Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best Raid Settings?

Last response: in Storage
September 5, 2012 11:14:48 PM

greetings sir, i need a little help about the setup for my drives since i only have a little bit of knowledge about raid.

HD 1 = 1TERABYTE SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
HD 2 = 250GB ST3250310AS Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

RIG SETUP:
Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate Edition x64
Processor Intel Core i7 950
Motherboard Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Memory 6GB G.Skill F3 12800CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2GB)
Video Card SAPPHIRE HD6850 1GB 256-bit

USE:
AutoCad, 3DsMax, Vray,
Watching HD Movies, Simple Games (LoL, NFS)

Does a RAID set-up makes me load application from my drive to load much faster?
i want to know is it possible for my two un-identical drives to be setup on RAID? what would be the best Raid set-up for my RIG as far as my research go i would like to go for the Raid 0 or Raid 1 i need fast loading times when i open all my application and retrieve information as fast as possible.

if RAID is not possible, where on my drive would be the best to install my OS and applications, on my unpartitioned 250GB or on my 1T Hardrive (3 partition C: for windows and programs, D: for my 3d models, and E: for my HD Movies & other files.)

i want to get what can i squeeze of my hardware to enhance my PC's performance.

More about : raid settings

September 5, 2012 11:29:27 PM

Hi,

For a RAID setup, it is generally advised to use two of the same drives. IF you were to setup a RAID 0 array, you would lose 750GB of Total storage space, leaving you with only 500 GB total and a bit of a speed bump. The same concept applies to RAID 1, meaning if you were to assign them into a RAID array, you would only have 250GB, but that that 250GB would be written onto your 1TB drive. Leaving you with a total loss of 1TB of data.

When building your RAID array, you need to remember that it wipes the drives completely. So you would need to create an image or backup whatever you have on your working drive now.

Also remember that a RAID 0 array, once broken, is quite difficult to recover the data from, often costing hundreds to thousands of dollars.
m
l

Best solution

September 5, 2012 11:32:07 PM

There is not much to be gained by running a raid setup, compared to the risk you take in doing so.

Generally a raid 0 (data striping) is used to increase performance, but you lose a lot of capacity in doing so (the storage space added to the array by each disk is limited to the size of the smallest disk); you also have the inherent risk of failure of the complete array if one disk fails.

The 7200.10 is only a Sata 3.0 drive as well. So you really don't have much to gain with all the risk exposure. What I would do, however (assuming this is a clean install), is put your OS on the smaller drive, and use the larger disk as storage. Then in the future (hopefully nearer than distant) you can get a ssd, and transfer your OS to the new ssd (which would be faster than a raid0 for those two disks) while keeping the storage disk intact.

There really isn't much you can squeeze out of your drives, raid-wise; sorry; if you are dead set on trying to get more performance, your best bet is to find a second 250GB 7200.10 (ie if you can get it free or cheaper) and run a raid0 with the two identical disks for the OS. Otherwise you are working with obsolete hardware; SSD are not that expensive nowadays for a drive big enough for an OS install.
Related resources
September 6, 2012 1:08:22 AM

@ Aidanjc
thanks really sir for that info, and from what i read about your post i think it not good for me to have a raid set-up.

@welshac
that was a good idea, and i've been thinking that too but my problem is according to reviews 1T HD is much more faster comapred to my 250GB HD. thats why im confused if i'll put my OS and Applications to my 1TB or on my 250GB.

also im confused by these argument, and i dont know whether it's a fact or just a hoax,
my mentality is if i put my OS on 1TB drive with 3 partitions a C: for the OS and application and the others for my files im thinking that when my 1TB HD is full, will it runs the application slowly because the drive is full of data. thus making the 250GB for OS and application a better choice, for it only has low capacity programs can be load faster. is this right?

thanks for those comments sir. hope more comments/explanations to come!
m
l
September 22, 2012 5:57:44 PM

Best answer selected by jan_09.
m
l
!