Windows rating after installing more ram

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I build a computer a year ago.
The ram i used was:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8TU-6GBPI

I just bought another G.SKILL 6GB (3X2GB) Triple Channel. Same exact ram.
So now I have 12 gigs instead of 6 gigs.

Everything went fine on the install. I can see all 12 gigs on system.

When I re-ran the windows rating before I installed the ram which was a couple days ago my ram rating was 7.5.
After installing double the RAM just now and rerunning the windows rating I still get 7.5.
I thought it would at least go to a 7.6.

Can someone tell me why my memory rating is remaining at 7.5 after installing double the ram.

Thanks in advance.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Windows I believe considers memory throughput, not the size (at least if you have a decent amount of RAM in the first place). I also doubled the RAM in my system from 4 to 8 Gigs, and the score remained the same. Actually, windows rating is a pretty lousy measure. When I replaced HD4850 that died with GTX460 768 MB I experienced a good improvement in fps in games, but my graphic score remained the same on both categories.

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Yeah 12 gigs is overkill.
I heard 8 gigs is good for i7 cpu with 64 bit OS. It was cheap, a tiny bit less than 1/2 of what I bought the other 6 a year ago so I got it.
But yeah you are right for what I use it for it will be a waste.
Maybe in 2 or 3 years when I pass this computer on to one of my family members and build another one the 12 gigs won't be ridiculous :)

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

Not necessarily. I am getting 7.3 memory score on four 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 at 1333 with 7-7-7-20-2T timings.

Yeah it is necessary for the OP! If the OP is running default the {expensive} 1600 MHz rated RAM is running at 1066 MHz or about a 2~6% loss.

I'm getting 7.8 on my basic i7 rigs with Dominator 1600 9-9-9-24, and 7.9 on my Dominator 1600 8-8-8-24 and 'IF' the scale went higher on Dominator GT's @ 2000 MHz that are also pegging the 7.9. The OP's G.SKILL PI Series should be set properly.

Basic i7 Pseudo Workstations:
WEI_HJ_i7930_IDE.gif

Here's are generic settings for most X58 MOBOs:

3 Sticks:
Use X.M.P. setting

6 Sticks / Manual:
DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 MHz or DRAM Multiplier -> 12
DRAM Voltage -> 1.65v {closet value ±}
CAS Timings: 8-8-8-21 {CL-tRCD-tRP-CMD}
Command Rate -> 2T {2N same thing}

Using XMP on multiple sets 'can' be problematic, you can try it and if if BSOD or Post Failure then set manually. This is a 2 minute process for a good gain in performance. ;)

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Hi jaquith

I have the same CPU as you with stock fan/heatsink.
My mobo is: ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.

You are right that I am running them slower than the 1600. When I first built my computer I was going to change the speed in bios but some people recommended oc the cpu with the ram or oc just the ram and change voltage and timing.
I wasn't comfortable changing all these settings since i never overclocked before, so I decided to leave it.
I was though, going to just change the speed of the ram in bios ONLY, but someone suggested to not do that unless I change the timing and voltage as well.

My current WEI:
CPU - 7.5
Memory - 7.5
Graphics - 7.4
Gaming graphics 7.4
Hard disk 5.9 - that will change once my OCZ SSD Vertex 3 arrives next week.

One better, the WEI above also is on an ASUS P6X58D-E. I knew I liked you!

Yeah, that SSD will get you into the 7's.

As I mentioned one set it is dirt simple AI OC Turner -> XMP -- bam done. However, 2 sets not a guarantee. If I had a $1 for every post failure I'd have a free extreme rig. You absolutely do NOT need to OC the i7 930 CPU to obtain 1600 MHz, and in most cases the BCLK 50/50 needs to be increased to 160 MHz IF running 2000 MHz DDR3.

I have 10 P6X58D-E so anything you need just post it here.

That said to the following, it's easy:

[1] Easy - but might Post fail or BSOD {3 sticks no problem, 6 ehh it can be an issue}:
Ai Overclock Tuner [X.M.P.]

yeah it's that easy...

[2] Manual Speed with Auto Timings:
Ai Overclock Tuner [Auto]
DRAM Frequency -> [DDR3-1600 MHz]

[3] Full Manual:
Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
DRAM Frequency -> [DDR3-1600 MHz]
DRAM Timing Control /Enter

DRAM CAS# Latency [8]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay [8]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [8]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [21]
-
DRAM Timing Mode [2N]
---
DRAM Bus Voltage [1.65v] ± use closest value available

** On 6 DIMM filled and Rated Speed, sometimes you need to also adjust the IMC voltage. Do this only if needed.
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.25~1.35v] **

Once you're done it's always a good idea to verify the integrity of the RAM. Use Memtest86+, create a bootable CD/DVD and run at least 2 passes - in a production I recommend 4 passes. 4 Passes on 12GB is an over night affair. Download the ISO/zip file V4.20 is the latest - http://www.memtest.org/ {Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip)}

Good Luck! :)

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I did exactly what you said in the #3 full manual and my windows failed to start. It asked to repair or start windows normally. I was afraid to start windows normally with all the changes so
I went back in the bios changed everything back the way it was on auto and just did the #2 manual speed with auto timings, it asked to repair again. I just started windows normally by passing repair and re-ran assessment. I got it to 7.8 on the ram...woo hoo :)
I rebooted and did not get the repair error so I guess i would of been fine doing #3. I just got a little nervous.
So I got some questions.
Should I leave it as is or go back and do #3 full manual at start up bypass windows repair and start windows normally?
Also will I have to worry about running the ram too hot doing #2, #3?
Please advice, thanks.

These were the specs on the link I provided above so if it's incorrect let me know: 1600 8-8-8-21 @ 1.65v Most 1600 runs a Command Rate 2T.

If you get a boot failure and don't choose an 'option' a Ctrl + Alt + Del won't remove the 'flag' Windows had from the prior failure -- in other words good settings or not it's a loop.

So to answer your questions, I will elect to start normally. However, once done 'anal' me will run System File Checker and Detect and Repair Bad Sectors.

Next, if 'Auto' is picking-up and reading the RAM's SPD {JEDEC} info then there's little need to manually set the CAS Timings. Simply look in the BIOS and the numbers should read correctly. If you are going to OC the CPU via a BCLK OC then it's a good idea to manually set the DRAM Voltage or 'do' #3.

Hot temps are not an issue with 1600 MHZ @ 1.65v RAM, and only if you were running 6x4GB doing a lot of intensive Gaming or Rendering OR OC your RAM at 1800 MHz+ {exceeding Rated}; then a RAM Fan might be needed. Those G.SKILL PI's have excellent passive cooling.

So for now:
1. Play with the BIOS and RAM settings; optional.
2. Run Memtest86+ 4-Passes
3. Run the SFC & Sector as follows, and upon finishing reboot. BTW - this is a good routine to run twice a year.
Scan-Drives-Windows-7.jpg

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I checked bios "1st Information" reads 9-9-9-24. CPU-Z reads the same.
I couldn't find a way to read the bus voltage. It just says auto and I do not see the temp on the right. In CPU-Z it reads 1.5s and 1.6 in the XMP-1600 column.
Should i leave it or manually change it to 8-8-8-21.?

Btw - The voltage goes from 1.64 to 1.66. I can't use 1.65 and 1.66 gives a warning of damaging the CPU if choosing 1.66 and higher.

I will run Memtest86+ and Run disk check after i get everything squared away, thx.

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
Update:

I went in and changed manually

DRAM CAS# Latency [8]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay [8]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time [8]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time [21]

DRAM Bus Voltage 1.64v

When it booted into windows everything was fine, no errors.
I already created a bootable disk for Memtest86+
I will run it and hope for the best.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to educate me.

Have a good night.

Yep, use the 'XMP-1600' column in CPU-Z, the CAS Timings I found were from Newegg; oddly entering the P/N at G.SKILL rendered no results?

Since you have 6 Sticks installed use the 1.65v, the rating is 1.6-1.65v. RAM has a tolerance to ±0.20v~±0.30v. I OC my 1.65v DDR3 2000 at 1.8v and it would take 2.0v to begin to damage the RAM.

Hopefully yo found no errors on Memtest...

mrfaces

Distinguished
May 6, 2010
I cannot change the voltage to 1.65. It goes from 1.64 to 1.66. I tried to manually type 1.65 and it turned the number to 1.66 when I hit "enter".
The warning I get for 1.66 is
"According to Intel CPU Spec, Dimms over 1.65v may damage CPU permanently."
So I left it at 1.64 since it won't let me use 1.65.

I ran Memtest last night. Only did 2 passes. I'm hearing that 2 passes should be good enough. Took an hour and a half. No errors which is good.

And it says the same thing about OC the CPU. The DRAM Voltage goes to the DIMM/RAM, the QPI/DRAM {IMC} Voltage goes to the CPU. Nothing I posted here will do any damage period. edit: either is fine -> 1.64 to 1.66; 1/100th of a volt is nothing.

From above, I posted:
* DRAM Bus Voltage [1.65v] ± use closest value available
* RAM has a tolerance to ±0.20v~±0.30v
* run at least 2 passes - in a production {business} I recommend 4 passes. 4 Passes on 12GB is an over night affair.