Computer Performance Down 80% Since New Addition!

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Hi, Well I have a
Phenom II 945 Quad
PNY GTS 250
500gb HD
4gb DDR3 1600 Ram
Asus Mobo

I had a very crappy 680w psu and it fryed or the connectors went bad within 2 weeks of the purchase so i bought a better but 100w less psu.

Since the addition my FPS in wow Went from 100-150 On High Settings In Normal Areas and 40-60 In High Populated areas
to 30-50 on LOW settings in normal areas and 10-25 in High Populated areas on LOW settings. Now if there are any tests I could run what can I do?

tecmo34

Administrator
Well, your PSU might have taken something else with it or damaged something when it fried.

I would look to run Prime95 for a couple of hours and monitor your temps. Also, I would run a few passes of MemTest86 to check on your RAM.

Outside of that, you can run PCMark Vantage & 3DMark Vantage free downloads (one-time try) and see how your performance and what happens during those applications.

tecmo34

Administrator

This site has links to pretty much everything I mentioned...

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/latest-overclocking-programs-system-info-benchmarking-stability-tools-30530/

tecmo34

Administrator
You need to check to make sure your heat sink is fully attached and if so, you need to remove it, clean off your thermal compound and reapply the compound and heat sink to get those temps done. If you are running a stock cooler, you might want to look at getting an aftermarket cooler, as well.

tecmo34

Administrator

You could've knocked something loose when switching out the PSU or it could've fried your CPU/motherboard to some degree (worse case...)

obubdeno

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Im not tech savvy, From numerous problems with the pc i have gained LOTS of knowledge and I feel i could even probably put together my own pc from all the digging out ive had to do, so I do fully regret that purchase, the whole computer is under warranty though, thank god, can you explain to me how to work witht he heatsink and cpu, thats one thing I have not learned