Slow USB 3.0 Speed

Tags:
  • USB3
  • Motherboards
  • External Hard Drive
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
September 6, 2012 3:56:43 AM

I'm not exactly sure where this goes, so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I recently got an external hard drive that supports USB 3.0. I have USB 3.0 Ports and an eSATA port on my laptop. Its a Dell XPS L702x. I have a Dell 0XN71K motherboard (I think), Intel i7 2760QM CPU and I have the latest drivers for the USB 3.0 Ports.

The transfer rate is still pretty slow. Do I not have a compatible motherboard or hard drive? Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

More about : slow usb speed

September 6, 2012 4:09:20 AM

sybreal said:
I'm not exactly sure where this goes, so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I recently got an external hard drive that supports USB 3.0. I have USB 3.0 Ports and an eSATA port on my laptop. Its a Dell XPS L702x. I have a Dell 0XN71K motherboard (I think), Intel i7 2760QM CPU and I have the latest drivers for the USB 3.0 Ports.

The transfer rate is still pretty slow. Do I not have a compatible motherboard or hard drive? Is there any way I can fix this?

Thanks in advance.

I think you might be bottlenecked by your External Hard drive's speed, that's unless you are using a USB 2.0 cable.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3-uas-turbo,3215-3.html
From the above article
As we know, USB 3.0 rectifies our bottleneck issue. When we drop in [b said:
a hard drive, sequential reads top out around ~128 MB/s—and Turbo mode has no effect. The hard drive simply isn't fast enough to push third-gen USB, so even when enable higher transfer speeds, the mechanical disk is still what's slowing us down.]As we know, USB 3.0 rectifies our bottleneck issue. When we drop in a hard drive, sequential reads top out around ~128 MB/s—and Turbo mode has no effect. The hard drive simply isn't fast enough to push third-gen USB, so even when enable higher transfer speeds, the mechanical disk is still what's slowing us down.
[/b]
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:18:40 AM

I'm not very good with hardware. Mostly a software guy. I have the
Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000100 (Black)

Not sure if that would help.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 6, 2012 5:13:22 AM

sybreal said:
I'm not very good with hardware. Mostly a software guy. I have the
Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000100 (Black)

Not sure if that would help.

Could you give us some data on exactly how slow is the transfer? You can get the exact MB/s transfer rate by clicking more details on the progress bar.
m
l
September 6, 2012 5:32:14 AM

I think I fixed it. A 5Gb file transfered at 70-80 Mbps. Is that the normal speed for a USB 3.0?

Earlier it was going at 30-40 Mbps
m
l
September 6, 2012 6:12:53 AM

My USB 3.0 5400 RPM hard drive copies large files at around 60MB/s on Intel USB3 controller. http://www.station-drivers.com/page/drivers.htm
Good place to hunt for latest drivers. Sometimes you can also update the USB 3.0 controller firmware (like NEC), but that comes with a risk.
m
l
September 6, 2012 6:20:32 AM

sybreal said:
I think I fixed it. A 5Gb file transfered at 70-80 Mbps. Is that the normal speed for a USB 3.0?

Earlier it was going at 30-40 Mbps

That seemed right:

From Tom's review of 3 USB3.0 HDDs:

m
l
March 20, 2013 1:52:58 AM

I have the same harddisk
seagate portable plus 1tb
transfer speed don't exceed 50 mbps
@sybreal you said you solved the problem .. what have you done to increase the transfer speed?
m
l
October 5, 2013 9:33:07 PM

nvm.
m
l
October 8, 2013 8:17:37 AM

never mind? what do you mean?
m
l