$2000+ gaming rig first time build need advice

prolymphocyte

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010
Hi again I have redone my previous post to the correct template. Just so you know I have never build a computer before so I am pretty excited about this. Nothing here is set in stone so please feel free to add/remove things as you wish:)

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The end of this month

BUDGET RANGE: $2300 CAD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: mostly gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: dvd drive, mouse keyboard, monitor, I also have windows 64 bit

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Canada computers, tigerdirect.ca, newegg.ca

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Toronto, Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use Intel I7 and the 930 quad core and preferably a USB 3 mobo.
OVERCLOCKING: Yes i plan to oc to 4.0 ghz and crossfire the 5970 down the line

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 I have a 46 “ Samsung lnb 750 lcd monitor which I plan on using to game on.

(ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Will the selected motherboard be easy to OC and would it take another 5970? Here is what I got

Computer build

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower
Cpu: Intel Core i7 930 Quad-Core Socket cooled with Cooler Master Hyper Z600
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 1600MHz 8 gb 12800CL9D-8GBRL
Graphics: hd 5970 sapphire or xfx black edition (worth the cash?)
Power Supply corsair 850 W
Hard Drive: WD caviar green 1 TB will plan to add SSD in the future.

Cheers and thanks for the input

tecmo34

Administrator
You are missing some information...

Please read through this thread and edit your original post with the template provided.

How To Ask For New Build Advice

You are on the right track though....
■Drop the WD 640 and pick up the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB instead
■Don't forget about a heat sink, such as the Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283V
■The rest, we really need to know all the information provided in the template.

banthracis

Distinguished
Swap case to a HAF 922. Same thing basically, and you save lots of money.

Swap HSF to a CM Hyper 212 Plus instead. $30 on NCIX
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-GP&manufacture=COOLERMASTER

Swap RAM to G SKill Pi 1600 CAs 7 kit.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231335&cm_re=pi_6gb-_-20-231-335-_-Product

Just get a GA 5970 $720 on NCIX
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=46615&vpn=GV-R597D5-2GD-B&manufacture=Gigabyte

swap HD to a spinpoint F3 1tb
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185&Tpk=f3%201tb

Rest is fine.

You should get a new optical though if yours isn't SATA.

karma831

Distinguished
May 7, 2010
Bad choice ram (i7 930 but no triple channel?!), HD, and HSF,

I like the list banthracis posted above other than the HSF. Your budget is huge so I'd probably go for higher end air coolers like Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler or maybe prebuilt water cooling like Corsair h50/Coolit Eco.

jibibull

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I will tell you what to do from my experience .First you must NEVER and i repeat NEVER buy i pre-build pc from a company.Of course i do not know if the rig you mention is a pre-build one , but if it is dont buy it .Always build your pc by spare parts yourself it is not difficult and you will get better hardware.You should always have in mind that the most important part is the graphics card.Now if you are rich buy one of the top and 5970 is one of the top , but have in mind that you do not really need a top of the line card to play games at maximum settings.So a 5850 or gtx 470 are also great cards which will cost you less money and with them you will enjoy every single game.Do not forget that even if you buy the 5970 now,in a perion of 1-1,5 year there will be now cards which will cost half the price of todays 5970 price and those cards will be faster than 5970.So a good choice,always in my opinion is to buy a 5850 or gtx 470 now ,save the extra money from buying the 5970 and in 2 years time buy a new card .In pc gaming you have to buy hardware in a clever way, because hardware gets outdated soon .You dont have to give a fortune for pc gaming just buy smart.As far as the other parts they are ok and for the cpu never spend more than 200-230 dollars, i do not know about can dollars cause i leave in europe but 200-230 euros is a very good price for cpu, i guess it is the same as can dollars.Hope ive helped.

cygone

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Gotta agree with Jibibull, PC gaming is expensive, but buying right and smart is the best way to save $1000 of dollers, never buy the fastest GPUs, (SLI and CF, give better performance and cheaper).

Upgrade GPUs ~12months.
Upgrade MB/RAM/CPU~36months. (this is the expensive part)
Buy a High Rated, decent build, named PSU and it will last for 5 years atleast.