Sign in with
Your question

How to turn hdd off when i don't need

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2012 3:18:41 AM

Hi.
First of all im sorry about my english..
Im a lenovo ideapad y580 user and i have 1 tb hdd in my laptop.Yesterday i bought a sdd( 128 mb crucial 4m) and a caddy (still waiting for shipping). So i will put my dvdrom out and i will use my ssd with caddy. That means i will have 1 hdd and 1 ssd,of course i will install windows 7 to my ssd. For me that means using more energy and less battery life. I know that ssd is not using so much energy but anyway.
So my question: is that possible to turn off hdd when im not using and save energy?
Thank you..

More about : turn hdd

a c 355 G Storage
September 6, 2012 12:58:18 PM

If you haven't changed windows 7 power settings, it should already be spinning down your hard drive after 20 minutes of idle time. Check your power settings under the control panel to verify the option.
September 13, 2012 1:22:30 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you haven't changed windows 7 power settings, it should already be spinning down your hard drive after 20 minutes of idle time. Check your power settings under the control panel to verify the option.

But i want to spinning down when im using laptop.
Right now i have 1 ssd (with win 7) and 1 hdd with some movies and musics in it.so when im surfing or reading im not using my hdd. but its not an idle time.
a c 355 G Storage
September 13, 2012 2:06:43 PM

That's drive idle time, not user idle time. If none of your programs access the drive for 20 minutes, the drive spins down. You can lower it to 5 minutes in the power settings if you want.
!