Best raid for 4 drives

Im building a new system with 4 1tb hard drives.
What is the fastest raid setup that would show up in windows as a drive c and d

Thank You
5 answers Last reply
More about best raid drives
  1. raid 0 will be the fastest, but if one drive fail, all data will be lost.
  2. i would do raid 10 which is raid 0 and 1 together. you lose two hard drives but it is much more reliable plus it is has the speed of zero.
  3. what do you want to accomplish? what's the intended use?
  4. This actually depends on what your system supports, if your using the raid on the motherboard you usually have 0,1, 5,0+1

If your motherboard supports raid 5/6 I would suggest that which combines raid striping with parity information, I highly recommend it. Raid 10 is an interesting setup to be honest, it basically takes your drives and sets up subunits. The subunits are a set of 2 drives that are mirrored, the raid controller then takes these subunits and stripes them for speed.

It is slightly faster than raid 5/6 but in the same way it has roughly the same if not greater chances of loosing your data as raid 6, If you loose 2 drives your still alright but if you loose a 3rd your screwed. I don't find raid 10 to be as secure to be honest, for instance raid 6 you can loose 2 drives but they can be anywhere in the system. If you were running a raid 10 setup and lost 2 drives from the same subunit you would loose all your data so its not quite as secure.

There is another form of this called raid 0+1 which stripes the drives in the subunits, which are then mirrored to the other subunits. Raid 01 and 10 are faster than raid 5/6, but I am not comfortable with them unless you need the speed. If your looking to secure your data use raid 6, this however, requires 5 drives.
  5. RAID 5
    Free space: 3TB
    Loss: 1TB
    Capability: Support up to 1 disk failiure at the time

RAID 10
    Free space: 2TB
    Loss: 2TB
    Capability: Support up to 2 disk failiure at the time.

Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage