Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB Short Circuited my Motherboard, Replace or Upgrade?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 10, 2011 6:36:36 PM

So, one of my friends plugged their iphone into the front USB connector on my case and my computer immediately shut off, never to turn on again. I don't know exactly what happened because I wasn't in the room, but I figure that the case connector was faulty (Damn it Coolermaster, I trusted you!)
Replacing the powersupply with one I knew worked didn't help, no fan startup or anything on the MB when I flipped the switch, are there any other ways I can try to get it to work? I fear it's completely fried though.

I had GA 965P DS3 with a Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe LGA 775 and a Nvidia GTX260, is it worth it to upgrade to a better processor/MB now, or do you think overclocking my processor will keep it viable for a time being provided I get a new video card?

If I do decide to keep my system (assuming my CPU still works, I have no way of testing it) can anyone suggest a good replacement for the motherboard? It seems like Socket 775 boards pretty rare now, and the best I can find is the Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G. (I want one with at least three usable PCI slots, as I want to use this system as a HTPC in the future)

Best solution

a c 1154 V Motherboard
April 11, 2011 7:49:43 AM

The only thing you can try is resetting BIOS by pulling the motherboard battery for few sec if you have not already done so.
That GA-P43-ES3G is as good as it gets in replacements boards now with DDR2 support. The question is though if you should spend the money rather on a new CPU/mobo/ram combo. (I personally would do that)
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2011 2:25:20 PM

Did you disconnect the front panel USB port from the MB and tried to boot.
m
l
Related resources
April 14, 2011 8:05:35 PM

Thanks guys, the first thing I did before trying to boot it back up was pull the connectors for the front panel, and that was a no go.

I also tried pulling the battery for a few seconds and putting it back in, but to no avail. I think it's pretty much scrap metal now. Oh well.
m
l
April 21, 2011 12:58:41 AM

Best answer selected by Daedolus.
m
l
April 13, 2013 12:09:08 AM

I have the CM Storm Trooper and mine done the exact same thing. I disconnected my front panel usb from the mobo and it did nothing but the same. So i disconnected everything that was connected on mobo to the case and it came on. I started plugging things back in and realized it was my usb and could keep everything connected as long as i didnt connect the usb cable while the computer was off. Hope this helped.
m
l
!