Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard/RAM advice

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2010 12:44:35 PM

Hello,

I am looking to replace most of my components, but am undecided on which ones to go for. These are my thoughts so far:

BX80601920 - Intel Core i7 920 D0 SLBEJ Bloomfield 45nm, 2.66GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 20x Ratio, 130W, Retail
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Intel-Core-i7-920-D0-SLB...

850W Corsair CMPSU-850HXUK, ATX, EPS12V, Modular, UK Version
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/850W-Corsair-CMPSU-850HX...

Inno3D GTX 480 (already bought)

But I have no idea about motherboard or RAM. I was planning to get another ASUS board, but not sure which one. I will probably do some overclocking, and although I can't afford SLI at the moment, I would like the option open for the future.

What about cooling? I've got a big fan on the side of my case and a couple of internal ones, but is it worth getting a special CPU cooler?

Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

More about : motherboard ram advice

a c 84 B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 1:42:16 PM

To start, you should get the i7-930. It's an upgraded version of the 920, and should cost about the same.

Second, if you want to be able to SLI the 480, you'll need a bigger PSU. The 480s are crazy power hungry. You'll need at least a 950W unit.

For the motherboard, I would get a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. It's pretty cheap (for X58 boards), but it's a high performance, high quality model that's packed with features.

For the RAM, get any non-OCZ 3x2 GB 1600 mhz CAS Latency 7 sticks. G.Skill, Corsair, and Mushkin are the top brands. Don't get OCZ because they have compatibility issues, especially with Intel builds.

On cooling, you don't really need anything other than the the stock case fans and stock CPU cooler unless you plan on overclocking. If you want to OC, you'll need a CPU cooler. Some good ones are the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus, Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B and the Noctua NH-D14.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 10:54:56 PM

MadAdmiral said:
Don't get OCZ because they have compatibility issues, especially with Intel builds.
I dont think its compatibility issues as they also cause problems for AMD systems. They just dont really work at their listed ratings, which makes it a PITA to get them running stable if you push them anywhere near their listed performance specs. In any case OCZ is not recommended unless you enjoy spending hours fiddling in the bios, struggling to get your system stable.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 11:08:21 PM

MadAdmiral gave great advice!

930, Gigabyte, and Scythe.

But I'd go with Crucial Ballistix RAM DDR 1333. TGH used it in all 3 of their SBM last month.

Is your current case ok? Antec 300, cheaper and good.
July 9, 2010 9:29:28 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. The Gigabyte looks good, it has some good reviews and seems to have a lot of features for the price.

The i7 920 is cheaper in the UK so I might go with that anyway, as there doesn't seem to be much difference between them.

I've never overclocked before, is there a good guide for a newbie?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2010 11:29:58 PM

Step 1 is always to get it working stable without overclocking.

Then look in the overclocking forums here or at overclock.net for a guide for your CPU (intel i series).
!