Sign in with
Your question

Megahalems vs Hyper 212

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2010 8:11:22 PM

Just like the title says, I'm not sure which of these two HSFs I should get so I want your help in deciding

My build will consist of the HAF 932 tower so there's plenty of room in there for the huge Megahalems which is actually the HSF that I would prefer to buy as it should run about 5C cooler than the Hyper 212

Also, I don't mind the price difference between the two. Besides, since that Maximum PC article came out praising the 212 and all the websites doubled the price of it, there's only like a $25 difference now anyway. But even so, price doesn't matter so ignore that

But here are my 2 issues that are holding me up:

1) I want to use this RAM from G.Skill which has huge heat spreaders so I don't think the Megahalems will fit since the RAM will be in the way. If it doesn't fit, could I just use this RAM instead since it has no raised spreaders? Is there any performance difference between the two RAMs (besides it having higher voltage and a higher latency?) What do you guys suggest I do here?

2) My mobo will be the GA-X58A-UD3R and there is only one CPU fan header on the board. Does that mean that I can't do a push/pull fan setup on the Megahalems? With only one cpu fan header, how would I go about setting up a push/pull config?

More about : megahalems hyper 212

July 8, 2010 8:21:00 PM

1. Timing and voltage difference means a performance difference.

Whether it'll fit depends on MOBO. It'll fit on GA boards, if you don't use 1st RAM slot. This does mean no 12gb upgrade in the future, but then again, doubt you'll need it.

A Hyper 212 Plus is $30 on Amazon. Honestly, you really don't need more than unless you're doing extreme OCing.

2. Get a Y splitter. It'll allow you to plug both fans into the same fan header.

don't really need a 932, a 922 is more than adequate.
July 8, 2010 8:31:53 PM

banthracis said:
1. Timing and voltage difference means a performance difference.

Whether it'll fit depends on MOBO. It'll fit on GA boards, if you don't use 1st RAM slot. This does mean no 12gb upgrade in the future, but then again, doubt you'll need it.
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2262/dscf1122e.jpg

A Hyper 212 Plus is $30 on Amazon. Honestly, you really don't need more than unless you're doing extreme OCing.

2. Get a Y splitter. It'll allow you to plug both fans into the same fan header.

don't really need a 932, a 922 is more than adequate.

Wow, great answer. You even dug up a picture for me :) 

I do plan to OC to above 4GHz so I'd rather play it safe than sorry. I DO like the Hyper 212, but the Megahalems should keep me a few degrees cooler so I like that aspect of it...

Good advice on the 922 as well. I'll do research to make sure it will fit in the case. It should since the 922 and 932 are about the same size

Could you point me to what kind of splitter I would need to get for the cpu fans?

Also, which fans are recommended by you experts here since the Megahalems doesn't come with any? I would like them to be quiet and need to ensure that they'll easily attach to the Megahalems as well

Thanks!
Related resources
July 8, 2010 8:57:22 PM

banthracis said:
Fans
Scythe S flex or slipstream is the general recommendation. There are some better performance/$ fans, but they're a bit harder to find.

Any fan y splitter works.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Great, thanks.

One last thing: Is it required to get a 4-pin splitter since the connector on the mobo is 4-pin? Also, there are several slipstream fans out there, it appears. What size should I get for the HS? 120mm? Also, some say 1200 rpm while others are only 800 (the manufacturer desired range of the Megahalems is 800-1200) so which should I get? Remember, I want to keep noise down as much as possible... could you steer me here one more time?

Thanks
July 8, 2010 9:08:01 PM

Lower RPM=lower noise, but also lower airflow. Up to you how you wanna balance it.

The y splitter i linked IS a 4 pin PWM ...
July 8, 2010 9:18:30 PM

banthracis said:
Lower RPM=lower noise, but also lower airflow. Up to you how you wanna balance it.

The y splitter i linked IS a 4 pin PWM ...

Ok, thanks

I was confused on the 3-pin/4-pin connector because the item description said this:

"This 12-inch long, black sleeved fan splitter cable splits a PWM female fan connector to one 3-pin 2-wire power connector plus one PWM female fan connector"

Is 120mm the recommended fan size for a HS the size of a Megahalems?
July 8, 2010 11:18:58 PM

banthracis said:
yes

K, thanks...

Final Question: If it turns out the G.Skill 7-8-7-24 RAM with the big tall spreaders I linked above is too tall, which RAM without spreaders would you recommend I choose instead? (Note: I like the CAS 7 and low voltage - 1.5V - of the G.Skill and would like something as close to that as possible)
July 8, 2010 11:22:13 PM

Even the 1600/1900RPM Scythe fans don't produce massive amounts of noise.
July 8, 2010 11:41:46 PM

Silvune said:
Even the 1600/1900RPM Scythe fans don't produce massive amounts of noise.

Yea, I'm looking into their "Gentle Typhoon" series now. They have one that blows @ 1850rpm... two of those in a push/pull should be plenty sufficient for keeping an OC'd 930 cool

banthracis said:
Yes.

There, better? :D 

Only G skill has 1.5v ddr3 1600 cas 7 ram, and all of them have heat spreaders.

Closest alternative with same timings/speed is

If you want 1.5v it's down to 1333 speeds

Thanks. Would you recommend the Corsair you linked even though it runs at a higher voltage?.. or is higher voltage not a problem/factor?

Or would you recommend an entirely different RAM altogether (doesn't matter if it's different CAS or V - I trust your judgment)
July 9, 2010 12:03:00 AM

The problem with 1.65v RAM is that even though it's rated to work fine, Intel Mobo's seem to be having issues with them.

I personally use Corsair and G SKill RAM only. Problem is Corsairs in my experience don't undervolt well.

However, something you can consider trying is grabbing this Mushkin 8-8-8-24 DDR3 1600 kit and running it a 1.6v.

Either way, you'll want 1600 RAM for a 4ghz OC.

Really wish companies would stop it with the dumb heat spreaders. It's doesn't actually help temps...
July 9, 2010 12:22:12 AM

I haven't undervolted much, and I am running AMD, but I just got the XMS3 7-8-7's, and it passed a 7.5 hour torture at 1.63 fine.
July 9, 2010 12:29:22 AM

banthracis said:
The problem with 1.65v RAM is that even though it's rated to work fine, Intel Mobo's seem to be having issues with them.

I personally use Corsair and G SKill RAM only. Problem is Corsairs in my experience don't undervolt well.

However, something you can consider trying is grabbing this Mushkin 8-8-8-24 DDR3 1600 kit and running it a 1.6v.

Either way, you'll want 1600 RAM for a 4ghz OC.

Really wish companies would stop it with the dumb heat spreaders. It's doesn't actually help temps...

Great advice, thanks! I think I'll stick with those G.Skills then and just get some aftermarket hooks to attach the fans to the HS so that it all fits

Thanks again :) 
!