ActiveX Error in XP Home Edition

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I get an error in IE, "my security settings prohibit running activex controls
on this
page" in *any* web page and can't go to the microsoft windows update page to
even see if there are any updates for my computer. I'm forced to use Firefox
to search through my uninstall folder and see if I've downloaded a patch.

I can't use Quickbooks because it's dependant on ActiveX (yes, I've tried
reinstalling it).

My permissions for IE are medium and now I'm getting MySql errors when
logging on to sites I used to just one week ago.

I'm monitoring with TrendMicro's antivirus and Firewall as well as Webroot's
Spy Sweeper. I've also swept with the new Microsoft AntiSpyware (devil of a
time downloading that one, by the way). And I've scanned with Avast, after I
disabled the main ActiveX control panel and used the plain old GUI. I get
nothing in the way of malware or spyware. I've also run HijackThis and
posted my log to forums at CastleCops. I'm clean.

What gives? Do I need to do an XP upgrade and get the base XP files back on
the computer and from there install XP2?

Thanks.

"Bryan" <Bryan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I get an error in IE, "my security settings prohibit running activex controls
>on this
>page" in *any* web page and can't go to the microsoft windows update page to
>even see if there are any updates for my computer. I'm forced to use Firefox
>to search through my uninstall folder and see if I've downloaded a patch.
>
>I can't use Quickbooks because it's dependant on ActiveX (yes, I've tried
>reinstalling it).

If you do not get further help from here, post this to
Also see
"How to Troubleshoot Possible Causes of Internet Connection Problems"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314095),
"How to troubleshoot problems accessing secure Web pages with Internet
Explorer 6 Service Pack 2"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700),
"How to Troubleshoot Situations Where You Cannot Connect to Secure Web
Sites by Using Internet Explorer in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444).

--
(tm)

Are you using ZoneAlarm?