Canon i960 fading color

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 19, 2004 3:48:35 PM

I have been trying to get good results printing with my canon i960. Any
place the picture has black or nearly black the color changes in one day
to be a redish brown rather than black. All other colors look good. I am
using Epson glossy photo paper and have tried various settings for the
paper selection for the printer. Is this likely an ink or paper problem?
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 9:09:07 PM

baileyjr@adelphia.net wrote:
> I have been trying to get good results printing with my canon i960.
> Any place the picture has black or nearly black the color changes in
> one day to be a redish brown rather than black. All other colors look
> good. I am using Epson glossy photo paper and have tried various
> settings for the paper selection for the printer. Is this likely an
> ink or paper problem?

Since you have a Canon printer I suggest you try the Canon gloss paper
recommended for that printer and make sure you are using the Canon ink
recommended. Not all gloss paper is the same. Each printer has it's own
characteristics. It may work well with several combinations of paper and
ink, but not others. This is not a quality issue, but rather fitting the
right materials to the right tools. Starting with the recommended
materials, paper and ink, is the way to learn with what should work. Then
try different materials if you like. I have an Epson and I use Epson
materials and great results. I would not expect them to work as well on
your canon however or the other way around.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 10:44:08 PM

The Canon i960 inks change color to some degree as they dry and this is
discussed by Canon. I see this also in prints from my Epson 1280 although
the change is not as obvious as with Canon prints. Wet anything looks
different than dry anything.
Generally the colors deepen slightly and contrast seems to increase somewhat
in my experience.
In fact I always wait several hours before judging 960 prints because I know
the overall appearance of the print will change, usually for the better.
If you are not using Canon OEM inks then you have only yourself to blame.
You lose money in the long run if you buy cheap ink that does not yield good
results.
I use the 960 as a backup to my main printer, an Epson 1280, as it is faster
and more useful for smaller prints, generally 4x6.
In my experience the lower cost Epson glossy paper prints as well or better
than either of Canon's two glossy papers, and is much less expensive.
You may be experiencing problems with the way you are using the Canon
printer driver settings: the printer drivers for the 960 are just not very
good if you are trying to use Adobe type color management.
If you are following Canon's arcane procedures, there are two methods, for
color management with this printer you will tend to get poor color matches
and prints that lack contrast and saturation.

In my experience the best way to print with this machine, via Photoshop, is
to turn off color management when you print and use the straight settings
for printer managed color with your type of paper finish (glossy, matte,
whatever) and no other tweaks in the driver setting.
December 20, 2004 7:40:09 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:48:35 -0500, "baileyjr@adelphia.net"
<baileyjr@adelphia.net> wrote:

>I have been trying to get good results printing with my canon i960. Any
>place the picture has black or nearly black the color changes in one day
>to be a redish brown rather than black. All other colors look good. I am
>using Epson glossy photo paper and have tried various settings for the
>paper selection for the printer. Is this likely an ink or paper problem?

I have a Canon i950, which may be similar in features, etc. to the
i960. On occasions I've noticed with it that where there is a sharp
boundary between a black area and a much lighter area, the black will
show a reddish coloration. However, it doesn't have to wait for a day
to appear - it may appear very quickly. After encountering this only
occasionally, and trying to analyze what causes it - I finally figured
it out. It only happened with one particular type of paper, an Office
Depot matte type, called "Premium Matte Presentation Paper". Never on
cheap plain paper when used for proofs, and never on good quality
glossy photo paper. Just my observations.

Olin McDaniel
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 7:40:10 AM

In article <41c65655.47610576@news.east.earthlink.net>,
omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin K. McDaniel) wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:48:35 -0500, "baileyjr@adelphia.net"
> <baileyjr@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >I have been trying to get good results printing with my canon i960. Any
> >place the picture has black or nearly black the color changes in one day
> >to be a redish brown rather than black. All other colors look good. I am
> >using Epson glossy photo paper and have tried various settings for the
> >paper selection for the printer. Is this likely an ink or paper problem?
>

> I have a Canon i950, which may be similar in features, etc. to the
> i960. On occasions I've noticed with it that where there is a sharp
> boundary between a black area and a much lighter area, the black will
> show a reddish coloration. However, it doesn't have to wait for a day
> to appear - it may appear very quickly. After encountering this only
> occasionally, and trying to analyze what causes it - I finally figured
> it out. It only happened with one particular type of paper, an Office
> Depot matte type, called "Premium Matte Presentation Paper". Never on
> cheap plain paper when used for proofs, and never on good quality
> glossy photo paper. Just my observations.
>
> Olin McDaniel

With my i960, I've had excellent results with Canon glossy, Hammermill
JetPrint (glossy and double-sided matte), and Epson enhanced matte
(though the colors tend to print colder on the EEM). The first photos I
printed on the i960 have been on my bulletin board (unframed, unmatted)
for almost a year, and they still look good, except the one 8x10--large
expanses of black seem to be mottling a bit with red tones. I would
imagine that if it had been framed under glass and matted, it might not
have faded.
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 4:18:51 PM

nosredna wrote:
> In article <41c65655.47610576@news.east.earthlink.net>,
> omcdaniel.abcd@mindspring.com (Olin K. McDaniel) wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:48:35 -0500, "baileyjr@adelphia.net"
>><baileyjr@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>

>>>I have been trying to get good results printing with my canon i960. Any
>>>place the picture has black or nearly black the color changes in one day
>>>to be a redish brown rather than black. All other colors look good. I am
>>>using Epson glossy photo paper and have tried various settings for the
>>>paper selection for the printer. Is this likely an ink or paper problem?
>>

>>I have a Canon i950, which may be similar in features, etc. to the
>>i960. On occasions I've noticed with it that where there is a sharp
>>boundary between a black area and a much lighter area, the black will
>>show a reddish coloration. However, it doesn't have to wait for a day
>>to appear - it may appear very quickly. After encountering this only
>>occasionally, and trying to analyze what causes it - I finally figured
>>it out. It only happened with one particular type of paper, an Office
>>Depot matte type, called "Premium Matte Presentation Paper". Never on
>>cheap plain paper when used for proofs, and never on good quality
>>glossy photo paper. Just my observations.
>>
>>Olin McDaniel
>>

> With my i960, I've had excellent results with Canon glossy, Hammermill
> JetPrint (glossy and double-sided matte), and Epson enhanced matte
> (though the colors tend to print colder on the EEM). The first photos I
> printed on the i960 have been on my bulletin board (unframed, unmatted)
> for almost a year, and they still look good, except the one 8x10--large
> expanses of black seem to be mottling a bit with red tones. I would
> imagine that if it had been framed under glass and matted, it might not
> have faded.
I appreciate the suggested causes to my concerns. In following up I find
that there is no problem with Canon photo paper pro, and surprisingly
with plain paper. I have not found a way to make the epson paper work,
but will forget using it. I have read of good results with Ilford
Galerie and will try that.
!