Sign in with
Your question

Best raid for 4 drives

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2012 9:11:09 PM

Im building a new system with 4 1tb hard drives.
What is the fastest raid setup that would show up in windows as a drive c and d

Thank You

More about : raid drives

a c 99 G Storage
September 5, 2012 9:18:07 PM

raid 0 will be the fastest, but if one drive fail, all data will be lost.
m
l
September 5, 2012 9:39:45 PM

i would do raid 10 which is raid 0 and 1 together. you lose two hard drives but it is much more reliable plus it is has the speed of zero.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 5, 2012 9:47:58 PM

what do you want to accomplish? what's the intended use?
m
l
September 5, 2012 9:56:41 PM

This actually depends on what your system supports, if your using the raid on the motherboard you usually have 0,1, 5,0+1

If your motherboard supports raid 5/6 I would suggest that which combines raid striping with parity information, I highly recommend it. Raid 10 is an interesting setup to be honest, it basically takes your drives and sets up subunits. The subunits are a set of 2 drives that are mirrored, the raid controller then takes these subunits and stripes them for speed.

It is slightly faster than raid 5/6 but in the same way it has roughly the same if not greater chances of loosing your data as raid 6, If you loose 2 drives your still alright but if you loose a 3rd your screwed. I don't find raid 10 to be as secure to be honest, for instance raid 6 you can loose 2 drives but they can be anywhere in the system. If you were running a raid 10 setup and lost 2 drives from the same subunit you would loose all your data so its not quite as secure.

There is another form of this called raid 0+1 which stripes the drives in the subunits, which are then mirrored to the other subunits. Raid 01 and 10 are faster than raid 5/6, but I am not comfortable with them unless you need the speed. If your looking to secure your data use raid 6, this however, requires 5 drives.
m
l
September 5, 2012 10:05:51 PM

RAID 5
Free space: 3TB
Loss: 1TB
Capability: Support up to 1 disk failiure at the time

RAID 10
Free space: 2TB
Loss: 2TB
Capability: Support up to 2 disk failiure at the time.

m
l
!