Hello,

Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide inactive
icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)

I have a list of current items and a list of past items
My question is as follows:
Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer installed in
the computer how do I go about removing them?

Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t figure it out
but that doesn’t say much I don’t know much and you guys never stop amazing
me.

Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?

Thanks,

For an automated edit, go here...

Read the instructions at the top.
Scroll down to and click on...
53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area

Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following
registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
ify

How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283084

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:DF9964B2-93F9-40DD-AF91-88A0C69FA33F@microsoft.com,
Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283084

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Lear" <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
> properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide inactive
> icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)
>
> I have a list of current items and a list of past items
> My question is as follows:
> Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer installed
> in
> the computer how do I go about removing them?
>
> Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t figure it
> out
> but that doesn’t say much I don’t know much and you guys never stop
> amazing
> me.
>
> Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Ramesh. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%238gbfnDLFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
> Clear Past Items from the Notification Area
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283084
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Lear" <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
>> properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide
>> inactive icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)
>>
>> I have a list of current items and a list of past items
>> My question is as follows:
>> Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer
>> installed in
>> the computer how do I go about removing them?
>>
>> Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t
>> figure it out
>> but that doesn’t say much I don’t know much and you guys never
>> stop amazing
>> me.
>>
>> Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
>>
>> Thanks,

Hi Wes :)

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Hi Ramesh. :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%238gbfnDLFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> Ramesh, MS-MVP <ramesh@online.mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Clear Past Items from the Notification Area
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283084
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Lear" <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
>>> properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide
>>> inactive icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)
>>>
>>> I have a list of current items and a list of past items
>>> My question is as follows:
>>> Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer
>>> installed in
>>> the computer how do I go about removing them?
>>>
>>> Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t
>>> figure it out
>>> but that doesn’t say much I don’t know much and you guys never
>>> stop amazing
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

that did the trick BUT one thing is off

i have a short cut of windows task manager in the start up file and it does
come up when I start the computer however it disappears when I minimize it I
have the hid when minimized option checked and so the icon should show up in
the task bar, like before. But its gone...

Under customize notification windows task manager I there and I have always
show checked. What also is off is the icon for it is for another program

please advise?

Thanks,

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> For an automated edit, go here...
>
> Read the instructions at the top.
> Scroll down to and click on...
> 53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area
>

> Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following
> registry key:
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
> ify
>
> How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283084
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:DF9964B2-93F9-40DD-AF91-88A0C69FA33F@microsoft.com,
> Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
> > properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide
> > inactive
> > icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)
> >
> > I have a list of current items and a list of past items
> > My question is as follows:
> > Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer
> > installed in the computer how do I go about removing them?
> >
> > Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t
> > figure it out but that doesn’t say much I don’t know much and you
> > guys never stop amazing me.
> >
> > Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
> >
> > Thanks,

L,

Nice that you got the other problem sorted out.

I have no idea why Task Manager's Notificition Area icon shows some times
and not others.

Hide when mimimized hides Task Manager's Taskbar button.

Taskbar button
A button that appears on the taskbar and corresponds to a running
application.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:05EDADCE-A89A-4323-BE8C-607BEC046E6C@microsoft.com,
Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> that did the trick BUT one thing is off
>
> i have a short cut of windows task manager in the start up file and
> it does come up when I start the computer however it disappears when
> I minimize it I have the hid when minimized option checked and so the
> icon should show up in the task bar, like before. But its gone...
>
> Under customize notification windows task manager I there and I have
> always show checked. What also is off is the icon for it is for
> another program
>
> please advise?
>
> Thanks,

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> For an automated edit, go here...
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top.
>> Scroll down to and click on...
>> 53. Remove Past Items From Notification Area
>>

>> Delete the IconStreams and PastIconsStream values from the following
>> registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\TrayNot
>> ify
>>
>> How to Clear Past Items from the Notification Area
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283084
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:DF9964B2-93F9-40DD-AF91-88A0C69FA33F@microsoft.com,
>> Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Under task bar and start up properties (I right click on start then
>>> properties then the taskbar tab and then hit customize the hide
>>> inactive
>>> icons needs to be check, but you experts know that already)
>>>
>>> I have a list of current items and a list of past items
>>> My question is as follows:
>>> Under past items there are lots of programs that are no longer
>>> installed in the computer how do I go about removing them?
>>>
>>> Some would say who cares but its for the challenge I couldn’t
>>> figure it out but that doesn’t say much I don’t know
>>> much and you guys never stop amazing me.
>>>
>>> Any advice comments suggestion about this procedure?
>>>
>>> Thanks,

i never had this problem before. I guess you solve one thing and i created
another

yes i hide when minimized so that i do NOT have a window in the task bar
(i.e. in between the quick lanch and the clock) but that way the windows
manager icon remains in the right hand side by the clock.

if anyone knows how to bring it back and name it properly i would appreciate
it. Could it be because it got named incorreclty after the procedure?

Thanks again,

TRENDING THREADS