Radeon 5770 seems to have killed itself....

Hi guys,

So up until yesterday I never had a problem with my video card or graphics. I was playing Starcraft II yesterday, which isn't that graphics intensive, gearing up for a big battle when all of a sudden my game crashes and the screen goes black. I reboot, and all of a sudden logging into windows is very difficult. It just freezes, hangs, starts working, and freezes again in a few seconds.

At first I thought it was windows, but I've since isolated it to the graphics card because I can operate windows perfectly in safe mode and in normal mode when I disable the display adapter in device manager.

I tried a bunch of things in the process, rolling back to restore points, updating windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers. Until finally I said screw it and reinstalled windows fresh, then updated the drivers to the latest one. That didn't seem to work, as I continued to get the same freezes, colour flashes, and lock ups even on a fresh system. Sometimes I can get as far as loading up windows normally, but once I try to do anything regarding the video card (like clicking advanced options in the screen resolution, or the 3D tab in catalyst), it will lock up and go haywire.

I just put the machine together a month ago and I don't hardcore game or overclock, so I'm kinda annoyed.

Windows 7 64bit
6gb ram
1.5tb HD
ATI Radeon 5770
ASUS P6T Mobo

Any suggestions on how I can fix it before I return the card and get a new one? Thanks guys.
5 answers Last reply
More about radeon 5770 killed itself
  1. What about your Power Supply Unit? brand? model?
  2. Ultra LSP 750W ATX
  3. Friends, the issue has been solved!

After all that crap, I was pretty much about to send it in. As a last ditch, I figured I may as well try and install the drivers that came with the card on a CD-rom. It seemed to have done the trick, for whatever reason the most up to date drivers being installed straight in weren't working. But I guess the old old driver had something the new ones didn't, and I was able to upgrade over top the old drivers to more current ones.

Go figure! System seems stable now, I'm using 10.4 Catalyst, probably won't go to 10.5 unless I need to.
  4. Sometime, the older driver could be more stable than the latest one... :)
    I still use old driver, the one which came in the CD (9.7) and never update it. But it is still running with no problem.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics