How long do you think it will be till SSD replace HDD?

spat55

Distinguished
I was just thinking, I made a new build around 3 months ago with a 1TB WD Black Caviar. I know that I could get a SSD if i wanted to but I was just thinking, will the HDD be replaced or very nearly replaced in the next 3 years? If not how long do you think, I mean when they are affordable to be the average mans storage device.

Solution

I have something to add / correct on your phrase. Although SSDs are favored for OS/Boot devices the new trend of hybrid hard disks is appearing. I believe,
at some point, SSDs will evolve and become fast Hybrid hard disks.
I don't think that SSDs will become 1-2Tb soon, however Hybrid hard disks will. I think that after 5-6 years (maybe more due to economy crisis), hard disks will evolve to hybrid disks all the way while SSDs will remain as they are and possibly disappear.
Unless something else appear...

spat55

Distinguished

Nice! Do you reckon the SSD is more reliable? It does have less moving parts, in fact it has none.

MotherFerJones

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
SSD's are affordable now, real time sale newegg 120GB OCZ Agility 3 for 59.99 (.50 a GB). However SSDs will probably never replace HDD's because of the limited storage space when compared to an HDD. I think the new standard for custom builds will be a SSD boot drive and HDD storage drive.

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

When SSD gets to $.5/GB and 1TB range I think most people would just go with a SSD only build. SSD is definitely more reliable when you are buying from reliable brands like Samsung and Intel.

Personally I am currently running a SSD only Gamer build, my entire Steam folder and OS fits slightly more than half of my 256 GB Samsung 830($229 so about $.89/GB and was on sale for 198.99 for a while before I bought it) and all my video files and backups are on my 2TB WD External HDD connected via usb2.0(fast enough for playing videos). I ditched HDD on the original build so I can budget the 120hz monitor and SLI more easily, a 3TB HDD/External might be a future upgrade but it is definitely not a must have for me.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

I have something to add / correct on your phrase. Although SSDs are favored for OS/Boot devices the new trend of hybrid hard disks is appearing. I believe,
at some point, SSDs will evolve and become fast Hybrid hard disks.
I don't think that SSDs will become 1-2Tb soon, however Hybrid hard disks will. I think that after 5-6 years (maybe more due to economy crisis), hard disks will evolve to hybrid disks all the way while SSDs will remain as they are and possibly disappear.
Unless something else appear...

Solution

spat55

Distinguished

Reading that link very interesting :)

spat55

Distinguished
This is very interesting, I was thinking that HDD have been around for years and it is time to change like we have from standard def to high def :)

BTW, how do hybrids work? are they a HDD+SDD all in one?

spat55

Distinguished

Yeah think you might be right. He is also low on points so thought it would be the best way to try and rank him up :)

sherlockwing

Honorable
Aug 7, 2012

Except Samsung just sold their HDD division to a rival while keep producing their own SSDs, the HDD market have downgraded itself to a Segate-WD duopoly and the price have stayed above pre-flood levels while SSD price in term of price/GB have been in a non-stopping decline.

Unless Hybrid Drive can get to 80% of current gen SSD speed, I don't see me using them for my OS and Games, I prefer to spend 1-2 extra day per year doing something other than watching the system/game load.

If this is what you want, go with the Hybrid Drive in the future(Momentus XT).
hdtune-read.gif

hdtune-write.gif

value-capacity.gif

TRENDING THREADS