Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD 965, 1055T or 1090T

Last response: in CPUs
September 5, 2010 7:34:34 PM

Hello! As I don't have much knowledge of the small technical details of processors, I have some questions;

1. What is the air-cooled over-clock potential for each of the processors listed below?
2. Which of these processors has the best (current and future) price/performance ratio?
3. Is it worth waiting for the price of AMD's new range of hex-core processors ("Thuban") to drop?
4. Overall, which processor do you think would give me the best value for money (current and future)?

The budget for this build is not astronomically high, but it must perform as much as possible in the fields of
video editing/rendering, virtual machines and gaming* (yes, a little bit of everything). I am not upgrading the
main components (in other words, the processor and motherboard) for at least another few years, hence my
need for a future-ready processor which can be over-clocked easily on air alone. *The least important.

(A) AMD Phenom II X4 965 [BE]
(B) AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
(C) AMD Phenom II X6 1090T [BE]

Thanks for your help forum! :D  I'm having a really hard time deciding which processor to get (this is my first build).

More about : amd 965 1055t 1090t

September 5, 2010 7:51:12 PM

From this chart it appears that the 1055T is much better than the 965: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html .
However, I have also been told that the hex-core's are better suited to multi-threading, and the quad-core's to gaming. :??: 
Score

Best solution

a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 5, 2010 8:04:06 PM

The hex cores are better suited to heavily threaded activities like audio encoding / video rendering. The Thuban's also have 'Turbo Core' that lets 3 cores speed up over stock speeds.
The reason a quad core might be faster in gaming is the higher clock speed at stock.
If both are overclocked to around the same speed you have a win/win situation for the 1055T hex core.
More cores for heavily threaded media programs and a faster clock speed for gaming.
Both 1055T and 965BE will OC to ~3.8Ghz without too much drama, a bit more if you want to push them a bit.
Related resources
September 5, 2010 11:48:59 PM

WR2 said:
The hex cores are better suited to heavily threaded activities like audio encoding / video rendering. The Thuban's also have 'Turbo Core' that lets 3 cores speed up over stock speeds.
The reason a quad core might be faster in gaming is the higher clock speed at stock.
If both are overclocked to around the same speed you have a win/win situation for the 1055T hex core.
More cores for heavily threaded media programs and a faster clock speed for gaming.
Both 1055T and 965BE will OC to ~3.8Ghz without too much drama, a bit more if you want to push them a bit.

Well I do plan to do a lot of rendering, and I will probably need to be running virtual machines in the near future for testing software and the like.
If I can overclock to the speeds you mentioned with the 1055T (matching the 965), then I see no reason why not, really - two extra cores to use! :sol: 
Would it be possible to overclock to 4.0GHz? I have heard that this is possible, although I'm unsure of the stability and cooling issues with doing this.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 5, 2010 11:56:53 PM

Gizzo said:
Would it be possible to overclock to 4.0GHz? I have heard that this is possible, although I'm unsure of the stability and cooling issues with doing this.
It is possible, I've see quite a few reports of a successful 4Ghz OC. Individual results can vary, and not everyone gets to 4Ghz. Others just don't want to raise the CPU voltage to the point it closes in on the top range. Even those that get to 4Ghz often back it off to 3.8Ghz for 24/7 operations and to help keep CPU temps down.
4GHz seems a 'magic' number but the difference between 3.8Ghz and 4Ghz isn't something you'd be able to notice without benchmark type testing.
Score
a b à CPUs
September 6, 2010 12:28:09 AM

My 1055T seems pretty nice. Rather than OCing though, I kept stock clocks and undervolted it significantly. Now it idles within a few watts of my old X2 250 and under load uses significantly less power than a stock 1055T. Also threw a Hyper 212+ on it, so load temps are quite low (not surprisingly). Sped up my multithreaded rendering tremendously - single thread, not so much.
Score
September 6, 2010 2:28:16 AM

Out of the 3 CPU's the 1055T is the best bang for buck. I opted for the 1090T and wish I went with my orig. plan to get the 1055T. The 1055T can be OC'd to 3.8ghz most times fairly easily as some have said, which is plenty for most people.
Also, the Thuban CPU's seems to have been able to add more cores while keeping power draw and heat under the same levels as the 955/965 IIRC. So while quads generally are better for gaming than hex's I'd say, this isn't really the case here, to some degree.
I would personally go with the 1055T hands down. To be honest, the 1090T is overpriced when compared to the 1055T yet underpriced when compared to Intel... Although I haven't checked intel prices lately, heard they did some drops so this may not be the case anymore.
And since you state that video/audio rendering is going to be part of the workload, the 1055T's 2 extra cores will be a huge assist in any programs that can utilize more than 4 threads, which for rendering should be the case.
Score
September 6, 2010 6:36:37 PM

WR2 said:
It is possible, I've see quite a few reports of a successful 4Ghz OC. Individual results can vary, and not everyone gets to 4Ghz. Others just don't want to raise the CPU voltage to the point it closes in on the top range. Even those that get to 4Ghz often back it off to 3.8Ghz for 24/7 operations and to help keep CPU temps down.
4GHz seems a 'magic' number but the difference between 3.8Ghz and 4Ghz isn't something you'd be able to notice without benchmark type testing.

I see what you mean. I'm not at the stage of squeezing numbers out of my machine, so as long as the difference is small I would be impressed. :D 

EXT64 said:
My 1055T seems pretty nice. Rather than OCing though, I kept stock clocks and undervolted it significantly. Now it idles within a few watts of my old X2 250 and under load uses significantly less power than a stock 1055T. Also threw a Hyper 212+ on it, so load temps are quite low (not surprisingly). Sped up my multithreaded rendering tremendously - single thread, not so much.

Thanks for mentioning this. I'll keep this in mind for when I start playing about with the configuration. I don't want an extremely power hungry machine, and it's possible that I might not need to over-clock it straight away (it depends on the performance I get - I'm not sure what to expect).

Fuell said:
Out of the 3 CPU's the 1055T is the best bang for buck. I opted for the 1090T and wish I went with my orig. plan to get the 1055T. The 1055T can be OC'd to 3.8ghz most times fairly easily as some have said, which is plenty for most people.
I would personally go with the 1055T hands down. To be honest, the 1090T is overpriced when compared to the 1055T yet underpriced when compared to Intel... Although I haven't checked intel prices lately, heard they did some drops so this may not be the case anymore.
And since you state that video/audio rendering is going to be part of the workload, the 1055T's 2 extra cores will be a huge assist in any programs that can utilize more than 4 threads, which for rendering should be the case.

Interesting... I did find the 1090T a rather large price jump from the 1055T. When you say "most times", what are the limitations you are considering?
I'll be getting the Antec 300 (with all fan bays filled; 3 x exhaust, 2 x intake), plus the Arctic Freezer Pro (or similar) processor cooler.
Score
a c 203 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 6, 2010 7:08:53 PM

THG just built and reviewed a X6 1055T system which they OC'd to ~4Ghz.
You can read about it here.

Arctic Freezer Pro would not be my first choice (or my 12th choice either) of CPU cooler for a 4Ghz overclock target.
Check the linked article to see what the THG guys used for CPU cooling.
Score
September 6, 2010 7:16:11 PM

WR2 said:
THG just built and reviewed a X6 1055T system which they OC'd to ~4Ghz.
You can read about it here.

Arctic Freezer Pro would not be my first choice (or my 12th choice either) of CPU cooler for a 4Ghz overclock target.
Check the linked article to see what the THG guys used for CPU cooling.

Right, gotcha. Thanks. :) 
Score
September 6, 2010 7:16:42 PM

Best answer selected by Gizzo.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 6, 2010 7:24:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!