Random BSOD on cold boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickasslo

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hello, first time writing here. Because i know you are all pros in here i was wondering if you can help me with my problem. I builded alot of computers and never have i had crazy problem like this. Im keep getting random BSOD crashes on my new home build setup when i start it up after computer was turned off for more then 3 hours. If it stays turned on it does not crash, and it also does not crash if it is rebooted soon after it was turned off or restarted because of the BSOD.

The random BSOD are from memory_management to page_fault_in_nonpaged_area and even blank ones with only stop code like 0x00000024 or 0x0000001E and stuff. First thing i did was pulling all my rams out, using only one for next boot. Same thing happened with both rams i have, even in different slots. MemTest86+ shows that everything is ok even after 20 cycles. PassMark BurnInTest shows everything passes after 15 minutes of 100% load on everything with 0 errors. Tried changing voltage for ram for a bit (to 1.56v) also did not help.

My computer specs are:

Gigabyte 1155 GA-PH67A-UD3-B3 motherboard
Intel® Core™ i5-2500 Processor (6M Cache, 3.30 GHz)
2xKingston KVR1333D3N9/2G ram
Gigabyte Geforce GTX 460 SE 1GB
LC Power 650W power supply
Samsung 1TB HDD
Windows 7 with SP1

Other stuff is not important i think since i dont have them connected anyways till this is fixed. Also a link to few dmp files if it can help identify problem: Dmp Files

If anyone knows anything how to fix this or what is causing the problem please let me know. And let me know if you need any other info on this. Also sorry for my bad English :)

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
What EXACTLY is happening. You say on cold boot, but what do you mean. Do you mean you turn your pc on, and when windows loads up it BSOD's? And you also say this doesn't happen at all if you're pc doesn't do this right away? Because that means it's not a hardware issue, it's windows. Have you done a windows update yet?

kickasslo

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
It means that pc was turned off for more than 2 or 3 hours and when it boots it randomly crashes sometimes as soon as it gets to the windows loading, sometimes when it is in windows or just in the middle of loading. If it gets pass the BSOD it will not happen, it even wont happen when i restart the pc after BSOD. Because when it gets to working temperature everything is doing fine. Windows is upgraded to the latest updates. And i dont think it is Windows issue, because if it was it would probably crash all the time and not just when it was turned off for some time. So i didn't reinstall them. But i guess doing that wont hurt. Im gonna post results once it is finished.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Hmm well if you're pc only does that when it's cold (from disuse) then that's probably you're power supply...i'm not exactly sure but i'd like to help because you're problem seems like it has simple solution haha

kickasslo

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Well I reinstalled and had few troubles installing windows, got error 0x80070570 saying the dvd is not good. Changed my dvd drive, crashed with error 0xC0000005 and BSOD saying page_fault_in_nonpage_area 0x0000050.

After restart it installed with no problems. So i turned pc off for 3 hours started it up again, got BSOD when in Windows for about a minute saying memory_management. So yeah thats about it no drivers installed no nothing random BSOD as always.

I measured the voltage coming from power supply to hdd or dvd, gives a constant of 5,22V-5,24V from boot till windows so i would say it is good. Dont have another that powerfull to test it or anything like that. Also in bios everything seems in order with voltage.

So yeah i kinda dont think solution is that simple.

coreydmorton

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Awe man... i'm actually at a loss haha i have no idea what the problem is now....hmmm maybe someone else on the forum can help :p

kickasslo

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Bumping this one if anyone knows and can help me. So I upgraded BIOS now and still no luck. Got answer from Gigabyte saying I should probably try installing in RAM that was tested on this board and works. Gonna be hard to get another tho, have to borrow it from somewhere I guess. Still need help with this one if anyone knows whats causing the problem...

kev13579

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011

just wondering if you ever found a solution? i am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy

TechnicEclipse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Sup guys, ive actually been recently having this problem, after left off for about 2 or 3 hours it would BSOD upon startup.

Now i havent really figured out what is going on, but its sort of ironic that 2 of my USB ports have Died on my Motherboard recently.

i Diagnosed the problem and couldnt figure it out... all i could figure out was that it had to be a MB problem.

Because of this i have a new MB on it way. and will send you a reply on whether it fixes the BSOD problem also :)

sosokruashvili

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013

Did it fix?

knk2006

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
i'm having exact same problem except that my build is 1 year old.

I recently updated my bios and i don't know if this is gonna work but reading the OP comments i guess it won't.

did you guys find a solution for that ? i ran diagnostic memory tools without a problem.. i guess it's the small battery thing it motherboard maybe it's dying out. I hope it doesn't though..

1 more thing, start up repair seems to fix the issue and windows boot normally back again.

airinato

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
Bump this up again, I've been having this same problem from my build for 5 years since I built it. I was moving shortly after i built the computer and had to leave it behind for about a year and was unable to troubleshoot or try and exchange components within the return window. I have replaced everything over the years except the case, processor and motherboard. Only thing I see in common with OP and a prime suspect is the Gigabyte motherboard, which I will never be buying again just for the fact their last BIOS release for my board to enable 6-core processors is still only listed as a beta bios 5 years later.

If youre getting 0x24 stop errors, this is file corruption.

The files on the hdd are corrupt and crashing the system. It can also mean the hdd is failing. And may have to be replaced

WildPony

Reputable
Oct 5, 2014
I am also having this problem. Someone found a solution yet? I am thinking it is the mother board since my USB ports have been failing and when I start my computer, sometimes my keyboard and mouse wont turn on.

Sure, look for a thermal crack in a trace on a circuit some where in the system. Last time I actually found one it was on a RAM board under a heat spreader. When the system was cold, the leg of the chip would contract off the pad because of the brittle lead free solder that was used and the connection would be broken, then about 10 or 15 seconds after they system was turned on, the chip would heat up, the leg would expand and would make contact with the circuit and all would be well. Only problem was it was a address line to the RAM and windows would load the kernel and the address line would later connect and the block of memory would move its physical address. What ever driver was loaded would then crash when it was used.

You can help detect this problem if you boot your machine into BIOS for a minute or two and allow the machine to warm up. Then you reboot your machine into windows. Very hard to actually find the broken circuit unless the problem is on the RAM or you can inspect all the circuits with stereo scope.

the problem started to become more common about 6 years ago when manufactures started to use lead free solder. the new solder is more brittle and pops off the circuit traces with repeated heat/cooling cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.