Best motherboard for war gaming?

HAWK_60

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Looking to find a motherboard that offers all one needs to play the war games that's on the market today as well as any future software that might come along in the next few years, like to take advantage of having the full Graphics Power as well as speed for Gaming. I know one has to take into consideration other factors like ram, cpu, cooling, supply power, and so on! Which will help contributed to achiving that goal. Right now the more I been researching motherboards the more I am confuse because averyone has their own favorits. I don't want someone favorite, I just want what I just mention about that's all what say you? :bounce:

Solution
What you are asking doesn't really apply to a motherboard in general (well, how I'm reading it at least).

The difference in "high-end" and "stock" are the features of the motherboard and it's ability to overclock at higher levels or ability to run multiple GPU's. An example, a "high-end" motherboard using an i7 2600k, will perform just as well as a "stock" motherboard using an i7 2600k. You won't see a performance difference between the motherboards.

tecmo34

Administrator
You are leaving out a key point for the above question... what is your budget?

There is no sense in recommending a highend EVGA Classified SR2 with dual Xeon's running a 3-Way SLI of GTX 580's on Water-cooling, if you are looking for under $1000 (And yes... I think that is the best). Budget drives the best, as the best for your needs and within your budget. :D

HAWK_60

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I am not a rich man with that said, I will spend what it takes to achive within reason my goal. Knowing this is going to be and investment for the next fews years! P.S My last rig some four years ago cost me around three thousand!

HAWK_60

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
I heard that board has some issues like...
1. The boards has USB headers than ports on the motherboard.
2. 4 PCIe 2.0 slots, are cramped?
3. The the auto-tuning overclocker always wants to overclock at 1600 MHz RAM to 4. 1648 MHz which could causes system instability?

tecmo34

Administrator
1. Not sure what you mean with this statement? I think you left out a word or two when typing. The only thing on USB I see, is that it doesn't have USB 3.0 headers.

2. It has the standard one slot between each PCIe 2.0 slot, so I don't see it an issue. The fourth slot is the only concern, which it hangs a little over the board but most don't run 4-way :D

3. Well most people who overclock, don't recommend using an "auto-tuning" overclock but to overclock manually, so they can set everything up to meet their specific needs / setup.

HAWK_60

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Another question that just pop in my head is this. Just as a comparing propose only when it comes to motherboards, stock or overclocking? What I mean is if you were comparing an high end stock motherboard or one you have to overclock all the time to achive best results which one? If that make sence to you, if not I can refer it another way if I diden't make my point?

tecmo34

Administrator
What you are asking doesn't really apply to a motherboard in general (well, how I'm reading it at least).

The difference in "high-end" and "stock" are the features of the motherboard and it's ability to overclock at higher levels or ability to run multiple GPU's. An example, a "high-end" motherboard using an i7 2600k, will perform just as well as a "stock" motherboard using an i7 2600k. You won't see a performance difference between the motherboards.

Solution

HAWK_60

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
Thanks that does answer my question!

Right now what I am going with thus far is the following...

1. CPU Intel Core i7 Processor i7-2600K 3.4GHz 8MB
2. Asus Maximus IV Extreme Rebublic Intel P67 DDR3 2400
3. H70 Corsair Hydro High Performance CPU Cooler
4. Corsair 1200 Series Gold Power Supply
5. 4x OCZ 80 GB Vertex 2 Series SSD Hard Drives
6. 2x Packages of Corsair Memory Dominator 12GB (3X4GB) Memory Kit 2000MHz DDR3
7. 3X EVGA GeForce GTX 590 2.0 Graphics Cards (3way-SLI)

tecmo34

Administrator
HAWK_60... Thanks for the best answer nod...

A GTX 590 will only run in SLI (2 cards) for Quad-Core. It doesn't support three cards connected (3-way SLI).

Also, you want sets two sets of 8GB (2x4) for 16 GB versus 12GB (6x2), since your board only has four slots.