Sign in with
Your question

Anyone using Intel HD Graphics for i3,i5? Input please!

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2010 12:04:57 PM

Hi, for people using Intel's built in graphics on the i3 i5 chips i need your help

Have you had any trouble playing 1080p files or internet streaming in HD?
Have any intense scenes missed frames using the integrated graphics or just any problems you have encountered?

Really trying to confirm from peoples experiences that Intel's HD graphics can handle anything ( in terms of HTPC) thrown at it.

I am not interested in gaming aspects as i will not be gaming on this pc

More about : intel graphics input

a c 124 à CPUs
a b å Intel
September 6, 2010 12:55:40 AM

Everything I have read and seen on your question indicates that the Intel HD graphics for HTPC use are adequate for 1080p playback. That is not to say that they aren't overburdened and almost never measure up to even a fairly low-end discrete GPU. I would recommend you look at something like an ATI HD46XX or HD54XX or HD55XX or HD56XX GPU. Many are available with passive cooling and will be better for what you are asking for (and are still quite cheap).
a c 117 à CPUs
September 6, 2010 1:22:11 AM

I put a $40 low-profile Sapphire HD 4550 passively cooled card in my i3 530 it was a good cheap improvement.
Related resources
September 6, 2010 9:37:45 PM

davcon said:
I put a $40 low-profile Sapphire HD 4550 passively cooled card in my i3 530 it was a good cheap improvement.

What was your reason for this?

Did you have any problems (big or small) whilst playing any type of 1080p content with the integrated card? Were any frames ever missed whilst playing more intense demanding scenes?

This is my main worry with fast moving scenes
a c 117 à CPUs
September 6, 2010 10:10:36 PM

My reason isn't really related to your question sorry!
I had just built a i7 rig and the 5850 was just unavailable at the time.
The 4550 was a cheap substitute until the 5850 was found.
I subsequently built an i3 530 system and the extra card found a new home.
I'll guess your problem might be related to memory issues possibly since the onboard graphics/cpu is using system memory.
I would hope you have 4gb of ram 2gb simply won't cut it.
September 6, 2010 10:59:11 PM

davcon said:
My reason isn't really related to your question sorry!
I had just built a i7 rig and the 5850 was just unavailable at the time.
The 4550 was a cheap substitute until the 5850 was found.
I subsequently built an i3 530 system and the extra card found a new home.
I'll guess your problem might be related to memory issues possibly since the onboard graphics/cpu is using system memory.
I would hope you have 4gb of ram 2gb simply won't cut it.

An i7 and i3, nice.
I'm currenty not using any will be using 4gb. this machine has not been ordered yet, if intels integrated card won't flawlessly play 1080p i will change from a H55 to a P55 board and an i5 750 with a £30-40 dedicated card. Adding £50 to my budget. I'm reluctant because the i5 661 has enough processor for my needs.

Did you play a variety of HD (mkvs i will be mainly playing anything from 7-15gb) and come across any problems with the card?
a c 117 à CPUs
September 6, 2010 11:19:38 PM

LP2010 said:
An i7 and i3, nice.
I'm currenty not using any will be using 4gb. this machine has not been ordered yet, if intels integrated card won't flawlessly play 1080p i will change from a H55 to a P55 board and an i5 750 with a £30-40 dedicated card. Adding £50 to my budget. I'm reluctant because the i5 661 has enough processor for my needs.

Did you play a variety of HD (mkvs i will be mainly playing anything from 7-15gb) and come across any problems with the card?

I paired my i3 with a Gigabyte GA-H55M-UD2H which is a very good board for the price($75 was hard to pass) as is the GA-H55-UD3H.
Btw the H55 Gigabyte boards are much better then anything Asus offers google half a dozen H55 mobo round-up reviews and see for yourself.
I still can't comment cuz i added the 4550 right away it plays mkv great though.
The only advantage you'll get with a P55 is better memory bandwith.
Have two buddies that just built HTCP's both used i3 530's and this board GA-H55N-USB3 http://www.giga-byte.ca/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
and Lian-li http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_i...
!