How do you choose a new motherboard?

How do you choose one? Sorry I've never built a PC before, starter here. Like, where do I start?
19 answers Last reply
More about choose motherboard
  1. First, decide what you want your system to do. Is it for gaming, video, both, neither, more for internet and documents. You see?
    Then determine how much you want to invest financially.
    Choose components based upon the above and choose your timeframe to keep the configuration before you will want to upgrade. See, most of the components you will be able to keep; like case, drives, fans, usually PSU if you get a good one, say, top of the line Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, etc.
    Maybe you decide that in two years you'll upgrade only the CPU, RAM, and motherboard, so for now you choose a newer socket like a LGA1155 Sandy Bridge i3 for internet duty, or an i5 or i7 for medium gaming.
    Maybe your budget is wide open and you are a hard-core gamer, so you buy a LGA1366 platform with a 990x CPU.

    Maybe you need a system ASAP, but you know you will jump at the LGA2011 upgrade later. Well, you would choose a LGA775 which is near it's production end - maybe even pick up a used system to tide you over till something down the road tickles your fancy.

    Tell us what your choices are; we'll help.
  2. Noworldorder said:
    First, decide what you want your system to do. Is it for gaming, video, both, neither, more for internet and documents. You see?
    Then determine how much you want to invest financially.
    Choose components based upon the above and choose your timeframe to keep the configuration before you will want to upgrade. See, most of the components you will be able to keep; like case, drives, fans, usually PSU if you get a good one, say, top of the line Silverstone, Corsair, Antec, etc.
    Maybe you decide that in two years you'll upgrade only the CPU, RAM, and motherboard, so for now you choose a newer socket like a LGA1155 Sandy Bridge i3 for internet duty, or an i5 or i7 for medium gaming.
    Maybe your budget is wide open and you are a hard-core gamer, so you buy a LGA1366 platform with a 990x CPU.

    Maybe you need a system ASAP, but you know you will jump at the LGA2011 upgrade later. Well, you would choose a LGA775 which is near it's production end - maybe even pick up a used system to tide you over till something down the road tickles your fancy.

    Tell us what your choices are; we'll help.


    gaming. and internet.
    mobo for around 70 or less? the cheaper the better.
    CPU as i3-2100. GPU as AMD 6790
    ram is 4gb, should be 2x2

    very very tight budget. not interested in upgrading at all apart from ram and just maybe cpu.

    what else do you need to know? thanks.
  3. Do you have a preference?...Asus,MSI,Gigabyte

    Your current RAM is DDR3?
  4. ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=H61M-VS $60+6 ship
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241
    Flexible, ready for 2600k when you want to move up to OC, UEFI

    i3-2100
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0359809 $100
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078 $125


    Power Supply (don't go too cheap here; you'll regret it)
    Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033 $25 after rebate...what a steal!!!! (BUY NOW)


    RAM
    Mushkin Enhanced Essentials 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996586
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146748 $40
    Quality value RAM to get you started


    Now, a case and HD and DVD, should be easy to do for $120
    That should be easy for you to do. Have some fun looking around...learning. One thing tough, I suggest an ATX case for 2 reasons; someday you'll move up, and if you're as cheap as I think you are, you'll have this case the rest of your life - I know I will. Secondly, air flow.

    Pick your operating system and you're at $570 (see below)
    But you can chop the price many ways; if you already own you XP disc, say.
    Or, you can transfer the DVD from the system you're using,
    or the case can be cut. Do you already have a GPU?
  5. Oh Rats! I couldn't help myself :)

    Here's a decent case for the money, but there are dozens to pick from:

    NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $50 w/ shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146061
    (although personally I'm a huge fan of the Antec 300 (so are thousands of others as you can see :) ) $60 w/ shipping
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042&cm_re=antec_300-_-11-129-042-_-Product

    Hard Drive $45
    Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (so it doesn't have cables or disc - you won't need them)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136073

    DVD $20

    LG Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136177

    OS $100
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116754
  6. It sounds like your budget is around $600. The latest $500 ($600 with Win7) SBM gaming build would be a better choice than the i3-2100. Replace the AMD Phenom II X4 925 with the 955BE CPU, for around $25 more, and you are set. The HD 6850 is better than the 6790.
  7. ^+1
  8. Oh my thanks guys!
    I've got my own Win7, so that's set. Yeahh I budget shouldn't be more than 550. Well I guess 600's alright but as cheap as possible.

    @DXRick what do you mean by the SBM Gaming build? I've read in many reviews that apparently the i3-2100 is the best choice by far.
  9. And also, what would you guys recommend? the 6790 or the 6850? Cos isn't the 6790 really really similar, but a lot cheaper?
  10. SeizedBog said:
    Oh my thanks guys!

    @DXRick what do you mean by the SBM Gaming build? I've read in many reviews that apparently the i3-2100 is the best choice by far.

    This is the SBM 500 for 2011:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html

    Many of the components in the SBM are well chosen, no doubt, and they can be mixed and matched with pieces you find, but You asked about the i3-2100, so that is what I worked around. I agree with you that it is a better choice by far; less power consumption, newer socket, more and future CPUs,etc.
    Even with the Sandy Bridge mistake; Intel is eating AMD's lunch.
  11. thanks.
    woah. so i should go with the i3-2100? even if it's only dual core? should i stick with the 2100 or is it worth it to got for the extra .2 ghtz for the i2-2120?

    so i guess no quadcore amd then :/


    why is sandy bridge a mistake?
  12. SB is not a mistake. There is nothing wrong with their CPUs. A few months back there was a recall of the Cougar Point chipset on the MB to fix a flawed transitor. All of the SB boards now have the B3 revision and are fine.

    The AMD choice would be fine. Which is better? That's up to you - No one can tell you that; want newer tech=i3, i5, i7. Want more cores=AMD. Want flexibility, power savings, go with the crowd, paper or plastic...
    no one here is wrong, what you will be thinking a year or two from now is what's right.
  13. Noworldorder said:
    SB is not a mistake. There is nothing wrong with their CPUs. A few months back there was a recall of the Cougar Point chipset on the MB to fix a flawed transitor. All of the SB boards now have the B3 revision and are fine.

    The AMD choice would be fine. Which is better? That's up to you - No one can tell you that; want newer tech=i3, i5, i7. Want more cores=AMD. Want flexibility, power savings, go with the crowd, paper or plastic...
    no one here is wrong, what you will be thinking a year or two from now is what's right.


    What do you think is best in this case? Small budget, gaming pc. Oh, btw. I don't require THAT great graphics.
    A friend suggested me to invest in i5 and ease on the GPU a bit to save money, this way, I can use CPU for a long time, and a better GPU i can get whenever I save enough money. What do you say? CPU or GPU more important? Or both compromised.

    For gaming, would I want more cores or newer tech?
    Cos I'm gonna be playing sports games on weekdays, and fps on weekends. So I guess really i dont need hardcore gpu. I can settle with medium settings for games like COD. What gpu would you recommend along with CPU? considering a very small budget :/
  14. Noworldorder said:
    This is the SBM 500 for 2011:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/budget-gaming-pc-phenom-ii-radeon-hd-6850,2903.html

    Many of the components in the SBM are well chosen, no doubt, and they can be mixed and matched with pieces you find, but You asked about the i3-2100, so that is what I worked around. I agree with you that it is a better choice by far; less power consumption, newer socket, more and future CPUs,etc.
    Even with the Sandy Bridge mistake; Intel is eating AMD's lunch.


    Wait. so what did you mean here when you said 'Even with the Sandy Bridge mistake;
  15. He might of meant the SB mobo's.
  16. SeizedBog said:
    Wait. so what did you mean here when you said 'Even with the Sandy Bridge mistake;
    I aalready answered that.
    Anonymous said:
    He might of meant the SB mobo's.
    Correct.

    Actually, Seizedbog, since I always plan for the future, even if it means a sacrifice now, if I had your budget I'd forget about everything said above about MB and CPU choices and wait for a Z68 board and stick a 2500k on it. That way you've got your OC and you can wait to get a GPU. In the meantime you can start qcquiring ancillary parts on sale.
  17. I now believe I was wrong about the AMD 955BE being a better choice.

    I read two articles: Who's Got Game? Twelve Sub-$200 CPUs Compared and The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested.

    Even THG said:

    Quote:
    That brings us to the Phenom II X4 955, a processor that was really unbeatable at $150, prior to the less-expensive Sandy Bridge-based Core i3s launching. The Phenom II X4 955 remains a viable option because of multiplier-unlocked overclockability and true quad-core prowess. But the upcoming Core i3-2100 steals its status as the obvious choice, making this CPU part of a decision that gamers and modders will have to think about. Perhaps it'll come down to the platform already under your proverbial hood, and if an AM3-based chip makes an upgrade less expensive than a new Core i3 and LGA 1155 motherboard.
  18. Noworldorder said:
    I aalready answered that.
    Correct.

    Actually, Seizedbog, since I always plan for the future, even if it means a sacrifice now, if I had your budget I'd forget about everything said above about MB and CPU choices and wait for a Z68 board and stick a 2500k on it. That way you've got your OC and you can wait to get a GPU. In the meantime you can start qcquiring ancillary parts on sale.



    Yeah good idea. I think Imma do that. But I'll only wait till the summer.
    But really, I'm only going to use this PC for 3-4 years, cos after that I'm off to uni, unless I bring my PC to uni.
    So mhmm.
  19. I buy parts and resell them on auctions all the time. You could jump into a H67 board now with a i3-2100...and associated parts as above...then you would not need a graphics card yet.
    Then, say, in November, sell the MB and 2100 and replace with something better. That's pretty much how we all do it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Product