Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 5770 seems to have killed itself....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 31, 2010 2:46:06 AM

Hi guys,

So up until yesterday I never had a problem with my video card or graphics. I was playing Starcraft II yesterday, which isn't that graphics intensive, gearing up for a big battle when all of a sudden my game crashes and the screen goes black. I reboot, and all of a sudden logging into windows is very difficult. It just freezes, hangs, starts working, and freezes again in a few seconds.

At first I thought it was windows, but I've since isolated it to the graphics card because I can operate windows perfectly in safe mode and in normal mode when I disable the display adapter in device manager.

I tried a bunch of things in the process, rolling back to restore points, updating windows, updating drivers, rolling back drivers. Until finally I said screw it and reinstalled windows fresh, then updated the drivers to the latest one. That didn't seem to work, as I continued to get the same freezes, colour flashes, and lock ups even on a fresh system. Sometimes I can get as far as loading up windows normally, but once I try to do anything regarding the video card (like clicking advanced options in the screen resolution, or the 3D tab in catalyst), it will lock up and go haywire.

I just put the machine together a month ago and I don't hardcore game or overclock, so I'm kinda annoyed.

Windows 7 64bit
6gb ram
1.5tb HD
ATI Radeon 5770
ASUS P6T Mobo

Any suggestions on how I can fix it before I return the card and get a new one? Thanks guys.

More about : radeon 5770 killed

May 31, 2010 9:50:15 AM

What about your Power Supply Unit? brand? model?
m
l
May 31, 2010 10:11:37 PM

Ultra LSP 750W ATX
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2010 6:50:57 AM

Friends, the issue has been solved!

After all that crap, I was pretty much about to send it in. As a last ditch, I figured I may as well try and install the drivers that came with the card on a CD-rom. It seemed to have done the trick, for whatever reason the most up to date drivers being installed straight in weren't working. But I guess the old old driver had something the new ones didn't, and I was able to upgrade over top the old drivers to more current ones.

Go figure! System seems stable now, I'm using 10.4 Catalyst, probably won't go to 10.5 unless I need to.

m
l
June 3, 2010 8:26:08 AM

Sometime, the older driver could be more stable than the latest one... :) 
I still use old driver, the one which came in the CD (9.7) and never update it. But it is still running with no problem.
m
l
!