Which z68 motherboard will be the best for long-term OC durability?

Which z68 motherboard will be the best for long-term overclocking durability?

• Asus P8Z68-V Pro

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Asrock Z68 Extreme4

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • EVGA ???

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4H-B3

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Intel DZ68DB

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Intel DZ68BC

• MSI Z68A-GD80

• Saphire PI-CI7S33Z68 (tentative name)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

markmywords

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Motherboards with the Z68 chipset are to be released in a month. I'd like to start some kind of a resource where we can keep track of the manufacturers and features.

This is probably not the best format but a discussion thread might get unruly, so I thought to make this poll first, then the discussion.

Here's a question to start:
Which z68 motherboard will be the best for long-term overclocking durability?

markmywords

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Looks like the Asus P8Z68-V Pro is getting some early interest from the voters. I'm likely looking at that one too. It has 12+4 digitally-controlled phases, which appears important here, in part. The Asrock Z68 Extreme4 is enticing, and I would probably get an Asrock Z68 Extreme6 over an Asus P8Z68-V Pro were it available at launch, but that's not looking to be the case.

I've come across this really nice spreadsheet guide to the P67 boards: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AoXai57oo6AGdGRrbG1feUNZODVGNmluTF9ZMHlDR0E&w=245&h=910
The Z68s that are the P67's counterparts look to be very similar and even slightly better.

Based on that and this 5 P67 board review and OC comparison, http://www.techspot.com/review/380-intel-p67-motherboard-roundup/page23.html, I'm thinking Asus has the goods for durability (a generous # of phases and digital electricity delivery monitoring/control) and overclockability. An Asus Z68 Deluxe board would likely be amazing, as well, but I haven't seen anything on the internet about it yet, and it's 1 week to the Z68 launch.

A word on Gigabyte's boards, their Z68s appear to be out in Asia already, but lacking on-board video ports and losing the P67 OC comparison with their flagship board to a mid-high Asus board, their high phase count appears underwhelming. Maybe the actual components aren't as good as what Asus uses, and/or is it the DIGI VRM that's got Asus the edge?

markmywords

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
The first Z68 boards are coming out in days time, and I've been checking out the reviews of the P67 Asus boards on Newegg - they're getting low ratings, something about booting and power state errors. A quarter of the ratings for the regular and pro P8P67 are 1 star. The deluxe seems to enjoy much higher ratings; I'm not sure what the difference could be. The poor reviews seem to be new, as well, so I'm not sure if it's even pre-B3- or BIOS- related. The P8Z68 Deluxe is as of recently slated to be among the first Z68 boards out so it might be a good way to go.

The Asrock P67 Extreme4 has high ratings as well and is in a lower price category than the Asus deluxe, so I'm thinking of going with the Asrock Z68 Extreme4 based on that.

Any suggestions?

Here's some more info:
The Asus P8Z68 series is a bit different from the P8P67 series in terms of power delivery. The prospect of a P8Z68 Deluxe was exciting. On paper, I don't see a reason to go above a P8Z68-V Pro (same 12+4 phase power for all 3 Z68 boards; up from the P8P67 Pro's 12+2 to the P8Z68-V Pro's 12+4, down from the P8P67 Deluxe's 16+2 to the P8Z68 Deluxe's 12+4). The Deluxe may even be losing the onboard ports (if that's what Virtu in d-Mode only means). However, considering the newegg reliability ratings of the P67 boards, the Deluxe may be worth it if the trend persists.
asus_z68.png.png

ASUSP8P67SPECTABLE.jpg

Asus may launch 2 more higher-end boards at the end of the month (Maximus IV Extreme-Z and Maximus IV Gene-Z).