Sign in with
Your question

How to turn hdd off when i don't need

Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2012 3:18:41 AM

Hi.
First of all im sorry about my english..
Im a lenovo ideapad y580 user and i have 1 tb hdd in my laptop.Yesterday i bought a sdd( 128 mb crucial 4m) and a caddy (still waiting for shipping). So i will put my dvdrom out and i will use my ssd with caddy. That means i will have 1 hdd and 1 ssd,of course i will install windows 7 to my ssd. For me that means using more energy and less battery life. I know that ssd is not using so much energy but anyway.
So my question: is that possible to turn off hdd when im not using and save energy?
Thank you..

More about : turn hdd

a c 376 G Storage
September 6, 2012 12:58:18 PM

If you haven't changed windows 7 power settings, it should already be spinning down your hard drive after 20 minutes of idle time. Check your power settings under the control panel to verify the option.
m
l
September 13, 2012 1:22:30 AM

Hawkeye22 said:
If you haven't changed windows 7 power settings, it should already be spinning down your hard drive after 20 minutes of idle time. Check your power settings under the control panel to verify the option.

But i want to spinning down when im using laptop.
Right now i have 1 ssd (with win 7) and 1 hdd with some movies and musics in it.so when im surfing or reading im not using my hdd. but its not an idle time.
m
l
a c 376 G Storage
September 13, 2012 2:06:43 PM

That's drive idle time, not user idle time. If none of your programs access the drive for 20 minutes, the drive spins down. You can lower it to 5 minutes in the power settings if you want.
m
l
!