Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 470 OC SLI, PSU and Temps Issue!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2010 1:02:10 PM

Hello ther, kinda new at the community, I dont really know how this works so I will just give it a go. I have a 850TX series Corsair Certified PSU running a CPU Intel i7-860 (not overclocked), a single 500GB hard drive, single Sony Dvd burner, and a GTX 470 Superclocked Edition from EVGA; everything runs fine but I was thinkin of buying a second GTX 470 SC edition video card to get a SLI system ready, I was wondering if I should change my PSU for that and if so, which one? I heard the temps in these card run extremely high, so should I get an additional cooling system? (my case is a 932 HAF Full Tower Cooler Master with 4 HUGE fans)
Another thing, is overclocking my i7-860 really worth it? should I get a more powerful fan for it?
Thanks in advance guys
a c 125 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 1:11:06 PM

Hey, welcome :) 

Your Corsair TX850 is plenty even for GTX470 SLI (and the rest of your PC)

Your case is among the best for air flow, so don't worry to much about the temps as they shouldn't be a problem.

I would advice you to get an aftermarket cooler for your Core i7 860 and overclock it, as it will bottleneck your GPU(s) at stock speed.
m
l
May 30, 2010 1:20:40 PM

Rustyy117 said:
Hey, welcome :) 

Your Corsair TX850 is plenty even for GTX470 SLI (and the rest of your PC)

Your case is among the best for air flow, so don't worry to much about the temps as they shouldn't be a problem.

I would advice you to get an aftermarket cooler for your Core i7 860 and overclock it, as it will bottleneck your GPU(s) at stock speed.

So I should overclock my i7-870? Isn't a bottleneck an issue for the GPUs? after overclocking the CPU, is the PSU enough for the whole system, including the SLI 470s?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 125 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 1:43:46 PM

The CPU would be the bottleneck as it wouldn't be fast enough to keep up with your GPU's, Thats why I recommend you overclock your CPU.

Your TX850 will be fine even with an overclocked 860 and SLI GTX470 OC editions.
May 30, 2010 1:45:16 PM

Best answer selected by roroxiiroro.
m
l
!