Biostar's HD 5850

noc

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Pardon my inexperience, this is my first post here.

I just set up a new rig with an i7 930, 6gb 1600 ddr3 ram, and gigabyte's GA-X58A-UD3R mobo. I'm running windows 7 64bit, and the problem is that after installing the ATI graphics drivers, bootup takes approximately 3-4 minutes. Shut down sometimes takes about 1-2 minutes.

At first I didn't believe that it would be the graphics drivers. Since this is a fresh install, my only guess was to uninstall the driver I just installed -- the gpu drivers. To my surprise, bootup was back to normal.

I've tried catalyst 10.2, 10.4, and 10.5 packages and they've all given me the same results. I'm not sure whether the problem is the GPU or the mobo. I've tried swapping the GPU into the other PCI slots on the mobo, and the results were the same.

What I'm thinking of doing next is waiting for my friends to be available so that I can try their GPU's on my mobo, and vice versa. What do you guys think?

virrze

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Boot-up has nothing to do with anything else... except the HDD, more RPMS = faster bootup time. Maybe, just maybe, your HDD has only 3k RPM or 5k, which results in slow boot up times.

noc

Distinguished
May 30, 2010

At first I used a WD Caviar Black 7200 RPM drive. Turned out slow, and I thought maybe it was a faulty drive. I swapped it with my brother's working 250 GB 7200 RPM Seagate barracuda. Same problem.

noc

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I would also like to add that before I realized the slow bootup problem, I installed Battlefield 2 and played it for a bit. The card was doing it's job perfectly fine.

The one and only issue i'm getting is the slow boot up and shut down. Could this possibly be a motherboard issue?