Switching from SATA 6 to SATA 3 - Sabertooth X58

Hi, I have a Sabertooth X 58 mobo and a single Seagate Barracude XT HDD (SATA 6/64mb).

I have already hooked up the HDD to the SATA 6 input and installed Windows 7 and my question is can I just unplug the HDD from the SATA 6 and plug it into the SATA 3 input without having to reformat and reinstall my OS? Would that cause a problem?

I am having to many headaches with the SATA 6 Marvell cotroller and I just want to switch to the more stable SATA 3.

Thank you from a noob.
6 answers Last reply
More about switching sata sata sabertooth
  1. Shouldn't have any problems. Just turn it off plug it into the port of choice and it should boot right up.
  2. Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

Yes, just move it to a SATA2 port. Preferably the first SATA2 port if its the boot HDD. There's no advantage for a mechanical HDD to run on a SATA3 port. The SATA2 is 300 MB/s ports and the HDD at best is 140~150 MB/s. Oddly it's the maximum speed of the original SATAI 150 MB/s.

Further, if you have it set as AHCI then go into the BIOS and Set the Intel SATA2 -> AHCI.

Verify by checking the registry -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 or you can run Fix It.

Good Luck! :)
  3. Thank you to both of you. I appreciate it. I just feel kind of dumb by falling into the noob trap of marketing hype. I really thought buying this HDD would let me take advantage of the 6gbs capability on the mobo but the Marvell controller causes nothing but headaches.

Oh well, I guess it's all part of being a noob. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
  4. On the bright side, most SATA3 HDD's have 64MB caches vs 32MB - it helps.

Good Luck!
  5. Out of curiosity what problems were the Marvell controller giving you?
  6. Hi Kilo, sorry for the late response. For starters I had trouble getting BIOS to recognize it because it didn't go through the normal controller. The Seagate diagnostic tool that I downloaded didn't even recognize the drive. I ended up downloading a beta version of the Marvell controller which kind of made things okay. But then I had to install Windows 7 three times because it kept crashing while trying to install not to mention the "Bootmgr missing" episode. Then I had three BSOD reboots while trying to back up the drive, a crash reboot when I ran windows experience index and another crash reboot while trying to install Flight Sim X. I never had one problem when I had a drive hooked up to the SATA II.

Don't get me wrong though, the Sabertooth X58 is a good solid mobo, just don't bother with the virtual SATA III.

BTW, thanks again to you and Jaquith for the help. I plugged it straight into the SATA II and it now works like a dream.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards SATA Hard Drives Sabertooth