Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Question about SATA Cards

Last response: in Components
September 5, 2010 8:56:47 PM

okay, so I'm going to start building a small rig to utlize my 6 SSD's properly but I figure I will get 2 more and stripe all 8 together.
But for onboard that would not allow me to use a DVD drive for it.

Could I buy a SATA II PCI add on, and put my DVD player there.
And then would I be allowed to boot from the DVD player off of there, to install windows 7?

Like instead of the DVD player being read from the MOBO, it being read from the SATA PCI card.
Is that possible?

Or would it be pointless for me to buy two more SSD's?

More about : question sata cards

September 5, 2010 9:11:06 PM

How/Why/What do you have 6 SSDs for?

Technically, if you really want to, a PCI SATA card is perfectly fine for a DVD drive. Or you could just use a USB drive.

But it is pointless to buy 2 more SSDs regardless.
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:17:32 PM

well I plan on using all 8 SATA 6g on the mobo if I buy the board.

XD
I'm a speed freak.
m
l
Related resources
September 5, 2010 9:26:49 PM

What Mobo do you have? 890FX? Unless you use the Crucial SATA 6Gbs Drives, you'll need to disable SATA3 for optimal performance.

Note running SSDs in RAID requires you to image then wipe the whole array every couple months as you don't have TRIM support.
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:43:20 PM

I was thinking of getting the 890FX.
I'm using the double pack 30 gig SSD's from Kingston.
I got 6 thinking about going 8 to get 1024mb's.

Right now its a GA-EP45T-USB3P but there running thru SATA II's.
m
l
September 5, 2010 10:26:41 PM

For a few reasons.
1. The price of that.
2. I already got a sustained 720mb write speed from 6 Kingston V-Series SSD's.
and its stable.
3. The cost for the SSD's I got two packs when they were on sale for about 100, and 1 more for 180 so I did it for about $480.

:3
m
l

Best solution

September 5, 2010 10:35:25 PM

TheWhiteRose000 said:
okay, so I'm going to start building a small rig to utlize my 6 SSD's properly but I figure I will get 2 more and stripe all 8 together.
But for onboard that would not allow me to use a DVD drive for it.

Could I buy a SATA II PCI add on, and put my DVD player there.
And then would I be allowed to boot from the DVD player off of there, to install windows 7?

Like instead of the DVD player being read from the MOBO, it being read from the SATA PCI card.
Is that possible?

Or would it be pointless for me to buy two more SSD's?

You would need a floppy drive to be able to install the drivers for the SATA card before you tried to install windows.
September 5, 2010 10:39:09 PM

Mousemonkey said:
You would need a floppy drive to be able to install the drivers for the SATA card before you tried to install windows.

And then with the Sata card installed I should be able to use the DVD drive if I attached it to it?
If I found a PnP one wouldn't it automatically detect everything on it and the card itself?
m
l
September 5, 2010 10:49:05 PM

TheWhiteRose000 said:
And then with the Sata card installed I should be able to use the DVD drive if I attached it to it?
If I found a PnP one wouldn't it automatically detect everything on it and the card itself?

I've not had success with trying to get a machine to boot from a SATA card even with a floppy that had the cards drivers on it so good luck in trying to find a PnP one.
m
l
September 6, 2010 12:06:06 AM

TheWhiteRose000 said:
Hurray for newegg?

Do they have a SATA card that is PnP? All the ones I've used have required drivers.
m
l
September 6, 2010 12:29:31 AM

yea, under sata controllers.
Its drive descriptions they say Pnp.

:D 
m
l
September 6, 2010 12:30:50 AM

TheWhiteRose000 said:
yea, under sata controllers.
Its drive descriptions they say Pnp.

:D 

Well I hope they work for you.
m
l
July 22, 2012 7:28:45 AM

Best answer selected by TheWhiteRose000.
m
l
!