Sign in with
Your question

Possible motherboard failure

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Power Supplies
Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2011 11:46:15 AM

I have an Asus M3N78 PRO motherboard. I had an Ultra ATX 600Watt Power Supply. I was playing an online game and I heard a very loud popping noise and my pc shut off. I smelled a nasty smell from the power supply. I concluded the power supply had died so I replaced it with a brand new Thermaltake 600W power supply which was the same wattage as the old supply. The computer powered back on and all was good. But the computer shut itself back off after about 30 mins and now will not power back on although the power light on the motherboard is lit. Any suggestions on what to do next?

More about : motherboard failure

a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2011 1:12:54 PM

The "pop" you heard, followed by the subsequent smell, was a capacitor failing. This may have produced a voltage spike, which could have damaged any or all of the motherboard and it's attached components.
Sorry.
m
l
April 10, 2011 3:53:51 PM

dreamer1959 sorry to hear about your misfortune i was curious were you overclocked at the time of the failure ?
if so what were your clocks and voltages?
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 8:10:43 PM

grahamie said:
dreamer1959 sorry to hear about your misfortune i was curious were you overclocked at the time of the failure ?
if so what were your clocks and voltages?

No not overclocked
m
l
April 10, 2011 8:12:00 PM

Noworldorder said:
The "pop" you heard, followed by the subsequent smell, was a capacitor failing. This may have produced a voltage spike, which could have damaged any or all of the motherboard and it's attached components.
Sorry.

If that was the case then why did it run fine for 30 mins or so after a new power supply was installed?
m
l
April 10, 2011 8:56:19 PM

Maybe the blown supply did the damage and it took a bit for the new supply to pop the damaged part
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 10, 2011 11:27:49 PM

dreamer1959 said:
If that was the case then why did it run fine for 30 mins or so after a new power supply was installed?

If a electrical part is weakened, applying full power to it again will shortly cause it's demise.
m
l
!