Bringing a computer to Europe

Lukens

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I'm not sure if this is the right section to post this question since it's my first Post on Tom's Hardware, so sorry if that's the case.

I'm travelling to Holland the 13th this month and I'm planning to ship my computer I built back in July with me, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with adapting the power sources since they use different plugs there in Europe. I'm currently in the USA and my computer has a 850w power supply if that's relevant.

Basically, what will I need to do to use my desktop computer over there without frying it because of the power source differences/plug differences.

Thanks, I appreciate any responses, and sorry if this doesn't make much sense - was told by family that I'd need a surge protector that can adapt the cables or something like that, but it was pretty vague.

Timop

Distinguished
Welcome!

What PSU do you have? Check if it has Active PFC, if it does it can work fine with the 220/230/240v electricity in Europe.

If so, all you will need is a power cord that they use in the Netherlands, (I think the one with the round plugs..)

Lukens

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for the quick responses, here's the power supply I'm currently using for those asking:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009

What is an active PFC? I built the computer but I still don't really know anything about most of the computer parts, I kinda treated it like putting legos together, haha.

From what I'm gathering all I'll need is a new chord going from the power supply at the back of my computer to the wall, no surge protectors or anything?

Also, is this chord something I could just buy on newegg/amazon ahead of time? If so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Active PFC makes sure the voltage and current are in phase, it makes the load a little lighter on the power company and has the side effect of allowing the PSU to be used anywhere in the world because they accept voltages from 90V-264V and either 50Hz or 60Hz frequency.

The 850TX has active PFC so it will work anywhere in the world, you just need to get a power cord that will fit into the outlets over there and it will work perfectly fine.

Newegg and amazon probably wont carry the cord for outlets in Holland, but once you are over there any computer shop should have one for a couple of bucks.

You may have other problems, Some serial numbers for Windows are regionally restricted and if you run WGA your Windows maybe flagged as non genuine. Another problem is that your DVD drive is region 1 while DVD's in Europe are region 2. Also if you use a modem the modem cable will be of the wrong type and will not work.

If you have an Intel system without a stock cooler and it does not have a backing plate, I suggest you remove the cooler and box it up separately. You do not want the pushpins pulling out and the cooler bouncing around in the case.

I also recommend pulling the hard drives and either packing them separately or hand carrying them.