TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
okay, so I'm going to start building a small rig to utlize my 6 SSD's properly but I figure I will get 2 more and stripe all 8 together.
But for onboard that would not allow me to use a DVD drive for it.

Could I buy a SATA II PCI add on, and put my DVD player there.
And then would I be allowed to boot from the DVD player off of there, to install windows 7?

Like instead of the DVD player being read from the MOBO, it being read from the SATA PCI card.
Is that possible?

Or would it be pointless for me to buy two more SSD's?

Solution

You would need a floppy drive to be able to install the drivers for the SATA card before you tried to install windows.

Timop

Distinguished
How/Why/What do you have 6 SSDs for?

Technically, if you really want to, a PCI SATA card is perfectly fine for a DVD drive. Or you could just use a USB drive.

But it is pointless to buy 2 more SSDs regardless.

Timop

Distinguished
What Mobo do you have? 890FX? Unless you use the Crucial SATA 6Gbs Drives, you'll need to disable SATA3 for optimal performance.

Note running SSDs in RAID requires you to image then wipe the whole array every couple months as you don't have TRIM support.

You would need a floppy drive to be able to install the drivers for the SATA card before you tried to install windows.

Solution

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished

And then with the Sata card installed I should be able to use the DVD drive if I attached it to it?
If I found a PnP one wouldn't it automatically detect everything on it and the card itself?

I've not had success with trying to get a machine to boot from a SATA card even with a floppy that had the cards drivers on it so good luck in trying to find a PnP one.

TRENDING THREADS