Closed

Dell dimension 9200 power supply problems

hi! I bought a dell dimension 9200 with a graphic card NVIDIA 880 GTX. As per the fabricant, this card requires a minimum of 450 watts to properly function. however, the kit came with a 375 watts power supply only! Could this affect the functioning of my pc and could this be the reason my graphic card let me down after only 3 years? It was replaced at nocharge but i`m afraid it happens again?? How big should a new power supply be for my pc?
pleas someone help!
5 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 9200 power supply problems
  1. Hello vlxvcalq;
    It's true the 8800GTX has a 450W PSU minimum recommendation.
    The full recommendation is for a Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amps.
    The 450W part of the recommendation is to get that +12V 28Amps and it covers everything from a lightly loaded system to one more heavily equipped.
    It's certainly possible for a good 375W with a strong +12V rail and not loaded up with extra HDDs, case fans, etc, to adequately power a 8800GTX video card.

It's true that PSUs 'age' over time and loose the ability to output it's full rated power.
    If you want a good deal on a PSU with enough power: Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W
    $45 before a $10 rebate. And a $5 off promo code till Sept 8th. Also free shipping.
    That could take your final cost down to $30 for a strong 400W CPU with 30Amps of +12V power.
  2. HMMM. Think this is good enough to be the replacement for the now gone Corsair 400CX?
  3. Looking that way to me at the moment. It would be nice to have a couple good reviews to confirm it's as good as I think it might be.
    Right now it's only the Antec reputation, the fact that it's a Seasonic built unit plus that excellent price is all there is to bolster a recommendation that this is a really quality PSU.
    Also waiting for reviews of that Corsair 430CX (CWT OEM), but it's 2 year warranty, 28Amp +12V rail and higher price makes it hard to suggest ATM with the Antec Neo Eco @ $30 a/r.
  4. I have a Dell Dimension 9200 myself.
    Love it, flexible, upgradeable, inexpensive & very capable PCs.
    Dell sold the Dimension 9200 from new with the option for a 8800GTX card so the PSU is perfectly capable of handling that card.

My own one runs a Q6700 quad Intel CPU, 4gb of RAM (2 x 2gb sticks), an Nvidia 9800GT graphics card, 2 x 1tb Western Digital HDDs, 2 x DVD burners, a Soundblaster Audigy SE card, a floppy drive unit & a card reader.
    All on that standard 375wt Dell PSU.

The thing about Dell PSUs is that they measure the output honestly.
    Lots of other manufacturers have a habit of quoting a briefly held peak output as if it is the rock solid dependable sustained 100% maximum.
    It often is not.
    Briefly held peaks just exaggerate the specs for the spec-sheet number obsessed.
    So graphics card makers, so as not to end up with loads of angry ex-customers, usually tend to err on the side of caution and quote required specs & numbers which make the Dell look as if it doesn't stand a chance of meeting.
    But they often do.

I reckon my own is pretty much maxed out & I want to dump the floppy unit which I never use & replace it with another 1tb HDD & I'd like a much more up to date graphics card (the Nvidia 460GTX looks great value right now).
    My solution?
    Another Dell PSU.
    750wt this time.
    It'll keep me going for quite a while yet I reckon.

Your original card could have failed for any number of reasons but a weak PSU is not the most likely cause
    (you'd get all sorts of obvious PSU-related problems before that - things like sudden & repeatedly rebooting being the obvious symptom & parts of your rig operating but not others, fans slow or failing to operate).

I'd just add that you haven't mentioned the rest of your spec but I guess if things were added that were not initial standard fit & your PC was running a couple of hard drives & a high spec CPU it might be pushing things but I'd certainly expect the usual PSU problems to be apparent than just having things work normally and then experiencing a graphics failure after 3yrs.
  5. DaveBG said:
    I have a Dell Dimension 9200 myself.

Too much in there, didn't want to waste the space quoting it all.
    A few months late, but nicely done.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Dimension Dell Components Product