Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about ATi HD 5770 temperatures

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2010 10:54:05 AM

I have a Gigabyte GV-R577UD-1GD Radeon HD 5770 1GB in my Micro ATX case.
my GPU right now is 50 C. When I game it goes from ~80 C-~92 C and sometimes even up to 97 C-98 C.

What are the normal temperature rages? Is this 'dangerous' or 'bad'. If this is not good is there any way to fix or help this problem?

Thank you for your help.

PS: I have CCC 10.5 now. I had more or less the same temp ranges with CCC 10.4.

Best solution

a c 189 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 11:14:21 AM

92'C~98'C are considerably high temps, personally i don't like those temps even your card can stand above 100'C...

The problem is your case is Micro ATX, you probably don't have enough airflow inside your case...
a c 169 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 11:18:31 AM

+1^
Your temps are high,and since your case is a mATX one,i suspect its air flow isn't very well
Score
Related resources
May 30, 2010 11:19:23 AM

wa1 said:
92'C~98'C are considerably high temps, personally i don't like those temps even your card can stand above 100'C...

The problem is your case is Micro ATX, you probably don't have enough airflow inside your case...

Is there anything else I can do besides getting a new case? like add another fan somewhere?
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 11:27:13 AM

err, so where did you put that fan? Does mATX case allowing you to add more fan?
Score
May 30, 2010 11:34:47 AM

wa1 said:
err, so where did you put that fan? Does mATX case allowing you to add more fan?

oh, so you can't? :( 

I'll send a pic of the case in a sec.
Score
May 30, 2010 12:27:54 PM

2149290,5,401213 said:
err, so where did you put that fan? Does mATX case allowing you to add more fan?[/quotemsg

I am going to test my temps again with the 2 drivers, 10.4 and 10.5 and let you know what the averages are just to see if that may be a factor.

Here are some pics of my case:

Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 12:49:38 PM

I have no idea where to put another fan to cooling down your gpu...

try to do some heavy gaming with the side case open, report again what temps did you got...
Score
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 1:06:45 PM

Wow that case has no intake fans?

Get the dremel out and cut some custom fan holes in the bottom of your case, you'd also have to raise the case up so the fans can effectively pull cold air into the case.

Alot of cable management wouldn't hurt....Or a better case.
Score
May 30, 2010 1:17:32 PM

wa1 said:

try to do some heavy gaming with the side case open, report again what temps did you got...

Just reverted to CCC 10.4 and did about 45 mins of gaming on bad company 2 on 1680 X 1050 Medium (with the cover on) and my temps were 77'C - 91'C. (it peaked at 92/93'c and then went back to 89/91'C)

I have to go now but later I will try some more with the side panel off and report back

Thank you for your help

Score
May 30, 2010 1:21:04 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Wow that case has no intake fans?

Get the dremel out and cut some custom fan holes in the bottom of your case, you'd also have to raise the case up so the fans can effectively pull cold air into the case.

Alot of cable management wouldn't hurt....Or a better case.

well now I am weighing the case option... but I'd prefer not to buy a new case but if i have to I'd prefer something not too expensive :) 

can a microATX MoBo fit into a regular ATX case? You would recommend an ATX and not some other micro atx case with more fans or something?
Score
May 30, 2010 1:34:14 PM

The temperatures of your graphic card faune when you play game for a while or a hour...?????
Score
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 1:40:59 PM

faune said:
well now I am weighing the case option... but I'd prefer not to buy a new case but if i have to I'd prefer something not too expensive :) 

can a microATX MoBo fit into a regular ATX case? You would recommend an ATX and not some other micro atx case with more fans or something?

This Antec 300 would be a good option, its cheap and offers far superior cooling compared to your current case, and yes you can fit a M-ATX motherboard in this case. I would recommend you buy some more fans aswell.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...
Score
May 30, 2010 2:01:19 PM

dinkle85 said:
The temperatures of your graphic card faune when you play game for a while or a hour...?????

Well the temps I originally posted were the temps when I played on my highest res, 1680 X 1050 and high settings with the new CCC 10.5 drivers for a WHILE.

after reverting to CCC 10.4 and about 45 mins to an hour of gaming on bad company 2 on 1680 X 1050 and Medium settings (with the cover on) and my temps were 77'C - 91'C. (it peaked at 92/93'c and then went back to 89/91'C)

Score
May 30, 2010 2:04:17 PM

Just open all your cover and add more fan on your computer...

Cause i have same card as you but i open all cover when play game or not cause i want to make sure that my computer not hot.... :-)
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 2:41:51 PM

There is no room under your video card. This is where the slot cooler pushing air out the back might help. At least air would not be static right under the video card.
Other option, not sure which would be better, any mid tower case. You can search newegg mid tower, list by lowest price, choose one with free shipping. You can get one for 30.00 dollars. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Score
May 30, 2010 4:21:22 PM

Rustyy117 said:
This Antec 300 would be a good option, its cheap and offers far superior cooling compared to your current case, and yes you can fit a M-ATX motherboard in this case. I would recommend you buy some more fans aswell.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...

Also to" notty22" amd any one else who can help.

Ok so I am looking at the case options and I just wanted to state that I live in a relatively hot climate with a lot of dust. I am not in the US so I can't order from New Egg :( 

I want to make sure that the case option will remedy this problem because it would be a pity to go to the trouble of buying a new case...

I have a Gigabyte G31M-ES2L (rev 2.0) Micro ATX Mobo + Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 5770

here are some cases that are available to me and their prices in $ USD I am looking to go for the best reasonable solution:

Antec

*Antec Two Hundred: ~$62.50 (comes with two fans)

*Antec Three Hundred: ~ $78.17

CoolMaster

*Cool Master Elite 341 Black Micro ATX Case : ~$44.30

*Edit*

*COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 Mid Tower: ~$45.38

(don't know whats the difference between them and they are the same price)

*COOLER MASTER ELITE 334 Mid Tower: ~$45.38

ThermalTake

*ThermalTake SopranoRS VG7000BWS: ~$67.75

*Thermaltake V3 VL80001W2Z: ~$58.63

*ThermalTake M5: ~$72.70

Ikonik

*Ikonik EN2-TAC ATX Mid Tower: ~$45.60

*Ikonik EN1: ~44.30

*Ikonic Taran A10: ~$ 58.63

Areocool

*AeroCool AeroEngine Plus: ~$75.57 (Comes with two Fans)

Xclio

XClio Propeller: ~$71.66

There are also a bunch more from Compucase and HEC

Thank you for your help.
Score
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 4:28:31 PM

I'd suggest either the coolermaster elite 341 or either of the antec's, like i said before get some more fans aswell :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 4:33:55 PM

I think you want to avoid the micro-atx cases, thats what you have. Any case that will accept the atx(they also fit,m-atx) board will have a couple extra inches, for the extra expansion slots. Giving your more room UNDER your video card.
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 5:27:41 PM

yup, i think any ATX case will provide big enough room under your video card...
Make sure you add fans as long as the case allowed you... :) 
Score
May 30, 2010 8:27:36 PM

You guys really think that more fans and a bigger case will solve this? What should the temperatures be in general?

Thank you all for your help.
Score
May 30, 2010 10:23:58 PM

wa1 said:

Ok. just tried Some 'Heavy' gaming with the side panel removed... Bad company 2 at 1650 X 1050 res and high settings for about 45 mins to an hour and the temps started out at around 66'C and went up to 76'C (with one spike to 77'C).
Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 1:30:26 AM

now your temps are more "friendly" when the side case is opened... :) 
It's the proof that you are lack of room under the video card.
The solution is get a new bigger case for your components and make sure that case has a good airflow...
Score
May 31, 2010 7:40:35 AM

notty22 said:
I think you want to avoid the micro-atx cases, thats what you have. Any case that will accept the atx(they also fit,m-atx) board will have a couple extra inches, for the extra expansion slots. Giving your more room UNDER your video card.

So I have narrowed it down I guess to three cases, all of which are mid towers (is a mid tower enough for my needs?)

The only differences which I noticed is that the the Cooler Masters have top mounted PSUs and the Antec has a bottom mounted PSU, the Antec has a top140mm & rear 120mm fan. While the Cooler Masters have rear 120mm and an optional front 120mm fans:

Antec

*Antec Two Hundred (Mid Tower) : ~$62.50 (comes with two fans)

Cooler Master

*COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 Mid Tower: ~$45.38

OR (don't know whats the difference between them and they are the same price)

*COOLER MASTER ELITE 334 Mid Tower: ~$45.38

Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 9:19:50 AM

It's okay if want to use mid tower, at least that's better than micro ATX case...
Hmm, if you want me to choose then i will grab that Antec Tower, but seriously, choose any option from your list, you will be fine...
Score
May 31, 2010 2:43:45 PM

wa1 said:
It's okay if want to use mid tower, at least that's better than micro ATX case...
Hmm, if you want me to choose then i will grab that Antec Tower, but seriously, choose any option from your list, you will be fine...

Is the amount of fans I can add to lets say... the Antec Two Hundred, dependent on the case? the MoBo? or the PSU or all of the above?

I see that according to the Antec website the case comes with two fans and has room for three more optional 120mm fans.

Quote:
Cooling system:
- 1 x top special 140mm TwoCool™ fan
- 1 x rear 120mm TwoCool™ fan
- 2 x front 120mm fans for HDDs (optional)
- 1 x side 120mm fan for graphics cards (optional)

My MoBo

Thanks.
Score
a c 126 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 2:50:24 PM

The PSU and the case, as you obviously need to mount the fans somewhere and because the PSU needs to provide power to the fans.
Score
May 31, 2010 3:00:01 PM

Rustyy117 said:
The PSU and the case, as you obviously need to mount the fans somewhere and because the PSU needs to provide power to the fans.

so I don't need to worry having connections for the fans on the mother board? :) 

Thanks.
Score
a c 173 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 3:00:05 PM

Basically your card's cooler is recirculating hot air resulting in the high temps that you are having. If you just want a simple solution just stick a fan near the card which will distort the hot air bubble that is under the card.

Red Neck FTW
Score
May 31, 2010 9:06:39 PM

Rustyy117 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Much better Fan, same noise, twice the air flow :)  and cheaper

I just want to get everything straight.

1. Both the Antec Two Hundred and Cooler Master 335, which are both Mid Tower ATXs, are Ok?

2. In terms of where the PSU sits, which is better, bottom or top mounted? does it matter?

3. Do I need more fans than the ones that come with the case? If so how many more fan's do I need?
(the Antec comes with two, 1 X top & 1 X rear and has three more optional ones, 2 X front and 1 X side mounted GPU. The Cooler Master come with 1 X rear and has the option for 1 X front fan.)

My two choices are from different stores:

*The Antec Two Hundred costs ~$62.50 + ~$39 to have it installed (and the cost of extra fans if needed)

*CoolerMaster 335 ~$45.38 + ~$64 ~$39 to have it installed (and the cost of extra fans if needed)

The fan you recommended are ~$15 a pop by me :(  and the ones I linked to in the previous comment is a 4 pack of 120 mm fans for ~$23 Thats why I want to know how many fans I need to add before I do any thing

Thanks.

Score
a c 126 U Graphics card
June 1, 2010 11:27:03 AM

Both the cases you said are mid towers and are fine for your PC

PSU orientation isn't too important, however if your PSU is at the top of the case it does give your graphics card more room to breathe

You really want to max out the case you get with fans, so any optional fan placements you want to fill.

Get the best fan you can afford. you want to be looking at the CFM and the DBA. the higher the CFM number the better as it tells you how much air it moves. and The DBA is basically the noise level, personally I like my fans to be less than 20DB, But its a personal thing.

$39 installation fee :/  DIY :) 
Score
June 1, 2010 10:08:21 PM

voila a hd 5750 with a twin turbo rad sorry for the mistakes I speak French
(Google translation)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

34 ° max battlefield bad company 2 solo 1680x1050 high dx11
Score
June 2, 2010 1:53:47 AM

Wow... Franklin 72 you have a good sink cooler for your graphic card card, even you O.C your graphic card temperature are below 30... Nice.. Very nice.

My HD 5770 if not play game around 40 to 49 and when gaming 52 to 60..
Score
June 2, 2010 12:20:24 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Both the cases you said are mid towers and are fine for your PC

PSU orientation isn't too important, however if your PSU is at the top of the case it does give your graphics card more room to breathe

You really want to max out the case you get with fans, so any optional fan placements you want to fill.

Get the best fan you can afford. you want to be looking at the CFM and the DBA. the higher the CFM number the better as it tells you how much air it moves. and The DBA is basically the noise level, personally I like my fans to be less than 20DB, But its a personal thing.

$39 installation fee :/  DIY :) 

Got the Cooler Master 335 Elite and added the one optional intake fan you suggested COOLER MASTER R4-L2R-20CK-GP 120mm BLUE LED Case Fan (just in blue its 90 CFM and 19 dB-A)

Justwanted to make sure that my front fan is installed correctly: the front fan should be sucking in air and blowing it towards the back of the case while the rear fan sucks the air in the case and pumps it out? Right?

Its 30'C outside today and I am "idling" at 38'C now (instead of 50'C-55'C) ;)  will try out gaming either today or tomorrow and will report back.

Here is a pic of the new inside:

Thank you all so much for your help :) 

Score
a c 189 U Graphics card
June 2, 2010 2:02:39 PM

Now you are looked so good with new case... :) 
And your temps are cool...
Score
June 2, 2010 2:34:59 PM

Best answer selected by faune.
Score
June 6, 2010 8:30:40 AM

wa1 said:
Now you are looked so good with new case... :) 
And your temps are cool...

Thank you wa1, omgitzfatal, and Notty22 once again :) 

My gaming temps are in the mid to high 50's and sometimes peak in to the low ~60's now as opposed to before when they were in the ~80's - ~90's. :bounce: 
Score
August 20, 2010 10:14:19 AM

Hey Guys,

I have just recently bought a 1GB Sapphire 5770 which ive installed in my Dell Vostro 430mt i7 box. This is a Mini Tower case which allows enough room to fit a decent size card in.

For the last couple of weeks ive been pulling my hair out trying to work out why it maxed out to 104-105 celsius when running a game and anything from 42 to 50 when idle.. It was either going to be a cooling issue or faulty card.
Furmark took it up to 107 then the whole PC shut down, crapped myself! thought id fried it. Luckily it powered back up again... phew!

Thanks to a few forum threads, including this one and some more google research I Purchased these two items from ebay.

Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Case Fan - 1850 RPM £15

Arctic Cooling MX-2 Thermal Compound - 4g £5

The Fan is 120mm, which does not quite slot into the old fan space due to it being bigger, however one of the screw holes aligns perfectly and its quite stable. It spins a whole lot faster than the stock one and you can feel the difference with your hand in the speed it pulls the air out of the case.

I also took the heatsink off of the card, which is suprisingly easy - just four screws and the whole thing comes off - applied a generous helping of the paste onto the die and screwed the sink back on. I noticed immediately that the layer of cooling paste that had been applied at the factory was a f-ing joke, it barely covered the die!

I wasnt really expecting much of a difference to be honest, I was hoping at the best for a 10c drop, so I was quite pleasantly suprised as the card now idles at 32-34 celcius and the hottest it gets with furmark is 62 :) 

Whats more, i can now crank up overdrive to its maximum - 960 GPU & 1335 Memory and it barely makes a difference in the temperature!

I don't know yet which of the two things ive done is giving the most benefit as I haven't bothered to investigate further now that its working so well. it could be that just the cooling paste alone would have been enough - but the new fan definitely expels the hot air from the case a whole lot faster, if i can be bothered I will put the old fan back on to see. Id expect it to be a combination of the two, but i probably could have just got away with the extra cooling paste.

Im quite happy with a 40 Celsius drop in temperature for just £20 :) 
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 20, 2010 10:34:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!