Bad Flash on Sapphire 4860

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Flash
  • Sapphire
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2010 1:02:41 AM

I have been trying for 3 days now to fix my graphics card. I was trying to flash a new bios to my Sapphire 4860 (not an ATI card, wasn't meant to be sold in the US, but Newegg had some), and needless to say, it failed. I am currently using my old video card (an MSI 7900GTX) to do things, but I really don't want to call my new card a loss.

When I start up my computer with the 4860 with both power connectors in, I get no beeps from my motherboard and I do not hear my floppy attempt to boot (nothing in it, but it tries anyway) There are 3 LED's on the video card, and the last one (D1603) always flashes when I turn on my system, then stops (the other 2 LED's tell me when the power cables aren't connected).

When I try to boot with 1 or none of the power cables inserted, then I get a long beep followed by 2 short ones in quick succession, then I hear my floppy attempt to boot, and my flash drive (boot drive with dos files and atiflash) light up for use.

Blind flashing wasn't working for me (did I mention that there is no display; kinda important; and I have no onboard graphics and 1 PCI-E x16 slot). I finally just booted with my 7900GTX to see if my autoexec was working, and it was, but I was getting an error from atiflash saying that it detected no adapters (I assume it wouldn't detect an Nvidia card).

So to summarize: system works with backup card; main card won't let system boot with power cables; remove power cables and the system boots with 1 long and 2 short beeps.

I need to know if this card is salvageable, and if it is, what do I need to do?

Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon II X4 630 @ 3.29 GHz
4 GB (2x2 GB) DDR2 800
GIGABYTE MA770-UD3 Motherboard
Sapphire 4860 1 GB (main card; bad flash)
MSI 7900GTX 512 MB (backup card; good)
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
If you need anymore specs, ask.

Thank you.

More about : bad flash sapphire 4860

a c 236 U Graphics card
May 31, 2010 1:17:42 AM

if I recall the ATI 4860 uses a cut down core from the 4890 and they always had issues from incorrect bus width, overheating, DOA cards, etc.,
m
l
May 31, 2010 1:25:10 AM

Maybe so, but this is from a bad flash (I tried to flash a 4890 bios to it).
m
l
!