12 mSec and raid0 does NOT improve this.

Prior to SSDs ALL of my systems used Raid0. On later builds I also short stroked the Raid0 which does provide a small boost to access time and 4k random file performance.