Sapphire Vapor X 5870 2GB

brokenlink

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
Well...new build and I had to RMA my 1GB version of this card due to the GSOD or "grey screen lockup"

The only reason I ordered the 2GB version is because its "new" and I hope the bad batch of chips had been sold by the time they put these cards together........ :??:

I was wondering if anyone has the 2GB version or if not are the 10.5 drivers working ok so far for anyone who had the GSOD with other driver versions??

We were gonna get gas logs for the winter, but I'm holding out because if I have to RMA the 2GB card when I get it Tuesday....the I'm getting the GTX 480 and killing 2 birds with 1 stone! lol jk :sarcastic:

thanks!!!

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Yes, but when we had 256MB cards as the norm, a few years later 512 MB was the norm, but the old chip was still strong enough to process all, same thing with the transition from 512MB to 1024MB.

Sure, 1024 MB is enough for all games now, but as hard as it is to imagine, in one or two years time you will be thankful that you bought the 2048MB version because the frame buffer is then still big enough, and the GPU is also still strong enough for most games.

I am now regretting having bought the 512MB version of a GTS250, (borrowed friends 1GB model), and with current games it made the difference.

Since it only costs a bit more compared to the overall price of the card, you might just as well add on the extra gig. Sure, no current games will use it, (except GTA4), but in one or two years time you'll be thankful.

brokenlink

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
thanks for the replies pals.......

yeah since NOBODY knows what causes the GSOD..... ATI said it was a Windows update and later pulled that idea as their reason.....I'm hoping it was a chipset problem and being that the 2GB version is new......maybe it's got the better "batch" of chipsets :D

one thing about Nvidia I've always liked is the stable drivers they have.......but yeah I really don't want a piece of plastic in my case running at 110C all the time

dinkle85

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Oooo... In malaysia it was so hard to find that version, mybe i will stay in USA. Easy to find thing like that.... :)

So... What a different between HD 5870 1GB with HD 5870 2GB....????

brokenlink

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I think it's a slower clock on the memory.......

other than that the only game Maximum PC said they got to run faster was AvP

the memory comes into play if you play at SUPER HIGH RESOLUTIONS.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

Same clock speeds as reference model, more VRAM... Sapphire makes a toxic version aswell, although it's just OCed a bit

Memory becomes useful with higher resolutions, with 3 screens not much difference, maybe 2 or 3 frames, or with higher AA settings.

One game that I can think of that can use more than 1GB with 1 screen: GTA4.

/end rant

brokenlink

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
ok pals..........I got my Vapor X 5870 2GB version today and put it in.

played MW2 for about 40 min with no "grey screen lockup"...... still has fingers crossed.......

2 funny things thought---

1) I ran the Windows Index Tool again and my 1GB version of this exact card scored a 7.8 and the 2GB version scored a 7.7 (I'm sure that's nothing though)
2) when the Tool was running and I'm in game...I'm getting that coil whine some people are getting (either from the PSU or the card itself)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-qHudFBuXI

some say it's the PSU........I can't tell. UPDATE: I just found this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4d23F2jehQ&feature=related

:pt1cable: :fou: