Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading an agp card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 30, 2010 2:18:37 PM

Im looking to upgrade my Geforce 6200 card i have had the card for a few months now and am looking to play some more recent games.
I only have 1 graphics card slot which is agp 3.0 8x and the maximum bandwith is 528mb/s.
I have had a quick shop around but all im looking for is a card that can keep up with a few of the more recent games and can stream videos to my TV in high def.

I understand that the agp slot is outdated and im not looking for a miracle any help is much apreciated.

My card

More about : upgrading agp card

a c 189 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 3:10:55 PM

the best card you can get is HD4670 AGP version...
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 30, 2010 6:25:46 PM

What processor do you have and what is your budget?
You can get still an ok AGP card for current games at low resolutions they aren't great and are quite overpriced. Plus it is likely that your CPU is simply not appropriate for current games so the benefit you will see from the card will be limited.
A better idea may be to basically replace the main components of the system. For even as low as around $200 you can replace your CPU/motherboard/ram and the video card with something that will be much better both for gaming and general usage than just adding a new card to your current system.
Related resources
May 30, 2010 11:45:26 PM

jyjjy said:
What processor do you have and what is your budget?
You can get still an ok AGP card for current games at low resolutions they aren't great and are quite overpriced. Plus it is likely that your CPU is simply not appropriate for current games so the benefit you will see from the card will be limited.
A better idea may be to basically replace the main components of the system. For even as low as around $200 you can replace your CPU/motherboard/ram and the video card with something that will be much better both for gaming and general usage than just adding a new card to your current system.

Budget is anywere below £100 and the processor is a intel pentium 4 2.80ghz.Your probably right about replacing some of the components.
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 12:24:42 AM

The cost I quoted to upgrade is a bit low considering you aren't the US but it's probably still the best way to proceed. I would recommend an Athlon II x2 or x3. A ok motherboard for it can be had for as little as $50-60 in the US, dunno about over there. Some boards allow you to unlock the extra cores on those processors(they both actually have 4 but 1 or 2 are disabled.) There's a good chance the locked cores will actually work so look for one of those. 4 gigs of ram would be optimal but 2 gigs will be acceptable. Which video card you should get depends on how much you want to spend really as well as the native resolution of your monitor.
If you would rather get an AGP card for what you have now I'd just grab an HD4650. It will still be limited by your processor but it will certainly be several times better than your current card.
May 31, 2010 11:50:28 AM

i have 4 gigs in the pc im currently using thank you for all the help looks like im going shopping
a c 376 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 6:33:42 PM

Is your ram DDR2? If so you can use it with a new motherboard.
!