Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading the memory on a Dell

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2010 7:03:42 AM

A friend wants to upgrade his Dell machine to 4GB of RAM. He has an Intel q6600 processor on a Dell 0YU822 motherboard. Can you give me some advice on what RAM he should get for ~$100? I'm not sure what RAM he currently has, but I'm thinking he will need to buy 4GB because I doubt the RAM he has will work with other RAM, but correct me if I'm wrong. Keep in mind, he does play games.

Thanks,

Tony

More about : upgrading memory dell

July 8, 2010 9:14:40 AM

Well, as it is a q6600 then I would assume the motherboard requires DDR2. The common speed for such would be 800mhz, so I would say something like this is what he wants
G Skill DDR2 - $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

However, I need to ask - what Operating System is he using? Only 64bit will make full use of 4gb RAM
How much RAM does he currently have? If he is on a 32bit Operating System then 2gb is all he really needs and will unlikely see much peformance gain from more.
July 8, 2010 11:50:58 AM

Well I did some research and Crucial has a page that tells you what RAM will work with different OEM computers. Is that G.Skill better than Crucial Ballistix?
July 8, 2010 12:13:14 PM

I guess it depends on personal opinion, personally I think G Skill is one of the best quality brands and have a decent price to go with it.
!