SSD- SATA II vs SATA III

is there a big performance difference between sata 2 and sata 3 SSD's? i know the speed numbers show there is, but wondered if in practice the difference is that large. i would be using it as a read device.

thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about sata sata
  1. It depends, you should verify your drive's specs...

SATA Speeds:

SATA1: 1.5 gigabits/sec
    SATA2: 3 gigabits/sec
    SATA3: 6 gigabits/sec

So a drive with a maximum of:

100 megabytes/sec = 800 megabits/sec ->SATA1 would be enough
    300 megabytes/sec = 2.4 gigabits/sec ->SATA3 would be better
    500 megabytes/sec = 4 gigabits/sec ->SATA3 would be better

Note that if your drive has a cache, this cache can be faster then its average speed.
    Please quote and correct me if I'm wrong.
  2. if the drive is being accessed constantly then SATA3 is better, lighter work (windows Boot) SATA 2 will be fine
  3. 300MB = 2.34375 Gbit
    500MB = 3.90625 Gbit
  4. jimlau said:
    is there a big performance difference between sata 2 and sata 3 SSD's? i know the speed numbers show there is, but wondered if in practice the difference is that large. i would be using it as a read device.

thanks.

I wanted to respond, I have a sata 3 ssd drive and when I put it into a sata 2 port the windows 7 logo completes and stays for about 3 seconds, then goes to my desktop.

When I have it on my sata 3 port the boot up almost completes the windows logo.

Game wise though I haven't noticed any difference.
  5. jimlau said:
    ... i would be using it as a read device.

What exactly do you mean by that statement?
  6. If you SSD average read/write speed is 300MB/s or higher you are better off using SATAIII ports and Cables with it:

I don't have any SATAII response as my first mobo is Z77 and it come with 2 SATAIII port & cables, it is helpful if your games are on your SSD and you constantly need to load during games

From TR's OCZ Vertex 4 review

Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Performance SATA Storage