Random-strength encounters...

....Is there a mod, or a component of a mod, that will always make
these encounters be at their maximum vanilla-BG2 strength _and do
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE including no changes to the monsters'
*scripting* or *abilities*_ ?

For instance, there is an area in the De'Arnise keep where, if you are
low level, you fight normal trolls and ice trolls, if you are high
level you may end up against Spirit Trolls or Spectral Trolls. I want
to fight the latter every time as they give more experience and are a
more challenging fight. There are other places where you might fight
normal yuan-ti or greater ones.

Or in the Windspear Hills there is an area where you might get normal
wolves, normal wolfweres or Greater Wolfweres. I'd take on the
Wolfweres every time for preference.

Jonathan.
11 answers Last reply
More about random strength encounters
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:c58ld2$quq$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > ...Is there a mod, or a component of a mod, that will always make
    > these encounters be at their maximum vanilla-BG2 strength _and do
    > ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE including no changes to the monsters'
    > *scripting* or *abilities*_ ?

    [snip] And I mean WITHOUT changing the difficulty level. Like, the
    encounter on Core difficulty will remain on Core difficulty. So,
    instead of Core-difficulty half-a-dozen-wolves in the Windspear
    dungeon if you were low-level, it would be Core-difficulty
    three-or-four-greater-wolfweres, just as if you had gotten there at a
    higher character level with no other differences.

    Jonathan.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:c58ld2$quq$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >
    >>...Is there a mod, or a component of a mod, that will always make
    >>these encounters be at their maximum vanilla-BG2 strength _and do
    >>ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE including no changes to the monsters'
    >>*scripting* or *abilities*_ ?
    >

    > [snip] And I mean WITHOUT changing the difficulty level. Like, the
    > encounter on Core difficulty will remain on Core difficulty. So,
    > instead of Core-difficulty half-a-dozen-wolves in the Windspear
    > dungeon if you were low-level, it would be Core-difficulty
    > three-or-four-greater-wolfweres, just as if you had gotten there at a
    > higher character level with no other differences.

    I think you probably want Ishan's "Always Toughest Random Spawns in
    Dungeons" from the Tactics mod package.

    --
    "Star Trek is consistent in that it is consistently inconsistent."
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > ...Is there a mod, or a component of a mod, that will always make
    > these encounters be at their maximum vanilla-BG2 strength _and do
    > ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE including no changes to the monsters'
    > *scripting* or *abilities*_ ?
    >
    > For instance, there is an area in the De'Arnise keep where, if you are
    > low level, you fight normal trolls and ice trolls, if you are high
    > level you may end up against Spirit Trolls or Spectral Trolls. I want
    > to fight the latter every time as they give more experience and are a
    > more challenging fight. There are other places where you might fight
    > normal yuan-ti or greater ones.

    Yes, it's a component of Tactics, called Ishan's Always Toughest Random
    Spawns In Dungeons.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Graeme Dice" <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > "Jonathan Ellis" <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > > message news:c58ld2$quq$1@newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > >
    > >>...Is there a mod, or a component of a mod, that will always make
    > >>these encounters be at their maximum vanilla-BG2 strength _and do
    > >>ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE including no changes to the monsters'
    > >>*scripting* or *abilities*_ ?
    > >

    > > [snip] And I mean WITHOUT changing the difficulty level. Like, the
    > > encounter on Core difficulty will remain on Core difficulty. So,
    > > instead of Core-difficulty half-a-dozen-wolves in the Windspear
    > > dungeon if you were low-level, it would be Core-difficulty
    > > three-or-four-greater-wolfweres, just as if you had gotten there
    at a
    > > higher character level with no other differences.
    >
    > I think you probably want Ishan's "Always Toughest Random Spawns in
    > Dungeons" from the Tactics mod package.

    Yes, but that *also* includes other things like certain monsters being
    either "improved", or always using the scripted tactics and AI that
    they would use on Insane difficulty, even when on lesser difficulties.
    I do NOT WANT these changes - if I wanted them always on Insane, I
    would play on Insane difficulty. I do not do so - I play on Core.

    I think I've worked out which files are relevant though. Would I be
    right in guessing that it is simply the twelve SPWNFOO.BAF files
    (decompiled versions of .BCS files) that would deal with this, and
    that if I copied *them* (or compiled them into .bcs files and then
    copied them) into my override folder I would get the desired effect?

    (And, possibly, the AR****.BAF files, which appear to deal with which
    monsters turn up in Watcher's Keep depending on whether you visit it
    in SoA or ToB (I visit exclusively in ToB.) I might not need them if I
    don't enter the Keep in SoA - I only ever go there to buy their
    containers early on.)

    Would this work?

    Jonathan.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis wrote:

    > "Graeme Dice" <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    >

    >>I think you probably want Ishan's "Always Toughest Random Spawns in
    >>Dungeons" from the Tactics mod package.
    >

    > Yes, but that *also* includes other things like certain monsters being
    > either "improved", or always using the scripted tactics and AI that
    > they would use on Insane difficulty, even when on lesser difficulties.

    Not when I had it installed, it didn't. Believe me, that would have
    upset me just as much as it would you. I'm pretty sure it's /just/ the
    same random encounters that would show up if you were highest level.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > Jonathan Ellis wrote:
    >
    > > "Graeme Dice" <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>I think you probably want Ishan's "Always Toughest Random Spawns
    in
    > >>Dungeons" from the Tactics mod package.
    > >

    > > Yes, but that *also* includes other things like certain monsters
    being
    > > either "improved", or always using the scripted tactics and AI
    that
    > > they would use on Insane difficulty, even when on lesser
    difficulties.

    > Not when I had it installed, it didn't. Believe me, that would have
    > upset me just as much as it would you. I'm pretty sure it's /just/
    the
    > same random encounters that would show up if you were highest level.

    Also, is there a way to get the Beholder Colour Changes (so that Elder
    Orbs and Hive Mothers look different - did the modder also remember to
    make Death Tyrants look different?) and Underdark Hive Mother (from
    the Smarter Beholders) without the actual Smarter bit of Smarter
    Beholders? Again, I think I can see how to do this by picking the
    relevant files out of the Tactics mod, but am not absolutely sure
    about it...

    Jonathan.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    The tactics mod contains various "components" and I think the Always
    Toughest Random Spawns component does exactly what you want, at least that's
    how the description looks to me. Just don't install any of the "Improved . .
    .." or "Smarter . . ." (or really any of the other) components.

    > "Graeme Dice" <grdice@sasktel.net.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I think you probably want Ishan's "Always Toughest Random Spawns in
    > > Dungeons" from the Tactics mod package.
    >
    > Yes, but that *also* includes other things like certain monsters being
    > either "improved", or always using the scripted tactics and AI that
    > they would use on Insane difficulty, even when on lesser difficulties.
    > I do NOT WANT these changes - if I wanted them always on Insane, I
    > would play on Insane difficulty. I do not do so - I play on Core.
    >
    > Jonathan.

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Gwalchgwynn" <Gwalchgwynn@donotsendspamtome.net> wrote in message
    > The tactics mod contains various "components" and I think the Always
    > Toughest Random Spawns component does exactly what you want, at
    least that's
    > how the description looks to me. Just don't install any of the
    "Improved . .
    > ." or "Smarter . . ." (or really any of the other) components.

    According to the README file for the "Always Toughest Random Spawns"
    component (known as "ishan" in the sub-folder:

    - it includes different AI scripts for monsters, which I suspect are
    the kind of thing that I mentioned above I do NOT want. These includes
    scripts for Imps, Succubus, Yochlol, Erinyes, Glabrezu, Quasits, plus
    the unique monsters Y'tossi the Djinn, Karashur, Tahazzer, the Demon
    Wraith and the Demon Wraith's servants. It also contains a script
    called CBARD12A.BAF, but nobody appears sure which monster it applies
    to, and an apparently empty file called LOWBYE.BAF. All files are in
    BAF form rather than BCS form, in the latest version of Tactics - do
    they even WORK in this form?

    (It also *claims* to contain three scripts called MAGE12A.bcs,
    MAGE14A.bcs and MAGE16A.bcs, but these files are actually not present
    in this particular component of the mod - most likely they were
    removed without the README being updated... What were they supposed to
    be?)

    Also present are various files that change what happens in specific
    areas, particularly Watcher's Keep and the Temple Ruins Tombelthen
    Journal Fix (which, as far as I can tell, is already in Baldurdash
    Bugfixes, from which he claims to have copied the file - I have never
    found the item at all, and I have never played either a ranger or a
    cleric that can be dualled to ranger or have been dualled from ranger,
    so I suspect my game is already working properly in that respect.)

    All in all, it looks like a bit of a mess, not as clear-cut as you
    state, when you actually get down to *looking at what is there in the
    actual folder and reading the readme before installing*.

    Jonathan.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Always a good idea to check the readme's before installing. The Readme for
    the mod is less descriptive. I think they would have to be in .BCS format so
    you would need to use the installer rather than just copying the files, but
    you probably could remove the files you don't want prior to running the
    compiler. Although I am probobly not the best one to give advice on this, it
    seems after installing the files you want would then be in .BCS format in
    the overrides folder, so you could verify that none of the others were
    installed, but take my word for it at your own risk, heh.

    > "Gwalchgwynn" <Gwalchgwynn@donotsendspamtome.net> wrote in message
    > > The tactics mod contains various "components" and I think the Always
    > > Toughest Random Spawns component does exactly what you want, at
    > least that's
    > > how the description looks to me. Just don't install any of the
    > "Improved . .
    > > ." or "Smarter . . ." (or really any of the other) components.
    >
    > According to the README file for the "Always Toughest Random Spawns"
    > component (known as "ishan" in the sub-folder:
    >
    > - it includes different AI scripts for monsters, which I suspect are
    > the kind of thing that I mentioned above I do NOT want. These includes
    > scripts for Imps, Succubus, Yochlol, Erinyes, Glabrezu, Quasits, plus
    > the unique monsters Y'tossi the Djinn, Karashur, Tahazzer, the Demon
    > Wraith and the Demon Wraith's servants. It also contains a script
    > called CBARD12A.BAF, but nobody appears sure which monster it applies
    > to, and an apparently empty file called LOWBYE.BAF. All files are in
    > BAF form rather than BCS form, in the latest version of Tactics - do
    > they even WORK in this form?
    >
    > (It also *claims* to contain three scripts called MAGE12A.bcs,
    > MAGE14A.bcs and MAGE16A.bcs, but these files are actually not present
    > in this particular component of the mod - most likely they were
    > removed without the README being updated... What were they supposed to
    > be?)
    >
    > Also present are various files that change what happens in specific
    > areas, particularly Watcher's Keep and the Temple Ruins Tombelthen
    > Journal Fix (which, as far as I can tell, is already in Baldurdash
    > Bugfixes, from which he claims to have copied the file - I have never
    > found the item at all, and I have never played either a ranger or a
    > cleric that can be dualled to ranger or have been dualled from ranger,
    > so I suspect my game is already working properly in that respect.)
    >
    > All in all, it looks like a bit of a mess, not as clear-cut as you
    > state, when you actually get down to *looking at what is there in the
    > actual folder and reading the readme before installing*.
    >
    > Jonathan.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Always a good idea to check the readme's before installing. The
    Readme for
    > the mod is less descriptive. I think they would have to be in .BCS
    format so
    > you would need to use the installer rather than just copying the
    files, but
    > you probably could remove the files you don't want prior to running
    the
    > compiler.

    I've just been checking what the *other* files contain - the ones that
    I thought I might not want.

    It seems that they concern only the behaviour of these particular
    monsters, or their appearance, depending on (1) whether you are in
    EASY difficulty, (2) whether the Party level is too low (typically
    below 14 or below 16), or (3) whether the Party number is too low
    (typically less than 4 characters in the party.

    In other words, they wouldn't actually affect a party on CORE or even
    NORMAL difficulty, playing Watcher's Keep in Throne of Bhaal with a
    full 6-member party. Frankly even a 4-member party, at Throne of Bhaal
    XP levels, should be able to beat the *full* encounter rather than the
    reduced one. Even a party in Chapter 6 shouldn't have too much trouble
    with the full encounter rather than the reduced one, so it's an insult
    to them to suggest that they need nannying.

    Of course, a party in chapters 2 or 3, or consisting of less than 4
    people, would still have trouble with the full encounter. But who
    cares? Watcher's Keep isn't *meant* to be solo-ed, nor is facing the
    Prince of Demons something that you would expect a low-level party
    fresh out of Chateau Irenicus to do. Admittedly it may be
    theoretically possible to do so, especially with the easy bits.

    So, in other words, in goes the "Always Toughest Random Spawns" bit of
    the Tactics mod, and fair enough, since it doesn't make anything any
    more difficult than you could expect to meet on Core if you had a
    party of sufficient experience - unlike the reputation of much of the
    rest of Weimermods ;-)

    And there is in fact one item which IMHO should be part of this
    component, but is not: that is, the extra Rune Assassin and Bone Fiend
    that only appear if you are of high enough level when pursuing the
    Tanner into his lair. The relevant file is TANHIGH.BCS, and I am
    sending an amended .BAF version of the file to Weimer to be considered
    for future inclusion in this mod ;-)

    Jonathan.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    Jonathan Ellis <jonathan@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

    > And there is in fact one item which IMHO should be part of this
    > component, but is not: that is, the extra Rune Assassin and Bone Fiend
    > that only appear if you are of high enough level when pursuing the
    > Tanner into his lair. The relevant file is TANHIGH.BCS, and I am
    > sending an amended .BAF version of the file to Weimer to be considered
    > for future inclusion in this mod ;-)

    I will be including it, as well as Jonathan's other related suggestions. I
    will also be looking into the "random AI scripts" of this component and
    either pulling them out into another component or removing them.

    - Wes

Components Video Games