System configuration utility

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

hello,

I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in the msconfig
tab called startup

The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them how do I remove
them from appearing in the?

Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?

Thanks,

l
5 answers Last reply
More about system configuration utility
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Same answer as in microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain

    go here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

    Read instructions at the top.
    Scroll down to:
    148. Right hand side.
    Click on:
    Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup

    Clean-up the MSCONFIG startup tab listings - Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm

    Disabled items are in >>>

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg


    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:EA9633EB-FD52-4456-9198-063AD752003A@microsoft.com,
    Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > hello,
    >
    > I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in the
    > msconfig tab called startup
    >
    > The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them how do I
    > remove them from appearing in the?
    >
    > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > l

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FB2861AC-D52D-4CDD-963F-91F097A32BD8@microsoft.com,
    Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > hello,
    >
    > I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in the
    > msconfig tab called startup
    >
    > The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them how do I
    > remove them from appearing in the?
    >
    > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > l
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You will need to edit the registry in order to remove those
    entries. I'd suggest you backup your registry first.

    Go to Start -> Run and enter regedit in the Open box and click
    OK.
    Navigate to these keys:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

    In the right hand pane of each key right click on the value you
    want to remove and select delete.

    --
    Nepatsfan
    "Lear" <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:FB2861AC-D52D-4CDD-963F-91F097A32BD8@microsoft.com...
    > hello,
    >
    > I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in
    > the msconfig
    > tab called startup
    >
    > The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them
    > how do I remove
    > them from appearing in the?
    >
    > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > l
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    hello,

    almost there i still have a AOL 7.0 file
    command C:\PROGRA~1\AMERIC~1.0\aoltray.exe-check

    i uninstalled AOL and did a search for any files and its not in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    or startupfolder

    thanks


    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Same answer as in microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain
    >
    > go here:
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >
    > Read instructions at the top.
    > Scroll down to:
    > 148. Right hand side.
    > Click on:
    > Clear Disabled Items from Msconfig Startup
    >
    > Clean-up the MSCONFIG startup tab listings - Windows XP
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSCONFIG.htm
    >
    > Disabled items are in >>>
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupfolder
    > and
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    >
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:EA9633EB-FD52-4456-9198-063AD752003A@microsoft.com,
    > Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in the
    > > msconfig tab called startup
    > >
    > > The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them how do I
    > > remove them from appearing in the?
    > >
    > > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > l
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:FB2861AC-D52D-4CDD-963F-91F097A32BD8@microsoft.com,
    > Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > I have lots of application unchecked but I don’t want them in the
    > > msconfig tab called startup
    > >
    > > The programs are no longer on my computer I uninstalled them how do I
    > > remove them from appearing in the?
    > >
    > > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > l
    >
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:15:02 -0800, Lear wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > almost there i still have a AOL 7.0 file
    > command C:\PROGRA~1\AMERIC~1.0\aoltray.exe-check
    >
    > i uninstalled AOL and did a search for any files and its not in the
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    > Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    > or startupfolder
    >
    > thanks
    >
    >

    Look in the "Startup" folder on the Start Menu for an aoltray shortcut.
    Delete if found.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    no...not so easy

    anybody other suggestions??

    thanks

    "Sharon F" wrote:

    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:15:02 -0800, Lear wrote:
    >
    > > hello,
    > >
    > > almost there i still have a AOL 7.0 file
    > > command C:\PROGRA~1\AMERIC~1.0\aoltray.exe-check
    > >
    > > i uninstalled AOL and did a search for any files and its not in the
    > > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared
    > > Tools\MSConfig\startupreg
    > > or startupfolder
    > >
    > > thanks
    > >
    > >
    >
    > Look in the "Startup" folder on the Start Menu for an aoltray shortcut.
    > Delete if found.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
    > In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP